The Student Room Group

International student coming to the UK

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend currently lives in Venezuela and is thinking about moving to the UK permanently and also going to university here. She also has a Portuguese passport as her mother is from there so does qualify as an EU student also I hope.

We are trying to research the requirements for coming to university here but there seems to be a lot of information. I didn't apply to uni myself so I am not that familiar with the process.

A few important questions:

How does she apply for a tuition fee loan?

Does she qualify for any kind of maintenance loan or grant? ( she will not have enough money to pay for everything herself)

Does she need to have lived here for 3 years before applying? That seems to be something that is talked about sometimes but it's quite unclear.

Anything else that we should be made aware of?

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can help :smile:
Original post by Geg1700
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend currently lives in Venezuela and is thinking about moving to the UK permanently and also going to university here. She also has a Portuguese passport as her mother is from there so does qualify as an EU student also I hope.

We are trying to research the requirements for coming to university here but there seems to be a lot of information. I didn't apply to uni myself so I am not that familiar with the process.

A few important questions:

How does she apply for a tuition fee loan?

Does she qualify for any kind of maintenance loan or grant? ( she will not have enough money to pay for everything herself)

Does she need to have lived here for 3 years before applying? That seems to be something that is talked about sometimes but it's quite unclear.

Anything else that we should be made aware of?

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can help :smile:

She would need to live in the EU for 3 years to be eligible for a tuition fee loan and for 3 years in the UK to be eligible for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Student finance is based on residence not nationality. She is welcome to apply but she'd have to pay for everything herself. Some unis might consider her an international student for fee purposes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending