The Student Room Group

Law

I’m interested in the study of law but I’m not great at public speaking. I know we will have to do advocacy and mooting, I’m also aware law is highly competitive. Is law right for me? Is there anything I can do to improve public speaking? I’m second guessing everything as I’m not as confident as other future law students. What do I do?!?!?!?!?
Hi there!

Universities aren't necessarily looking for a fully-fledged perfect student- what they're looking for is passion and potential. You're clearly passionate about studying law, and it sounds like you're willing to put in the work to make it happen- don't doubt yourself!

If you want to improve your public speaking, see if your school or college has a debate team- they're a great way to practice constructing an argument and delivering it in front of an audience. If your school doesn't- why not see if you can set up one?

If that's not possible, see if you could get involved in a theatre group- often you can just go to theatre workshops near you without having to perform on a stage in front of an audience. I went to a theatre group as a very shy 13 year old and came out a very confident student! Even if theatre's not your thing, it definitely helps with not feeling embarrassed and with public speaking. You can learn how to project your voice, pace your speaking, and feel confident in yourself.

Best of luck in the future!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Original post by rabiiii379
I’m interested in the study of law but I’m not great at public speaking. I know we will have to do advocacy and mooting, I’m also aware law is highly competitive. Is law right for me? Is there anything I can do to improve public speaking? I’m second guessing everything as I’m not as confident as other future law students. What do I do?!?!?!?!?

Hi @rabiii379,

There is absolutely no reason why law would not be for you if you do not enjoy public speaking (I know lots of successful law students who hate it). Of course, there are aspects on law courses that require public speaking but, in fact, I did an English undergrad degree and it was the same for that. No university is expecting you to be great at all aspects of the course - if they were then there would be limited point in doing a degree! I would not let your uncertainty hold you back as you may find that with some practice and in the right environment you may flourish! I always find the best way to get over a fear of something is to throw yourself into it. At the end of the day, the worst case scenario with public speaking is you get a bit muddled or say something slightly silly and that really isn't likely to happen and even if it does then it really doesn't matter!

In terms of future career, even if you never grow a like for public speaking, there are areas of law where lawyers do far less public speaking. For example, I wouldn't recommend pursuing the route of barrister if you hate public speaking as nearly all barristers have to do a relative amount of it. However, many solicitors do very limited public speaking!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much!!! I feel much more reassured haha.. I’ve joined a debate club, I rarely speak but I guess thats a starting point. Thank you for the suggestions.. might join a theatre club too lol. :smile:

Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there!

Universities aren't necessarily looking for a fully-fledged perfect student- what they're looking for is passion and potential. You're clearly passionate about studying law, and it sounds like you're willing to put in the work to make it happen- don't doubt yourself!

If you want to improve your public speaking, see if your school or college has a debate team- they're a great way to practice constructing an argument and delivering it in front of an audience. If your school doesn't- why not see if you can set up one?

If that's not possible, see if you could get involved in a theatre group- often you can just go to theatre workshops near you without having to perform on a stage in front of an audience. I went to a theatre group as a very shy 13 year old and came out a very confident student! Even if theatre's not your thing, it definitely helps with not feeling embarrassed and with public speaking. You can learn how to project your voice, pace your speaking, and feel confident in yourself.

Best of luck in the future!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Reply 4
Thank you so much!! I told my teacher about this and she said it was a reasonable concern but it shouldn’t be a dictating factor on why you don’t want to do law. I feel much more reassured, I think practising speaking to people I don’t usually speak to is a start I guess haha. I never really explored the option of a solicitor, thank you for your suggestion!!! :smile:
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @rabiii379,

There is absolutely no reason why law would not be for you if you do not enjoy public speaking (I know lots of successful law students who hate it). Of course, there are aspects on law courses that require public speaking but, in fact, I did an English undergrad degree and it was the same for that. No university is expecting you to be great at all aspects of the course - if they were then there would be limited point in doing a degree! I would not let your uncertainty hold you back as you may find that with some practice and in the right environment you may flourish! I always find the best way to get over a fear of something is to throw yourself into it. At the end of the day, the worst case scenario with public speaking is you get a bit muddled or say something slightly silly and that really isn't likely to happen and even if it does then it really doesn't matter!

In terms of future career, even if you never grow a like for public speaking, there are areas of law where lawyers do far less public speaking. For example, I wouldn't recommend pursuing the route of barrister if you hate public speaking as nearly all barristers have to do a relative amount of it. However, many solicitors do very limited public speaking!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending