The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York colleges

I've received an offer from York and have seen the college system online. I'm looking for an ensuite bedroom, on campus acommodation and I'd like a college with a good night life and social life. Which college would you recommend?
Original post by isaacmac
I've received an offer from York and have seen the college system online. I'm looking for an ensuite bedroom, on campus acommodation and I'd like a college with a good night life and social life. Which college would you recommend?

I'm pretty sure all colleges offer en-suite accommodation, and I know all will have good social life, though that's pretty much what you make of it. The main differences between them are accommodation quality (and price), and location.

3 colleges are on Heslington East (Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine), which is only home to three departments (Law, Film and Television, and Computer Science), so if you live in one of these colleges, it'll likely be a relative trek to get to your lectures, but the bus is free and quick and I've not found the commute annoying. But if you're not studying in any of those departments, you might want to avoid prioritising those colleges.

There are three bands of accommodation quality at York, if I remember correctly. There's economy, which is in older buildings and has prices to match, and is only available in some colleges; as you want an en-suite, you'll be wanting to avoid economy. The second band is standard, which offers both shared bathroom and en-suite types; this has reasonable prices, and I think is available at every college except for Langwith and Constantine. Then there's premium, which is only available at Langwith and Constantine - it's more expensive than standard (an en-suite standard room is about the same cost as a shared bathroom premium room), but has advantages; we have a TV and sofa in a kitchen, bigger beds, the newest buildings etc.

While facilities between the colleges do differ - such as Langwith has its own bar, whereas Constantine just has a common room, and only some offer catered accommodation - in terms of night life and social life you'll experience absolutely no difference. The clubs are all in town, so everyone will catch the same bus to go to the club, and in reality it'd take you about 5 more minutes on the bus to get home if you lived in Derwent versus living in Constantine. I'd focus instead on accommodation type above all (I'm happy to have the extra commute as the premium accommodation is so nice), then location after that.

Bear in mind that you can only put a few en-suite options down on your preference list; I can't remember how many, but make sure you consider some shared bathroom options that you'd be happy with. For the record, sharing a bathroom has been fine for me, as there are easily enough per person (I've rarely, if ever, had to wait), and they're cleaned by staff every weekday (unlike en-suites, which are cleaned monthly). The way they allocate rooms is also notably very random - one of my friends prioritised Derwent economy (the cheapest accommodation) and got Langwith en-suite (the most expensive accommodation). Yet one of my flatmates applied for Langwith en-suite on the very first day she could apply (technically giving her priority), yet she ended up with Constantine shared bathroom. Most people got one of their preferences somewhere on their list, however, so just make sure you're happy with whatever you put down.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Im in Derwent which is 100% the best college if your looking for a good social life and nightlife. Its the only college with 2 bars and has its own large social events twice a term with themes which make the college well known. Im in standard acconomdation (its the part of derwent that isnt associated with prison haha). Modern built, all updated in 2016/17 so pretty smart. No en-suite although once you get to uni you realised that really isnt an issue. I share a bathroom with 5 other people which is very good.
I wouldn't advise going to Langwith, Goodricke or Constantine as they are far from town and away from the main campus, although there accomodation is very nice, most of it with ensuites and double beds plus sofas in the kitchens. If any of them, Langwith is definitely the most popular, and well known. It is situated next to the glass house which is a good social space.
If you want ensuites on the main campus i would say go to the new part of vanbrugh which is standard acconomdation with single beds but many have ensuites and it is pretty central.
Still nothing is quite as central as derwent - also catered food in derwent is v good.
Pls feel free to ask me any questions
Original post by LucyH321
Im in Derwent which is 100% the best college if your looking for a good social life and nightlife. Its the only college with 2 bars and has its own large social events twice a term with themes which make the college well known. Im in standard acconomdation (its the part of derwent that isnt associated with prison haha). Modern built, all updated in 2016/17 so pretty smart. No en-suite although once you get to uni you realised that really isnt an issue. I share a bathroom with 5 other people which is very good.
I wouldn't advise going to Langwith, Goodricke or Constantine as they are far from town and away from the main campus, although there accomodation is very nice, most of it with ensuites and double beds plus sofas in the kitchens. If any of them, Langwith is definitely the most popular, and well known. It is situated next to the glass house which is a good social space.
If you want ensuites on the main campus i would say go to the new part of vanbrugh which is standard acconomdation with single beds but many have ensuites and it is pretty central.
Still nothing is quite as central as derwent - also catered food in derwent is v good.
Pls feel free to ask me any questions

Hi, I'm going to be applying for accommodation in May and I'm looking at catered accommodation in Vanbrugh or Derwent, would you say it would be too social for someone that wants a social life but also enjoys quiet, down time? My first choice is really Vanbrugh but I'm really wanting catered so that would be another option. Also, is it okay sharing a bathroom, for some reason I'm worrying about that, even though I share with my family now lol :smile: :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sunshine902
Hi, I'm going to be applying for accommodation in May and I'm looking at catered accommodation in Vanbrugh or Derwent, would you say it would be too social for someone that wants a social life but also enjoys quiet, down time? My first choice is really Vanbrugh but I'm really wanting catered so that would be another option. Also, is it okay sharing a bathroom, for some reason I'm worrying about that, even though I share with my family now lol :smile: :smile:

Every college is as social as yo want it to be and often depends on who you meet. Unless your in Alcuin, goodricke or Constantine where it's pretty dull. TBH the block I'm in in derwent is very quiet, I'm the only one that goes out a lot so I spend most of my time with another block in derwent who go out loads. Derwent is more social than Vanbrugh but not by much. There pretty similar accommodation and social wise. Derwent just had a more social reputation and seems to go out a bit more. Honestly the majority of people at york have a shared bathroom and it's literally fine - there's enough showers and loos for everyone and they get cleaned every other day so really don't worry. Don't know about catered food in Vanbrugh buts it very good in derwent and you meet people at dinner
Original post by LucyH321
Every college is as social as yo want it to be and often depends on who you meet. Unless your in Alcuin, goodricke or Constantine where it's pretty dull. TBH the block I'm in in derwent is very quiet, I'm the only one that goes out a lot so I spend most of my time with another block in derwent who go out loads. Derwent is more social than Vanbrugh but not by much. There pretty similar accommodation and social wise. Derwent just had a more social reputation and seems to go out a bit more. Honestly the majority of people at york have a shared bathroom and it's literally fine - there's enough showers and loos for everyone and they get cleaned every other day so really don't worry. Don't know about catered food in Vanbrugh buts it very good in derwent and you meet people at dinner

Thanks so much!! That makes sense!! I know, don't know why I'm worried about it seeing as I share now tbh! Ensuite would be brilliant, but it's often more expensive and not all the catered options offer it. I'd really like catered above anything else I think :smile:
Update: If anyone is looking for the best college to get involved in playing sports, primarily football, Derwent College is the best choice. The biggest club in the university, has 7 teams and great social involvement. Due to its size, it allows for having a very competitive 1st xi (best in the uni) but also a walk-on team in the 7s that allows anyone to play.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending