The Student Room Group

HNC or Foundation

Which one is cheap? I have crappy grades in different subject.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Samavi16
Which one is cheap? I have crappy grades in different subject.

Is the university you wish to do a foundation year with local to you? If not, I personally would be more inclined to do a HNC at a local college instead. That way you can save on accommodation and living costs etc.

(this is what I did - completed my HNC part time between 2017-19, if you have any additional questions)
Reply 2
I m international
Then go for a Foundation year (Year 0) that leads on to a degree at a good Uni.
HNC/HND are practical, vocational courses and very much orientated towards the needs of the UK job market.

What Level 3 (A levels etc) have you done, grade expectations etc, and what subject degree do you eventually want to do?
I did the HNC/HND route and got offered entry to 3rd year BSc so it's worked really well for me, as I have modular progression, a fatter CV and I didn't need to 'waste' a year... but progression to higher education is NOT guaranteed that way, you really have to excel. So for many a foundation course which gets you to the same place but somewhat holds your hand might be better, especially if your are an international student and possibly covered by different expectations/restrictions (I dunno)
Reply 5
I m international

Ah okay. Then your best bet would probably be the foundation year.

I'm not sure about the costs for international students, but generally HNCs are cheaper (mine was £3800 compared to the £6000 of a foundation year at the time). But they are much more of a vocational course that complements your job, as opposed to direct entry onto a degree course.
Reply 6
O Levels
Accounting-C
Maths-C
Islamiyat-D
Pakistan Studies-D
Urdu-D
Business Studies-D
English-D
English Literature-E
Economics-U

A Levels
Business Studies-D
Psychology-E
Sociology-d
Maths-e
Reply 7
I need a job so basically HND will help?
I need a job so basically HND will help?

As an International student, no.
You wont get a visa to work here in the UK with only an HND, and its unlikely to be recognised in your home country.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you require a visa then an HNC or HND could cause issues with meeting progression rules if you wanted to use them to progress onto 1st year of a degree.
Reply 10
What about Acess to HE?
What about Acess to HE?

Those are designed for UK mature students.

Why not just repeat your A levels in your home country. That would be cheaper
Reply 12
But it s time consuming
Reply 13
I m mature student
But it s time consuming

So essentially you are just lazy and want something for nothing?
Reply 15
No I m 23 and the pressure is on me cause my sister who is 17 is going to complete her A Levels
Reply 16
I m stuck in time when it was 2017 I thought I completed my A Levels and I wanted a gap year and now it s 2021 and I m still in that gap year
(edited 2 years ago)
But it s time consuming

Retaking A levels takes 1 year.
A foundation year takes 1 year but costs a lot more and uses up 1 year of your uk visa allowance.
An HNC takes up 1 year, costs a lot more, uses up 1 year of your visa allowance and can cause problems with progression rules if you then request another visa restarting in yr 1 of a degree.

This really isn’t complicated.

What degree subject do you want to study?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Engineering/Maths/Phsyics
Reply 19
Is it impossible?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending