The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
~Lc~
But are you sure what you're talking about

Kind of...

That's what I was told on TheStudentRoom by some guys:

"I don't think your job prospects with a Media degree would be great from ANY uni."

I think that I got more replies like this in other threads, but actually I can't be bothered to look for them now, so sorry - maybe in some free time after the Christmas :wink: Anyway - here's what Wikipedia has to say about Media Studies:

"In the UK, Media Studies is regularly the victim of jokes and cynical attitudes, often being labelled as a Mickey Mouse subject. It receives many of the criticisms directed at sociology scholars during the 70s and 80s.

In 2000, England's Chief Schools Inspector, Chris Woodhead suggested that media studies is a "one way ticket to the dole queue." There is, he says, a "profound scepticism as to whether these courses teach students the skills and understanding they want".

David Marsland, professor of health at Brunel University, said about the subject: "There's a lot of nonsense in it. It's not because it's vocational, it's because it's new, it has not really got a literature. It has not got established principles and it's taught variably."

However, Paul Smith, professor of media and culture at the University of Sussex says that the rising number of media studies programmes is not "dumbing down", but reflects changes in the real world. "In the current cultural, social and political circumstances that we live in, the media is so pre-eminent, that some way of understanding it is fairly crucial for an informed citizenship. We are trying to understand how [the media] operates, what kind of structures it has and the cultural impact it has."

Its relation to polytechnics, and subsequently the post-1992 New Universities, are also a target for ridicule. The now annual moral panic in the UK every August when GCSE and A-level results are released normally focuses upon Media Studies as an example of the alleged dumbing down of education.
"

[from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_studies#Popular_conceptions_and_derogatory_attitudes]

From what I've heard the Media Studies in the UK and the US differ pretty much from eachother, so maybe that's why your friend in the USA is satisfied so much. I don't know, actually - pretty much depends on the University that you have applied to, probably if it's gonna be a GOOD university you're gonna get some profits from the course... But I personally would look rather for a broadened, specialized course, not "Media" or "Mass Communications" in general...
Reply 21
I just got off the phone with my councelor, you really freaked me out:P hehe... anyway she reassured me, because she told me that even though it has no literature to it anythng can lead you to journalism. which is kind of logical if you think about it. She told me she has a friend who graduated with a lit major and is an editor in some magazine... so I dunno I think media studies would be interesting enough for me, I wouldn't want to just stick to the writing.. and if you check out the modules in loughborough they offer criminology:biggrin: anyway my shock is over, but thx for opening my eyes, better be shocked now then later:P
Reply 22
~Lc~
she reassured me, because she told me that even though it has no literature to it anythng can lead you to journalism. which is kind of logical if you think about it.

Yeah, but keep in mind that if you graduate from Media Studies you may as well be sitting in a box selling some crap over the phone (that kind of work does fall under "Media" as well, unfortunately...) - I have been in London during vacation season this summer, and I've seen guys with BAs in Media & Management or something that were grouching about the work that they will have... But yeah, being a non-permanent UK Resident by now, I may as well be wrong --- but I'd prefer to be trained specifically... If you know what I mean, just to be safer :wink:
Reply 23
Yea you do have a point. But I appreciate the diversity the media studies course is supplying, I mean you get to take criminology and advertising modules, I don't know it sounds so tempting... anyway you're allways gnna start from the bottom where ever you starts, and I don't intend on staying in the UK after I graduate, I might do my postgraduate degree there or I'll do it in the US, but I'm defiantly going to the US when I'm done studying, either for masters of PhD or to get a job. My brother lives there and I think I'll end up living somewhere close to him. So I gots no worrys:P

thx for the heads up though, I was really clueless before I read you thread:biggrin:
Reply 24
I would have thought most of the top journalists would have degrees in English, History etc.
You're better off studying an academic subject at a top university, and then embarking on a career in journalism, if it still interests you.
Reply 25
david17
I would have thought most of the top journalists would have degrees in English, History etc.
You're better off studying an academic subject at a top university, and then embarking on a career in journalism, if it still interests you.

It depends, I'd rather like to do e.g. a BA in Journalism, continue my music self-education in Music and then try to do MA in Musicology, for example (if it would be possible - but correct me if I'm wrong, I mean, I don't have to have a BA in Musicology to do an MA in that subject, or do I?). Besides, I just think that I'd have more chances for a decent employment after graduating from a good university in a Journalism course, I mean, almost 100% people become employed shortly after graduating; if I'd graduate in English or History or whatever it would be a kind of roullette - I might be a journalist, but I wouldn't have to - and so it would require lots of additional effort from me.

Not mentioning that I'm not English/American/Australian/Canadian etc., so I guess I'd drop out on History or English especially pretty soon :wink: But who knows?

At least that's how it all does look for me.

PS
What do you mean by "an academic subject"? The question is serious, I'm from outside the UK, not even a native English speaker, so I don't know which subjects are "academic" and which are not. :smile: I'd appreciate clarifying that for me :biggrin: thanks in advance.

cheers
Reply 26
I'm applying to do journalism this year at Uni. Go for somewhere accredited by the NCTJ (a board which recognises training for journalists). Bournemouth is the best in the country, although Sheffield (can also take an extra year to study abroad) and Central Lancashire also offer it. If you're interested in doing a combined course, then Coventry do Journalism combined with English or English Literature.

Alternatively, you could do a course in a subject you're interested in, such as Politics, History etc, and then do a Post- Graduate course in a more specific field, eg broadcast/print/magazine journalism, at London Met or Sheffield.
laudoor

Alternatively, you could do a course in a subject you're interested in, such as Politics, History etc, and then do a Post- Graduate course in a more specific field, eg broadcast/print/magazine journalism, at London Met or Sheffield.

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do - starting a Politics BA in 2007. That way, if for whatever reason by the time I finish there, I've seen something other than journalism, I don't have to do the post-grad stuff. However, I'm pretty set on it - just have to wait until 2010 before people will take it seriously! Then of course I've got the option of either going and doing an NCTJ course and then finding work, or taking up a place at a local paper or such that encorporates the training with the work... but we'll consider that one once I've actually got my uni offers back in :smile:
Reply 28
Dang it, I've already replied but for some odd reason my post has not appeared here (O_o) OK, anyway:

laudoor
Go for somewhere accredited by the NCTJ (a board which recognises training for journalists). Bournemouth is the best in the country

I've heard that City University is the best for journalism in the country. What is true then? I mean, I'm from outside the UK, Mid-Eastern Europe, the main source of information about UK unis for me is The Studen Room (where I constantly happen to be dumbfounded by answers that contradict eachother) and the free part of The Times' Good University Guide that's available on-line. Not much besides that, unfortunately - so I have no idea whatsoever what is true apart from what I may find on the aforementioned site and by googling, and the answers here. :frown:

laudoor
If you're interested in doing a combined course, then Coventry do Journalism combined with English or English Literature.

I thought about doing a combined course, but I can't find anything that would suit me best - Journalism and Music, so I guess I'd stick to Journalism and Economics (at City, as one of my options) and then continue on schooling myself in Music on my own, as I always did (I have no music schools finished, but Music and Journalism are my passions). And maybe then I'll be good enough to attend a strictly Music-oriented course at University :wink:

laudoor

Nah, please - LondonMet...? (O_o)

I've already withdrawn from a Media Studies/Music & Media Management course there after hearing about the uni's level, vibes around it and disrespect that it is being treated with by the employers. I was advised not to go there by nearly each and every single person I have talked to, including (former) students that have transferred to a different uni as soon as possible. :eek:
Reply 29
i guess it depends what type of journalism everyone wants to go to, and what they want to do with it etc..

different courses suit different people. so i guess it's just a case of finding what suits you, and what you want to do!
Reply 30
laudoor
i guess it depends what type of journalism everyone wants to go to, and what they want to do with it etc..

TV and radio one (have experience in radio one, been working in a large radiostation in my country for 2 years, but I'd like to step into the TV as well), definitely not newspaper - I mean, I can write something here and there, but occasionally, and I definitely wouldn't want to make it the core of my profession, if you know what I mean :wink:

How can I find out which courses put the emphasis on the broadcasting and TV journalism?
Reply 31
nutrasweet
TV and radio one (have experience in radio one, been working in a large radiostation in my country for 2 years, but I'd like to step into the TV as well), definitely not newspaper - I mean, I can write something here and there, but occasionally, and I definitely wouldn't want to make it the core of my profession, if you know what I mean :wink:

How can I find out which courses put the emphasis on the broadcasting and TV journalism?

With a lot of the courses, you choose to focus on one area of the type you want to go into! Also, I think you do a lot of work experience, so that could be focused on this area!

You could do the post graduate at Sheffield which is specific after if you wanted! And if you go on the UCAS website, some 3 year BA degrees are specified to tv/radio! x x
Reply 32
laudoor
With a lot of the courses, you choose to focus on one area of the type you want to go into! Also, I think you do a lot of work experience, so that could be focused on this area!

You could do the post graduate at Sheffield which is specific after if you wanted! And if you go on the UCAS website, some 3 year BA degrees are specified to tv/radio! x x

I didn't get your reply... I mean, I don't understand it... :biggrin: Sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 33
what part?!
Reply 34
laudoor
what part?!

Whole of it. :biggrin:

I have asked about places where I can get the information about the courses that do not cover "written/newspaper journalism" as much as other types of the work (radio + TV), and you've replied:

"With a lot of the courses, you choose to focus on one area of the type you want to go into! Also, I think you do a lot of work experience, so that could be focused on this area!

You could do the post graduate at Sheffield which is specific after if you wanted! And if you go on the UCAS website, some 3 year BA degrees are specified to tv/radio!"

I don't understand... Let's go part by part :biggrin::

With a lot of the courses, you choose to focus on one area of the type you want to go into!
^
What does this refer to...? "With a lot of the courses" in general, or "With a lot of the courses in Journalism"? I know that there are many courses in Journalism, however, I'd like to go to a) a good one (preferrably the best possible), and b) the one that's TV and radio-oriented :smile:

Also, I think you do a lot of work experience, so that could be focused on this area!
^ ^
I don't get that sentence at all... Makes no sense for me :wink:

You could do the post graduate at Sheffield which is specific after if you wanted!
^ ^
Is specific in what...?
Do I need to have a BA in Journalism to make postgraduate studies in Journalism, or can the undergraduate degree be somehow irrelevant to the postgraduate degree (e.g. I make BA in Journalism, and - with strong passion for music - then make a BA in Music Production or Electronic Music or Urban Music or something - is it possible?)

And if you go on the UCAS website some 3 year BA degrees are specified to tv/radio! x x
^ ^
Oh, which ones...? I'm trying to find them but I didn't succeed as by now :s-smilie:
Reply 35
ok....

With a lot of the courses, you choose to focus on one area of the type you want to go into!

What I mean is with the majority of journalism courses, you chose a particular type of journalism in the final year. So you could choose tv/radio

Also, I think you do a lot of work experience, so that could be focused on this area!

At university for journalism courses, they will all offer you a chance to actually go somewhere to get some experience. So you could choose to go to a radio/tv station to gain this.

You could do the post graduate at Sheffield which is specific after if you wanted!

Don't think you could do the music, but you COULD do broadcast journalism (this is basically a mixture of TV and radio)

And if you go on the UCAS website some 3 year BA degrees are specified to tv/radio!

I'm not sure which...the best universities generally don't do them specifically to tv/radio initially. But have a look anyway!

Is that clearer?!
Reply 36
hey nutra sweet. I found a course at cardiff that is specifically Journalism check it out.
Yep, Cardiff is meant to be very good. Look here.
Reply 38
mc_hamster
Yep, Cardiff is meant to be very good. Look here.

What's better then? I mean, I came upon opinions about CITY being one of the best unis in the world for Journalism.

Which one is better, then - Cardiff or CITY, and why? :confused:
How should I know? I'm just giving you options.

Latest

Trending

Trending