The Student Room Group

Struggling with life post university

I suppose I'm meant to be one of the "lucky" ones. I managed to get a well paid internship after finishing university. I was of course thrilled after failing time and time again to get part-time retail/bar/cafe work while studying at uni/college. The only paid job I had before this was bar work at a festival and that was temp (2 weeks). So you can call this my first real job.

The hours are quite long and I finish quite late (they ask me if I would mind this at the interview and of course I said no, you say anything to get a job). I find myself extremely tired when I get off and genuinely fatigued at the weekend. It's scary to think that the rest of my life will be like this where my whole life is basically work. The job itself is client-focused and I struggle a bit with that.

A separate issue is that I'm struggling living back at home. I lived out for all three years. The lack of independence is quite strange. Going from being surrounded by 8 loud fun students to just my dad is a culture shock. He keeps calling me and if I go to an after work drink and come back late he will complain. I'm looking at moving out though even though renting in London will be financially painful.

Very lonely. I was literally one of the only one among of my friends whose home was in London. The ones who did all hang out with the friends they had from before uni started. I didn't really have any before university which is probably why I attach so much fondness to it. I always seem to be the one to try and organise things, it's like they settled into their new lives really quickly. There is nothing for me to look forward to, every day is work and the weekend is empty. It's silly but I miss the university nights, going on pub crawls, clubbing, just the general pratting about.

I don't feel I fit in well with the people at work. They are all older than me and I find it difficult getting involved in the conversations that they have when we go for after work drinks. Also drink prices in the real world are pretty shocking :tongue:
Hey, fellow unhappy graduate here. My situation is similar except I don't live at home. I graduated in 2012 with a 2:1.

I arranged to live with a girl from the uni rowing club after I graduated in the neighbouring city and I got myself a 'short-term' waitressing job....but I'm still working there now!!! It's awful hours like 12-11pm then 7am-3pm the next day or 9am-8pm and it's such **** work/pay. I get asked "are you a student then? What job do you want to do?", people don't assume this is my full time job and I'm a graduate!

Unlike you though I couldn't find an internship or a good job. I can't even get an office job because I have no 'office experience'! How did you find your internship and what are you doing for it? It's good you got this job actually because you won't be there for long and it'll be fantastic for your CV. I assume it's fixed term thing. Life is hard after uni, I agree, and it's pretty normal to be tired after work.

I. like you. didn't really have an uni friends after to speak of, only a close one but she's down in London (I'm in the North) so I don't see her much. I did make a few friends and meet my boyfriend there so it feels quite nice. I know you said you're tired from work but could you join a sports club on the weekend or something and meet a few friends there?

Have you thought about house-shares in London? I've done a few after uni just with professionals living there so it was quite relaxed. I used spareroom.co.uk. That way you can move out and be independant but don't have the pricetag of renting by yourself.

I'd try and recommend focusing on a new chapter of your life. You can't be a student forever and you can always look back on your partying days with fondness - everybody does. It's a gradual process of getting used to the 'real world' and if you move out I think you'd feel a lot better :smile: Congratulations and good luck with the job, it's something I'm so desperate for atm!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RowingGoose
Hey, fellow unhappy graduate here. My situation is similar except I don't live at home. I graduated in 2012 with a 2:1.

I arranged to live with a girl from the uni rowing club after I graduated in the neighbouring city and I got myself a 'short-term' waitressing job....but I'm still working there now!!! It's awful hours like 12-11pm then 7am-3pm the next day or 9am-8pm and it's such **** work/pay. I get asked "are you a student then? What job do you want to do?", people don't assume this is my full time job and I'm a graduate!

Yikes sounds awful, my hours are long but luckily they tend to stay the same. It must be annoying for people to keep asking that. Are there any progression opportunities whatsoever?

Unlike you though I couldn't find an internship or a good job. I can't even get an office job because I have no 'office experience'! How did you find your internship and what are you doing for it? It's good you got this job actually because you won't be there for long and it'll be fantastic for your CV. I assume it's fixed term thing. Life is hard after uni, I agree, and it's pretty normal to be tired after work.

You found a job though, which in the current climate is an achievement in itself :tongue:. I completely ignored the big companies after constantly failing their numerical tests and applied for SMEs both speculatively and through graduate job sites. I found this one on the Graduate Talent Pool site. It's client facing, fast paced and tasks can vary from the mundane (photocopying) to the extreme (liaising with important foreign investors). It's a year long internship with the opportunity of a proper position if I perform well. Isn't that always the way with work? You need experience to get experience :confused:.

I. like you. didn't really have an uni friends after to speak of, only a close one but she's down in London (I'm in the North) so I don't see her much. I did make a few friends and meet my boyfriend there so it feels quite nice. I know you said you're tired from work but could you join a sports club on the weekend or something and meet a few friends there?

It's nice that you have a boyfriend. That's another problem. I feel like I'll never meet anyone now because I'm no longer surrounded by loads of guys of the same age. It's funny you should suggest that, I do netball on Sundays but haven't been because I've been so tired and it seems more like a chore than something fun.

Have you thought about house-shares in London? I've done a few after uni just with professionals living there so it was quite relaxed. I used spareroom.co.uk. That way you can move out and be independant but don't have the pricetag of renting by yourself.

I'm seriously considering this option. That's the thing, I'm not sure I even want 'relaxed'. I miss the chaos that was Halls
:frown:

I'd try and recommend focusing on a new chapter of your life. You can't be a student forever and you can always look back on your partying days with fondness - everybody does. It's a gradual process of getting used to the 'real world' and if you move out I think you'd feel a lot better :smile: Congratulations and good luck with the job, it's something I'm so desperate for atm!

I feel extremely guilty for feeling this way. There are so many graduates looking for work or like yourself looking for internships and then there's me considering packing it all in. My dad thinks I should leave and get a part time retail job or something, build up confidence in dealing with people and the working world but it would be such a waste :frown:
There are progression opportunities e.g. my boyfriend has gone from being a waiter like me to team leader 1, then team leader 2 which is basically duty manager. I feel like I could do the tasks he does, and often help him out anyway I just don't want to be involved with the business because the manager isn't so ethical. He sleeps at work overnight sometimes because he can't afford a car, he sexually harasses a lot of us (slap bums, call us sexy and talks about his kn*b a lot/makes innuendos) and he takes money from the safe to pay for his taxis or cigarattes!!!! I don't want a key to the safe because I don't want to be implicated, although I wish I had gone for team leader earlier before I knew all this as I practically do the job anyway just with out the title.

Your job sounds very varied that's for sure! It's a tricky decision about whether or not to leave. Do you see it through and get the experience or be 'bold' and quit knowing it's not for you? This is only my opinion, but a year isn't that long when you consider you'll be working for 40 years or so and you don't have to accept the long term position afterwards. Also, looking at your CV I don't feel it would look good detailing this internship then saying you quit to do a basic retail job.
Personally, I've LOST confidence doing my job. Yes, my customer service has improved (I was a bit shy) and I think I'm a very good worker but knowing that I could be doing better gets me down especially when you're on your hands and knees cleaning up pepsi that a bratty kid has spilt! I always feel embarrassed to tell a fellow graduate I'm 'just' a waitress at the moment. Do you think you could put up with the job for a bit longer if your social life was better? Also, a suggestion might be to do a retail/waitressing job one day of the weekend if you could manage it, especially coming up to Christmas as there are a lot of jobs going. That way you might meet more like-minded people to you.

Please don't feel guilty though, it's obviously making you unhappy. It's easy for me to say "just carry on with it" because I'd love to get out of my job but I perfectly understand. My uni friend I mentioned followed the Psychology route (the course we studied) and worked in a prison, an organisation that helps to employ people with mental health issues, and now a psych ward in London. I'm so proud of how far she's gone but even though it sounds a rewarding job to do, but it's not and she's unhappy too. She's considering her options too.

Houseshares don't have to be relaxed btw, I just said that because it's what I prefer. If you go on the adverts on spareroom, some of them ask for a social housemate to go out for a few drinks etc, and others ask for the 'tidy, quiet' type. I'm sure you could find a house for you. If you want a more lively one, look at bigger houseshares or even student ones if you wanted the bustle.
Original post by Anonymous
I suppose I'm meant to be one of the "lucky" ones. I managed to get a well paid internship after finishing university. I was of course thrilled after failing time and time again to get part-time retail/bar/cafe work while studying at uni/college. The only paid job I had before this was bar work at a festival and that was temp (2 weeks). So you can call this my first real job.

The hours are quite long and I finish quite late (they ask me if I would mind this at the interview and of course I said no, you say anything to get a job). I find myself extremely tired when I get off and genuinely fatigued at the weekend. It's scary to think that the rest of my life will be like this where my whole life is basically work. The job itself is client-focused and I struggle a bit with that.

A separate issue is that I'm struggling living back at home. I lived out for all three years. The lack of independence is quite strange. Going from being surrounded by 8 loud fun students to just my dad is a culture shock. He keeps calling me and if I go to an after work drink and come back late he will complain. I'm looking at moving out though even though renting in London will be financially painful.

Very lonely. I was literally one of the only one among of my friends whose home was in London. The ones who did all hang out with the friends they had from before uni started. I didn't really have any before university which is probably why I attach so much fondness to it. I always seem to be the one to try and organise things, it's like they settled into their new lives really quickly. There is nothing for me to look forward to, every day is work and the weekend is empty. It's silly but I miss the university nights, going on pub crawls, clubbing, just the general pratting about.

I don't feel I fit in well with the people at work. They are all older than me and I find it difficult getting involved in the conversations that they have when we go for after work drinks. Also drink prices in the real world are pretty shocking :tongue:

hi there

can you explain what you mean by the bit in bold?
Stick it out for a couple of years, then find a better job elsewhere, in another city, with less hours.
Hi OP - I hear what you're saying, I had a similar issue when I moved back and started working.

I got a job 2 weeks after my last exam, had no summer and just worked. The weekends I was too exhausted to do anything and all my friends were out having fun because they still were looking for jobs. I moved back home with my parents who wanted to put tabs on me everywhere I go, so if I decided I wanted to go for a birthday dinner with some friends for the first time that month, I got a lecture that I was "always out, roaming the streets" which just isn't true.

The thing that changed for me is that i started to get used to the work schedule, and I used to be less tired in the weekends and even if I was, I would still make an effort to go out anyway. And I changed my phone contract so I could have more minutes to talk to everyone and still keep in touch and not feel left out. As for the parents - there were a lot of arguments, but I told them that I'm 22 years old, I lived out for 3 years, they didn't have a clue what I was doing then, so why is it such a problem now?! I noticed that the more I included them in my plans the better e.g. "I'm thinking of going out with my friend on Friday" ...oh really, where, when etc etc. and then on Friday they would ask me themselves "so, are you going out today? have fun" . it was so weird.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending