The Student Room Group

premium room >standard room???? at reading

Hi guys,
I previously posted this in anotger forum and got no replies so i thought i'd try again here lol.
I absolutely loved reading and my course (psychology) how its taught,the facilities etc. I also loved the town centre and was pleasantly surprised at how lively it was. The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is the accommodation, I really liked the premium ensuite rooms but the standard rooms are a lot cheaper and the rooms are just as nice the main difference is the kitchen in the premium flats are newer and the beds are bigger.
I really like reading but compared to other unis accomodation that's the same price as the standard room is much nicer (Liverpool) for example. I'd love some other opinions because I think it'll bey first choice
Thanks
Honestly I think premium rooms are a massive waste of money, while yes it may be nice to have a slightly larger room and bed it's not all that necessary especially if it's just you sleeping in that bed, as for en-suites unless you absolutely cannot face sharing a bathroom then it is again a massive waste of money.
Reply 2
Well I think I'd definitely go for the ensuite no I just can't decide between reading or liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt the same looking around Reading! :smile: I really liked it but was surprised at the price of the accommodation - you can get a premium room at Kent for pretty much the same as a standard room there.

The premium rooms were really nice, I was especially impressed with the kitchen but personally I wouldn't spend almost £150 a week for it. I'm probably not being too helpful as I didn't actually see a standard room at Reading, but unless there was a huge difference in the size/quality of them I really wouldn't spend the extra £20 or so it costs a week for a premium.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the accommodation is only guaranteed for first-years if Reading is your firm choice and you apply for the accommodation by a certain date. That shouldn't be too much of a problem if Reading's your firm, but I know there are other unis which guarantee first-year accommodation regardless of whether it's your firm choice.
Reply 4
Original post by asdfghjkl1234567
I felt the same looking around Reading! :smile: I really liked it but was surprised at the price of the accommodation - you can get a premium room at Kent for pretty much the same as a standard room there.

The premium rooms were really nice, I was especially impressed with the kitchen but personally I wouldn't spend almost £150 a week for it. I'm probably not being too helpful as I didn't actually see a standard room at Reading, but unless there was a huge difference in the size/quality of them I really wouldn't spend the extra £20 or so it costs a week for a premium.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the accommodation is only guaranteed for first-years if Reading is your firm choice and you apply for the accommodation by a certain date. That shouldn't be too much of a problem if Reading's your firm, but I know there are other unis which guarantee first-year accommodation regardless of whether it's your firm choice.

That's exactly what I thought I was doing comparisons the kitchen is much nicer but apart from that there's not much difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by em211997
Hi guys,
I previously posted this in anotger forum and got no replies so i thought i'd try again here lol.
I absolutely loved reading and my course (psychology) how its taught,the facilities etc. I also loved the town centre and was pleasantly surprised at how lively it was. The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is the accommodation, I really liked the premium ensuite rooms but the standard rooms are a lot cheaper and the rooms are just as nice the main difference is the kitchen in the premium flats are newer and the beds are bigger.
I really like reading but compared to other unis accomodation that's the same price as the standard room is much nicer (Liverpool) for example. I'd love some other opinions because I think it'll bey first choice
Thanks

Yes, the Reading open day was good, wasn't it?

The room is just the first year, after that you will probably live out. As for the kitchen, it depends who you share with, but if you get the wrong bunch it will be trashed in no time, and you will only go in there to get something out of your cupboard or to catch botulism.

So I wouldn't make your decision based upon tiny details regarding the first year room. Make it based on the course, the tutors/students you met, how you felt when you were there, clubs & activities, reputation, job opportunities or even the potential student lodgings in 2nd/3rd/4th year.

Most things are more significant than the size of the bed in first year, or even the odd fiver a week.
Reply 6
I'm in bridges hall at reading with a premium room with shared bathroom... It's 120 a week self catered and the en suite on is 155 a week self catered, save yourself the money and don't get an en suite. Sharing is perfectly fine!
Reply 7
Original post by ljb.95
I'm in bridges hall at reading with a premium room with shared bathroom... It's 120 a week self catered and the en suite on is 155 a week self catered, save yourself the money and don't get an en suite. Sharing is perfectly fine!

No thanks lol I'm a girl I need my own space haha I'd rather just get a standard ensuite room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending