The Student Room Group

Help me pick unis

Just got back 2 offers from 2 similar level unis but I'm struggling to decide which one to firm.
Economics at Uni of Southampton
Economics and Maths at Uni of Sheffield.
If anyone has any advice on either course prospects, uni quality and life etc please let me know, thanks.
Original post by Manobal
Just got back 2 offers from 2 similar level unis but I'm struggling to decide which one to firm.
If anyone has any advice on either course prospects, uni quality and life etc please let me know, thanks.

Hi Manobal!

Congratulations on your offers! My name is Ellie and I am a 3rd year English Language and Linguistics student here at the Uni of Sheffield. Unfortunately I won't be able to answer subject specific questions as I am not an Economics or Maths student, but I can talk about the city and the Uni itself. So far, I have really liked Sheffield as a city and I have actually decided to move here permanently, even after my degree has finished, which I think speaks volumes in itself. There is always something to do, and the amenities and transport links available are perfect for a student. The night life is also great, and a lot of bars and other venues work together with the Uni societies to get students cheaper drinks on society nights out. The Uni is a member of the Russel Group, and is the perfect mix of city and campus, as most of the main university buildings are all in one particular area, and only ten minutes from the city centre (hence the nickname 'city campus'). The students union has also been voted the best in the UK for a fair few years now, and it is one of my favourite places to go for a coffee or to study. Do you have any specific questions or queries about the Uni itself?

Have you considered visiting the Uni's in person? I found that it really helped me to figure out which Uni I preferred and gave me an opportunity to talk to other people in the same situation as me. You will also have the opportunity to go on a campus tour, which will allow you to comprehensively see and learn about some of our main buildings on campus (and some other cool features along the way). You can find more information about the open days here: Open days | Undergraduate study | The University of Sheffield

You can also talk to other current students here, which will give you a chance to talk to our current economics and maths students: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

I hope this helps!

Ellie (3rd year English Lang. and Ling. student)
I would suggest sheffield, southampton is a good uni also but the city is really grim and the people aren’t ideal. Yorkshires environment is much friendlier and exciting, and the clubs are much more fun.
Original post by Manobal

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offers!

Deciding between universities can be difficult, especially if they seem quite similar. It's great that you're reaching out for personal experiences and opinions on here.

I'd recommend comparing modules to see what you might prefer, as I'm sure they differ slightly. I'd also recommend looking to see if the university websites have the 'ask a student' option, as you could get in contact directly with someone studying that course, or even post in the specific space on TSR for these universities.

It can be hard to judge if a university/course would be a good fit for you solely by looking online and by word of mouth, so visit them if you can. This way, you can get a better feel for the campus/city life and can think about whether you'd be happy spending three or more years there!

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending