The Student Room Group

M* E* D* I* A* __ S* T* U* D* I* E* S* - Help!!!

Hello,
I wanted to ask why the Media Studies are hated so much? :confused:
I'm a EU Citizen and I want to study in the UK. I have applied for studies for this year, for Media Studies and Music and Media Management, and I was very happy at first, then - after finding out the reputation of these studies - I decided to defer my entry for a year, and I will be applying for something else, probably Journalism...

Why do the Media-oriented courses are being hated on so much? I want to work in the Media, probably as a Journalist or a programme producer or something - what course should I choose then? I thought that Media Studies would be okay, but I see that it's regarded as a "Mickey Mouse degree", just "studying for the fact of studying itself" and nothing more. What would be the best for me, if I want to have a career in the TV or radio as a journalist or a person that produces big shows like "Dancing With The Stars", "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"?

I'm still thinking about music industry-something (I am much into music although I'm self-taught person with really vestigal theoretical knowledge) - I have worked as a music journalist for a radio in my native country, but I'm still hesitating between music industry and journalism... What are the courses that I could choose, if I would decide to go for something related with music business? I'd really like to have a chance of employment after graduating - I don't want to waste 3 years of studying something that will be no help for me in the future (taking notice that I will start studying for a degree while being 21).

Any help? It would be really much appreciated... :smile:
Reply 1
nobody to say anything...? :confused:
Funnily enough I want to know a similar thing - except I'm in Year 11 at school still and I need to choose my courses for college!

Really stuck on which subjects to take.
Reply 3
Seedy Jay
Funnily enough I want to know a similar thing - except I'm in Year 11 at school still and I need to choose my courses for college!

Really stuck on which subjects to take.

I am still up to decide, time is ticking away and I still have not fully decided yet... Anyone to help us two out with things mentioned in the first post? :confused:

It would be really, really much appreciated... :smile:
Reply 4
The reason why media studies is looked down on is that if you want a job in film or tv it's not the best way of going about it. If you want to get into the film industry either do a vocational film ba (bournemouth/ lcc ual) not film studies an actual how to course which will be at an art school. Or do a regular degree in anything and try for a postgrad at NFTVS which is so competitve but absolutely fantastic - or work as a runner and train on the job - ie make your own films while you work long hours for nothing but make contacts.
The TV industry in this country takes very bright graduates and pays them very little. But they are usually not looking for media graduates - the BBC has a graduate scheme - very competitive or you go in at the bottom - as a researcher and work your way up. I have a mate doing this at the moment. She has a BA classics and an MA HIstory (UCL) she gets paid peanuts and is employed on short term contracts - but she loves it.
So why aren't they interested in media degree? Well it's just too general I suppose that's the reason. What they want is dedicated hard working driven people and either they get them from practical courses or from really good unis just because they can. They would rather someone had a degree in however esoteric the subject - something they loved and then took that into a TV job. Jobs in broadcast are the sort of jobs everyone wants so they can pick and choose who they take on. From your OP you say you have experience - that's the best way keep going keep producing work you are not going to get a better job (on the technical side anyway) if you have a degree or not. Most people use their film degree to make content for their showreels rather than anything else.
Do a media studies degree if you love the subject and enjoy studying it, but don't expect a job in TV.
Equally how many history students become historians?
god luck
Reply 5
oops I meant good luck!
bah its always been looked down on....however i've taken the route of doing a practical media degree, which opens up a few more doors. there's always 3rd years/post grads/local companies who need people to help out and its a good way of getting some expereince

and as they say in media.. "its not what you know, it's who you know"

Latest

Trending

Trending