The Student Room Group

Is it even worth going to Bulgaria?

I have been considering medicine in Eastern Europe as a backup if I do not receive any offers for studying in the UK.

Though after hearing some people say it’s very difficult to come back to the UK, I have been having doubts.

What do opportunities look like for Eastern European graduates? Are UK students much preferred?

I would also like to clear up the whole FY1 or stand alone FY2 thing. I have heard many people say different things about it. Which one is more usual and is there one which holds significantly more opportunity over the other?

Scroll to see replies

may be able to advise on the FY1/FY2 routes, if not also some of the other points?
Thanks a lot for the response. Do you have any resources you recommend for researching studying abroad and the process of it all? It sounds silly but a lot of what’s out there is posted by those sketchy agencies. If not don’t worry about it, you’ve been very helpful :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by TryingMyHardest
I have been considering medicine in Eastern Europe as a backup if I do not receive any offers for studying in the UK.

Though after hearing some people say it’s very difficult to come back to the UK, I have been having doubts.

What do opportunities look like for Eastern European graduates? Are UK students much preferred?

I would also like to clear up the whole FY1 or stand alone FY2 thing. I have heard many people say different things about it. Which one is more usual and is there one which holds significantly more opportunity over the other?

Last I heard, the majority of international students in Sofia and Plovdiv are British citizens. They wouldn’t be there if they thought they were gonna have problems returning to work in the NHS. My best guess is that British students are still going to Bulgaria even after Brexit because these universities are the most established in sending graduates to the NHS every year.

If you’re still worried about it, I recommend you take a trip to Bulgaria, meet some of the international students for yourself, visit the universities you’re interested in, and ask the students all your questions. I’m sure any of them would be happy to help you.
Original post by asif007
Last I heard, the majority of international students in Sofia and Plovdiv are British citizens. They wouldn’t be there if they thought they were gonna have problems returning to work in the NHS. My best guess is that British students are still going to Bulgaria even after Brexit because these universities are the most established in sending graduates to the NHS every year.

If you’re still worried about it, I recommend you take a trip to Bulgaria, meet some of the international students for yourself, visit the universities you’re interested in, and ask the students all your questions. I’m sure any of them would be happy to help you.

Well I was hoping there'd be international students on here so I didn't have to take the trip to Bulgaria lol
Reply 5
Well I was hoping there'd be international students on here so I didn't have to take the trip to Bulgaria lol

There aren’t many international students on here tbh. Most of the responses will come from people who studied at British universities. See if you can connect with international students over social media or LinkedIn?

If making a short trip to Bulgaria is something you'd like to avoid, are you really going to be happy to live and work there for several years?

(I'm not getting at you, I just think it's a question you should be asking yourself. Your subconscious may be trying to tell you something.)
Original post by asif007
There aren’t many international students on here tbh. Most of the responses will come from people who studied at British universities. See if you can connect with international students over social media or LinkedIn?

True
Original post by skylark2
If making a short trip to Bulgaria is something you'd like to avoid, are you really going to be happy to live and work there for several years?

(I'm not getting at you, I just think it's a question you should be asking yourself. Your subconscious may be trying to tell you something.)

I have been and would go back if I could. I would probably go abroad even if I was doing medicine or had an offer for medicine anyway.
Reply 9
, Hi, do you think in the future UK grads will be preferred over international grads for foundation year places? I have heard someone say that for dentistry foundation training, UK grads are given priority and this is likely to happen in the future for medical students as well.
Original post by hohef
@ecolier, Hi, do you think in the future UK grads will be preferred over international grads for foundation year places? I have heard someone say that for dentistry foundation training, UK grads are given priority and this is likely to happen in the future for medical students as well.

Hey I’ve done further research since I’ve asked this question.

You skip FY1 completely due to your internship.

There are 2 types of jobs for FY2, training and non-training. The training jobs are the standard foundation year positions.

The usual training positions are usually taken up by UK graduates, who are usually prioritised, so you probably won’t get into one of those.

The usual route for international graduates is to get a NON-TRAINING FY2 post. This means you won’t be trained during your time there, but you will be working as an FY2 if that makes sense.

FY2 non training positions are very easy to find for IMGs and you shouldn’t have a problem.

You can do this for a few months and get your competencies signed I believe, which will allow you to continue to further training as usual just like someone who finished the usual foundation years.

This is just what I’ve got from my own research. I’m now no longer considering this path for other reasons.
(edited 2 years ago)

There are 2 types of jobs for FY2, training and non-training. The training jobs are the standard foundation year positions.

The usual training positions are usually taken up by UK graduates, who are usually prioritised, so you probably won’t get into one of those.

The usual route for international graduates is to get a NON-TRAINING FY2 post. This means you won’t be trained during your time there, but you will be working as an FY2 if that makes sense.

FY2 non training positions are very easy to find for IMGs and you shouldn’t have a problem.

You can do this for a few months and get your competencies signed I believe, which will allow you to continue to further training as usual just like someone who finished the usual foundation years.

This is just what I’ve got from my own research. I’m now no longer considering this path for other reasons.

Also I will mention, while you will be qualified to go into further training, you will be dis-favoured since you will only have a few months of experience in the UK after working as a non-training FY2 doctor.

This means you could be in FY2 for months to years before you get into your desired program.

If you have any further questions please ask

Thank you for providing all this information! Best of luck with your future endeavours!

Hey, I am studying at Sofia Medical University and I can tell you that is amazing. Go for it, with an agency, but be careful which one will you choose, there are a lot of fake ones
Original post by MaryAtaewa
Hey, I am studying at Sofia Medical University and I can tell you that is amazing. Go for it, with an agency, but be careful which one will you choose, there are a lot of fake ones

What A Levels/GCSEs did you get?

What is your plan when you get back to the UK, and is what I said in this thread 5 days ago true? Or do you have another route in mind?
What A Levels/GCSEs did you get?

What is your plan when you get back to the UK, and is what I said in this thread 5 days ago true? Or do you have another route in mind?

I got 2C in my A levels.
After 2025 no matter if you graduate in the UK or anywhere in the world you will still need to pass the UKMLA.
For sure I will get back to the UK and continue studying and working.
Still, I will highly recommend to everyone who is facing problems getting to medical universities in the UK to apply for Bulgaria. But all of you must use an agency, otherwise, the application is impossible. Also, be very careful which agency will you use. I got lied twice till I found the best one ever.
I got 2C in my A levels.
After 2025 no matter if you graduate in the UK or anywhere in the world you will still need to pass the UKMLA.
Still, I will highly recommend to everyone who is facing problems getting to medical universities in the UK to apply for Bulgaria. But all of you must use an agency, otherwise, the application is impossible. Also, be very careful which agency will you use. I got lied twice till I found the best one ever.

im planning to study dentistry in plovdiv this year. im applying through an agency. do you know if admission for dentistry is competitive cause i didnt get the best Leaving cert/A level grades
Original post by bilal1320
im planning to study dentistry in plovdiv this year. im applying through an agency. do you know if admission for dentistry is competitive cause i didnt get the best Leaving cert/A level grades

Hi, I am a 1st yr Med student in Plovdiv. Admission is slowly starting to get competitive as many students have found that bulgaria does dentistry and medicine. Personally, if you smash the entrance exams you will be fine. Many students have a range of A level grades and it does correlate to your studies in Dentistry/Medical studies. Dont stress just try to do past papers and youll be fine.
I got 2C in my A levels.

if you dont mind, could you tell me which agency you applied through?

The Bulgarians on the course will be on a separate course to international students. There is medicine for Bulgarians which only Bulgarians can apply to get into where fees are significantly lower however, internationals can only apply through international so I dont think you would encounter many bulgarians on your course unless they have moved from the UK or elsewhere into the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending