The Student Room Group

Why have applications dropped off so much?

Bit of a random one, but I've been lurking on the Oxbrdige forums for years, and I've noticed that last year, and even more so this year, the Oxford Postgrad application thread has been far quieter than usual. Any thoughts on why? Is it a TSR thing? Are fewer people applying? If fewer people are applying then why is that so?
Original post by Anonymous
Bit of a random one, but I've been lurking on the Oxbrdige forums for years, and I've noticed that last year, and even more so this year, the Oxford Postgrad application thread has been far quieter than usual. Any thoughts on why? Is it a TSR thing? Are fewer people applying? If fewer people are applying then why is that so?

Maybe fewer people applying, potentially better platforms to use, people having issues when it comes to posting etc

but this is just speculation on my part
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1

I would say Tsr has lost many experienced advisors and users over last year.With no advice available why post.

That doesn't quite paint the full picture. On the 28th of December 2022, the Oxford Postgrad 2023 entry only had 131 posts. Today, 28th December 2023, the Oxford Postgrad 2024 entry has 149 posts. So actually it seems like they're getting roughly the same amount of traffic, if not an increase this year compared to last year!
I think less students are aware of TSR now, there is lots of fast free advice available on instagram & tiktok that I think they are now more popular online. The thread-post format of tsr allows for greater detail and more tailored advice but for lots of students I just don’t think they feel the need to move from the more popular socialmedia platforms.

Additionally as already highlighted lots of very informed users have also dropped off in a fairly steady decline the last few years unfortunately.
Original post by Scotland Yard
That doesn't quite paint the full picture. On the 28th of December 2022, the Oxford Postgrad 2023 entry only had 131 posts. Today, 28th December 2023, the Oxford Postgrad 2024 entry has 149 posts. So actually it seems like they're getting roughly the same amount of traffic, if not an increase this year compared to last year!

So maybe they’ll be more traffic then, I personally haven’t really seen a decline in Traffic in the University Forums in general to be fair (I have seen it for chat and debate and current affairs to some extent as I felt that these forums were more active before).

Original post by Scotney
I would say Tsr has lost many experienced advisors and users over last year.With no advice available why post.

This as well possibly (though I don’t look at the Oxbridge forums that much). Seems to be less experienced older users/graduates.
Reply 7
Original post by Talkative Toad
So maybe they’ll be more traffic then, I personally haven’t really seen a decline in Traffic in the University Forums in general to be fair (I have seen it for chat and debate and current affairs to some extent as I felt that these forums were more active before).

This as well possibly (though I don’t look at the Oxbridge forums that much). Seems to be less experienced older users/graduates.

So many have left especially on med and vet threads and Oxford too.It will be interesting to see total number of posts at end of offer period this year.Most 12 gemmers have gone.
Original post by Scotney
So many have left especially on med and vet threads and Oxford too.It will be interesting to see total number of posts at end of offer period this year.Most 12 gemmers have gone.

I barely look at the Oxford forums or are aware of who the experts are (bar people like Oxford Mum for example) so I don’t know who’s left or what the impacts experts who left have on the forum, same with Veterinary Medicine.

But some other university forums might be less active or might have less experts as you say.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending