The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Philosophy M.Litt

Hi everyone!

I am planning to apply to M.Litt in Philosophy in St.Andrews, and eventually gain the M.Phil. (and later Ph.D.)

However, I am concerned that I won't be accepted to M.Phil. My financial situation is not very good, and failing would mean having wasted money that I was working for for 2 years. I would have to work 1-2 years more and do a M.Phil. at another university (my other choices are twice as expensive as St.Andrews).

How difficult is it to pass to M.Phil. after doing M.Litt.? Should I better go for another university, where I can directly apply for M.Phil.? I am very doubtful at the moment, because this year I saw my friend get a distinction at UCL, however, they declined her Ph.D. application. So I feel like even if I do very well, there still is a big chance that I will not be able to proceed to the next level of studies, and there is absolutely nothing that I can do about it.

EDIT: I also would be grateful for any insight into how competitive is the masters program of Philosophy. I've read quite a lot about St.Andrews being very competitive, however, Philosophy isn't usually as desired field of study as many others are. Generally my grades are excellent, however, as many others, I was a bit lost in the first semester and got very average results in almost all of its subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I am an Mlitt student in philosophy. First, philosophy is one of the oldest subjects here and extremely competitive, but don't let that worry you. Just so you know.

As far as mlitt into Mphil, we have already been told to look into staying. They want people from the Mlitt program to stay onto the mphil as long as you pass and do well. Two problems though: this program is extremely hard. Just to pass the degree, you must maintain a 13.5 out of 20. Undergrads pass with a 7 out of 20. Also, funding for the mphil is really hard to get, and most funding tends to come from outside the department for the mphil. It is a year of intense work. But it seems they generally want people to stay to the mphil to have a better application for phd programs here or abroad.

The hard part is transitioning from the mlitt or mphil to the phd. Like your friend, that seems par for the course. The university is invested in at least trying to keep a few mlitt and mphil students into the phd, but the application is very rigorous. Phd applications in philosophy everywhere are super competitive because most departments are shrinking and they do not have room for the amount of phd candidates as they used to (go see what just happened at trinity in Dublin).
Overall, the experience here is great. But really hard and intense. I enjoy it, but you shouldn't worry about the mphil just yet. try getting into some mlitt programs and getting a degree is the first step.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending