The Student Room Group

Differential Equations help

Hey, I'm completely stuck on where to start on this question. Any hints?

A tank contains a perfectly mixed solution of 5kg of salt and 500 litres of water. Starting at t=0, fresh water is poured into the tank at a rate of 4 litres/min. A mixing device maintains homogeneity. The solution leaves the tank at a rate of 4 litres/min.

a) What is the differential equation governing the amount of salt in the tank at any time?
b) In how many minutes will the concentration of salt reach a 0.1% level (i.e. initial concentration is 1%)

Note that for full marks you need to explain your working, not just write down the final answers.
Original post by Jimbojambo

a) What is the differential equation governing the amount of salt in the tank at any time?

Does this not suggest a variable to use?

Then what's 4 l/min in terms of the amount of salt?

See what you can do with that.
Reply 2
Original post by Jimbojambo
Hey, I'm completely stuck on where to start on this question. Any hints?

A tank contains a perfectly mixed solution of 5kg of salt and 500 litres of water. Starting at t=0, fresh water is poured into the tank at a rate of 4 litres/min. A mixing device maintains homogeneity. The solution leaves the tank at a rate of 4 litres/min.

b) In how many minutes will the concentration of salt reach a 0.1% level (i.e. initial concentration is 1%)

Note that for full marks you need to explain your working, not just write down the final answers.

look at the link

http://madasmaths.com/archive_maths_booklets_standard_topics_integration.html

download PDF: odes_context_modelling
(NOTE THAT IT TAKES AGES TO DOWNLOAD DUE TO SIZE)

There is a very similar question in page 75

Look at how the question is attempted

you may adapt it to your ODE
Reply 3
Ah I've done it now. Thanks.
Reply 4
just to add, if you have any more Qn`s like this, this may help...

Quick Reply

Latest