The Student Room Group

Cambridge philosophy personal statement

Hi!

I'm applying to university this year to study philosophy and politics. I'm aware that Cambridge does not offer joint or double degrees such as philosophy and politics, but i would maybe like to apply to cambridge to do a pure philosophy degree.

If i apply for a philosophy degree at cambridge with a personal statement for politics and philosophy would I have a chance of getting an interview? I have a pretty strong portfolio for philosophy if that means anything?

any ideas and advice are welcome! especially if it's about how i can tailor my personal statement to work with both courses
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!

I'm applying to university this year to study philosophy and politics. I'm aware that Cambridge does not offer joint or double degrees such as philosophy and politics, but i would maybe like to apply to cambridge to do a pure philosophy degree.

If i apply for a philosophy degree at cambridge with a personal statement for politics and philosophy would I have a chance of getting an interview? I have a pretty strong portfolio for philosophy if that means anything?

any ideas and advice are welcome! especially if it's about how i can tailor my personal statement to work with both courses

When you apply for Cambridge, they allow you to fill a form to add things you could not put on your personal statement
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
When you apply for Cambridge, they allow you to fill a form to add things you could not put on your personal statement

hey thanks for responding.

That's useful to know thank you! So, in your opinion, i would still be considered despite having a personal statement for politics and philosophy?
hey thanks for responding.

That's useful to know thank you! So, in your opinion, i would still be considered despite having a personal statement for politics and philosophy?

Yes.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/how/cambridge-application
‘a Cambridge specific personal statement. This is optional. For example, if you are applying to a course that is only offered at Cambridge, you can give information about why you want to study that course specifically.’
Reply 4
Hi!

You should be fine, but I would gear it more towards Cambridge to increase your chances of getting in there. It should not be too difficult though as you can talk about Philosophy in general, and some Political Philosophy, and then you can keep the pure politics to a relatively small section.
Reply 5
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Yes.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/how/cambridge-application
‘a Cambridge specific personal statement. This is optional. For example, if you are applying to a course that is only offered at Cambridge, you can give information about why you want to study that course specifically.’

thanks for ur help
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
You should be fine, but I would gear it more towards Cambridge to increase your chances of getting in there. It should not be too difficult though as you can talk about Philosophy in general, and some Political Philosophy, and then you can keep the pure politics to a relatively small section.

thank you for responding, that's what i was thinking too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending