The Student Room Group

Anyone considering 2016 entry for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairychocolate
How do you know Keele is very ps-based?

Keele aren't PS based, tbh, they don't even look at it properly because in their words 'we don't know who wrote it'. They do however look at work experience and voluntary work more that anything, so if you apply, you'll get a form to fill in detailing voluntary work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Ive just done my ukcat and scored 652.5 average band 1.
I also have 6A* 5A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with A*AA predictions
Where do you guys advise i should apply to?
I was looking at Liverpool, Sheffield, Leicester and another

Any comment is appreciated and thank you very much :biggrin:
I read so many books such as Genome by matt ridley, the selfish Gene by Dawkins, bad science by goldacre and cancer ward by solzhenistyn, but I don't think they are worth mentioning in my personal statement, do you think i should scrap the extra reading paragraph for my plans for the gap year?
Reply 1923
Original post by Surya_
Do you like chicken wings?

Do you carry a lunchbox? :wink:
Original post by loooolo12345
Hi guys,

Ive just done my ukcat and scored 652.5 average band 1.
I also have 6A* 5A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with A*AA predictions
Where do you guys advise i should apply to?
I was looking at Liverpool, Sheffield, Leicester and another

Any comment is appreciated and thank you very much :biggrin:

Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths. :smile:
Reply 1925
Hey guys, I'm considering to apply to Glasgow and Cardiff, but are these two uni PBL based?
Original post by jyyl
Hey guys, I'm considering to apply to Glasgow and Cardiff, but are these two uni PBL based?

Cardiff is CBL based and has few lectures. You learn a lot through anatomy and clinical sessions, you also have early patient contact from year 1!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I am in an American curriculum school which does not do GCSE's. I only have a high school transcript as GCSE equivalents.

But I am doing the IB. My main concern is not having GCSE grades? Is it okay to apply to medical schools without GCSE's and show them my high school transcript on UCAS?

I am predicted 41 out of 45 for IB
Chem HL 6
Bio HL 7
Psych HL 7
Math SL 7

My UKCAT score avg is 772

What are my chances? I want to emphasize London universities. Any thoughts?

Help much appreciated
Original post by Hectors
I read so many books such as Genome by matt ridley, the selfish Gene by Dawkins, bad science by goldacre and cancer ward by solzhenistyn, but I don't think they are worth mentioning in my personal statement, do you think i should scrap the extra reading paragraph for my plans for the gap year?

You have that problem too???? I've also read Genome by Matt Ridley and Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. I want to put at least something down to show that I have done some wider reader but not both (in case they grill me on it) but I'm not sure which one would be better or more relevant to put down. At the moment I'm thinking of putting down Bad Science as I enjoy it and understand it more...
Original post by cookiemonster15
You have that problem too???? I've also read Genome by Matt Ridley and Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. I want to put at least something down to show that I have done some wider reader but not both (in case they grill me on it) but I'm not sure which one would be better or more relevant to put down. At the moment I'm thinking of putting down Bad Science as I enjoy it and understand it more...

be aware that they will ask you about any book or project you specifically reference.

i did an open university course on genetics and was well and truly grilled on pharmacogenetics (a small paragraph on the course i did) at my interview, they asked me what the biggest development was in genetics based on my project and as soon as i mentioned pharmacogenetics they were asking so many questions!

its great to reference things you do, just make sure you know them inside out before interview!
Original post by Natalierm2707
be aware that they will ask you about any book or project you specifically reference.

i did an open university course on genetics and was well and truly grilled on pharmacogenetics (a small paragraph on the course i did) at my interview, they asked me what the biggest development was in genetics based on my project and as soon as i mentioned pharmacogenetics they were asking so many questions!

its great to reference things you do, just make sure you know them inside out before interview!

Thanks for the tip :smile:

And Oh God, It's always fun to know what lies ahead... -_-
Original post by dairychocolate
How do you know Keele is very ps-based?

I sort of figured it out from their layed back approach to academics. They don't have cut offs or ranks or anything I don't think
So ukcat was beyond disappointing. Just missed the cut off scores for certain unis.
Can anyone suggest any unis with my stats
Gcse:7a*1a
As AAAA
A2 predicted : A*AA
UKCAT 610 band 2 sjt
At this point non bmat suggestions would be awesome but I know it's probably inevitable to have to do it
Reply 1933
How hard is it to get into graduate entry from biomed?? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Azula
How hard is it to get into graduate entry from biomed?? Thanks :smile:

Two possible answers. :smile:

1) Easier than if you didn't do Biomed. Most universities with a graduate entry programme will accept any previous degree as long as it's a 2:1 or higher (some accept 2:2 as well) but there are some who insist that the first degree has to be in a science subject so you have more choice with a Biomed degree.

2) Harder than getting into regular medicine. Most medical schools have fewer than 100 places on their graduate entry programmes each year and far more people apply to occupy those places than regular medicine so the applicant to place ratios reach crazy numbers like 25:1 in some places.

Personally I think graduate entry should be the last option anybody considers since it's both more expensive (its funding in the future is uncertain as strictly speaking you're only supposed to get student finance for your first degree), more time-consuming and more competitive. A triple whammy, if you will. But my sister's doing it so I guess I can only hope. xD

Edit: There's a great guide for graduate entry medicine on this website that I can't find the link for but if you want you can Google 'graduate entry medicine guide TSR' to find it. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Whatisanerdeven?
So ukcat was beyond disappointing. Just missed the cut off scores for certain unis.
Can anyone suggest any unis with my stats
Gcse:7a*1a
As AAAA
A2 predicted : A*AA
UKCAT 610 band 2 sjt
At this point non bmat suggestions would be awesome but I know it's probably inevitable to have to do it

I would recommend doing the BMAT and applying to at least one university that uses it. Non-BMAT suggestions would be as follows:

1) Cardiff - They rarely use the UKCAT at all except in situations where they're torn between two candidates and need a tie-breaker. They do require good GCSEs though and score your best nine including English, sciences and maths, which might put you at a disadvantage if you only have 8 GCSEs. Definitely email them to ask about it. And make the rest of your application impressive so that you don't end up in the tie-breaker situation (you're unlikely to anyway).

2) Bristol - They don't use an entrance exam. You will need a very, very impressive personal statement for this reason because it's one of the most competitive medical schools in the country as it gets all the applicants who're interested in going there and all the ones who didn't do well on the UKCAT as well. Like, literally, make sure your personal statement has been checked and given the green light by everybody you know before sending it off as their selection criteria is 80 percent non-academic and 20 percent academic, meaning after you've got the predictions/achieved grades they're looking for, they're not going to look at your academics again.
Reply 1936
Original post by Hydeman
Two possible answers. :smile:

1) Easier than if you didn't do Biomed. Most universities with a graduate entry programme will accept any previous degree as long as it's a 2:1 or higher (some accept 2:2 as well) but there are some who insist that the first degree has to be in a science subject so you have more choice with a Biomed degree.

2) Harder than getting into regular medicine. Most medical schools have fewer than 100 places on their graduate entry programmes each year and far more people apply to occupy those places than regular medicine so the applicant to place ratios reach crazy numbers like 25:1 in some places.

Personally I think graduate entry should be the last option anybody considers since it's both more expensive (its funding in the future is uncertain as strictly speaking you're only supposed to get student finance for your first degree), more time-consuming and more competitive. A triple whammy, if you will. But my sister's doing it so I guess I can only hope. xD

Edit: There's a great guide for graduate entry medicine on this website that I can't find the link for but if you want you can Google 'graduate entry medicine guide TSR' to find it. :biggrin:

Thank you so much, I will definitely apply this year then
The thing is I don't have much work experience, but even more so my UKCAT is in 5 days and I doubt I will do very well (I'm talking 500s!!)
Original post by Azula
Thank you so much, I will definitely apply this year then
The thing is I don't have much work experience, but even more so my UKCAT is in 5 days and I doubt I will do very well (I'm talking 500s!!)

Just work your socks off to do well on the UKCAT! I highly recommend getting Medify for a week and doing all the questions on it - twice. Don't worry, you'll be fine. :smile:

There's still time before the deadline to get work experience. Are you going into year 13? If so, you have the option of taking a gap year and getting work experience between now and this time next year.
Reply 1938
Original post by Hydeman
Just work your socks off to do well on the UKCAT! I highly recommend getting Medify for a week and doing all the questions on it - twice. Don't worry, you'll be fine. :smile:

There's still time before the deadline to get work experience. Are you going into year 13? If so, you have the option of taking a gap year and getting work experience between now and this time next year.

Yeah i'm in year 13 and my school has an internal deadline of next week for PS and most of UCAS stuff.
I think it's a bit late for Medify so i'll just use the online practice Q's and mocks on the official website I guess :colonhash:
Thanks for the motivation lool
Original post by Hydeman
I would recommend doing the BMAT and applying to at least one university that uses it. Non-BMAT suggestions would be as follows:

1) Cardiff - They rarely use the UKCAT at all except in situations where they're torn between two candidates and need a tie-breaker. They do require good GCSEs though and score your best nine including English, sciences and maths, which might put you at a disadvantage if you only have 8 GCSEs. Definitely email them to ask about it. And make the rest of your application impressive so that you don't end up in the tie-breaker situation (you're unlikely to anyway).

2) Bristol - They don't use an entrance exam. You will need a very, very impressive personal statement for this reason because it's one of the most competitive medical schools in the country as it gets all the applicants who're interested in going there and all the ones who didn't do well on the UKCAT as well. Like, literally, make sure your personal statement has been checked and given the green light by everybody you know before sending it off as their selection criteria is 80 percent non-academic and 20 percent academic, meaning after you've got the predictions/achieved grades they're looking for, they're not going to look at your academics again.

Thank you so much! I will defo email Cardiff and for Bristol im still going to do some digging and research.

I'm definitely applying to Birmingham and keele because my academics make up for the low ukcat for bham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending