The Student Room Group

Which calculator are you allowed in C2?

Hi.

I am using the Casio fx-570ES Plus calculator and have been for the past two or three years. Its what I'm used it and it's never gone wrong for me.

However, I heard some people say that, in Maths exams (such as C2 where you are allowed a calculator), your calculator must not have the ability to integrate or differentiate - or something like that. Does that disqualify my calculator?

If so, which calculator would you recommend? Anything similar to my present one?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Air Conditioner
Hi.

I am using the Casio fx-570ES Plus calculator and have been for the past two or three years. Its what I'm used it and it's never gone wrong for me.

However, I heard some people say that, in Maths exams (such as C2 where you are allowed a calculator), your calculator must not have the ability to integrate or differentiate - or something like that. Does that disqualify my calculator?

If so, which calculator would you recommend? Anything similar to my present one?

Thanks in advance.

Your calculator just does numerical differentiation and integration. This is ok for all UK examiners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Your calculator just does numerical differentiation and integration. This is ok for all UK examiners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your answer - out of curiosity - what calculators are not allowed in the exam? Like, how does my 'numerical differentiation/integration' one differ from an illegal one?
If it's symbolic differentiation/integration it isn't allowed.

E.g. In terms of x or any trigonometric stuff.
Original post by Air Conditioner
Thanks for your answer - out of curiosity - what calculators are not allowed in the exam? Like, how does my 'numerical differentiation/integration' one differ from an illegal one?

Some graphical calculators can differentiate and integrate symbolically e.g. tell you that x^2 differentiates to 2x
These are not allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest