The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

An interesting debate (potentially)

Hello Everybody,

I got to uni a bit early this morning (most unlike me, I’m normally an Olympic-quality over-sleeper) and stumbled across a local artist who was using one of our spaces to put on an exhibit. There were loads of interactive pieces and some really interesting images. The main theme was concerned with the role of the internet, and primarily social media, in community.

The piece in the photo below asks the question “Does social media make you feel more connected with your community?”… and, I suppose, to cut a long story short, I’m interested in what you all think?

#yes #no.jpg

Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from some of you. Until then, have a good afternoon,

Simon :kungfu:
hi Simon, this looks really interesting, is the exhibit still on? In answer to your question, my thoughts on social media are that it creates superficial links between groups and individuals, also the anonymity allows people to create facades of themselves which simply don't marry up to reality.

Saying that, as you get older, go to uni, start work and your social circles become more disparate then it is an ideal medium for keeping relationships alive despite distance.

Original post by London Metropolitan University
Hello Everybody,

I got to uni a bit early this morning (most unlike me, I’m normally an Olympic-quality over-sleeper) and stumbled across a local artist who was using one of our spaces to put on an exhibit. There were loads of interactive pieces and some really interesting images. The main theme was concerned with the role of the internet, and primarily social media, in community.

The piece in the photo below asks the question “Does social media make you feel more connected with your community?”… and, I suppose, to cut a long story short, I’m interested in what you all think?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from some of you. Until then, have a good afternoon,

Simon :kungfu:
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by Paulwyn
hi Simon, this looks really interesting, is the exhibit still on? In answer to your question, my thoughts on social media are that it creates superficial links between groups and individuals, also the anonymity allows people to create facades of themselves which simply don't marry up to reality.

Saying that, as you get older, go to uni, start work and your social circles become more disparate then it is an ideal medium for keeping relationships alive despite distance.

It was, it was great. Unfortunately, it finished a little while ago but the artist is Nye Thompson and it think it was called Museum of the Shared...

I just Googled it and found her website, might be worth keeping an eye on it, as I'm sure she'll repeat it or move onto to something else: I went to the closing event and it seemed like it had been quite successful!

I think what you've said about social media and the creation of facades is very interesting, especially in light of the media coverage around trolling. This perception of anonymity and the cloaking-invulnerability it provides, not only gives people the power to type despicable things but somehow it seems to be inherently character-warping: people write things that they would never dream of saying. Although, as you suggest, the utilitarian function and efficiency of social media seem to overwhelm these downsides.

There's a quote on the tip of my brain about power corrupting and magnets but I can't quite coax it out.

There is this on at the uni currently though, I've not been yet (it's on a different campus to the one where my course is based) but I'm definitely planning on it. Perhaps check it out, if you're interested.

Anyway, thanks for the response (it was getting a bit tumble-weed in here!).

Simon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending