The Student Room Group

Law or Philosophy + Ethics A-Level?

I'm currently doing Law, Sociology and English Language. I'm about 4 weeks in and I don't like law that much, I find it very boring and there's just so much uninteresting stuff to learn and I really don't want to get a bad grade in it.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has done both Law (AQA) and RS Philosophy + Ethics (OCR) and ask which one is better? Apparently Philosophy is really hard but more interesting? I really just need to know because I'm thinking about dropping Law to do Philosophy instead but the worst thing that could happen lol is that I end up not liking philosophy/finding it too hard and getting a bad grade anyway. Feels like a grass is greener/devil you know, devil you don't know situation. Just really looking for some advice, I have no idea what I'm doing and need to decide before October 8th.

Or I'm considering switching to Psychology, but I'm mainly thinking about Philosophy and Ethics

(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
It is difficult to know what will suit you best until you try it. My son took Law, RS and history a levels. He started out taking Maths, History and FM. He decided he didn’t like FM so looked at the option blocks and couldn’t choose between Law and RS as had never studied either. He decided to do both for a week and then pick one. He liked both so dropped maths and further maths and was very happy! RS Philosophy and Law are quite different. Law is a lot of learning, Philosophy is a lot of reading. Both require logical thinking and good argumentation skills. Psychology ( my daughter took) is much more science based. Give them all a try and then make a choice. My son didn’t style on his final choices untilNovember of year 12. If you are not enjoying law and finding it boring at this stage then it is definitely worth looking at making a change. It is a lot of learning.
Reply 2
psychology would probably be a good option depending on what you want to do at uni, philosophy and ethics as a subject can be a bit wishy washy for some universities. good luck ! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by aliaa03
psychology would probably be a good option depending on what you want to do at uni, philosophy and ethics as a subject can be a bit wishy washy for some universities. good luck ! :smile:

It very much depends on what you are looking at for uni I agree. RS and Philospohy are well respected for humanities, law, politics etc. Psychology a better option for more science based degree subjects. It also depends where your strengths lie. An A in RS is regarded as better than a C in Psychology by all unis for all subjects!
Reply 4
Original post by jejewhjaghjee
I'm currently doing Law, Sociology and English Language. I'm about 4 weeks in and I don't like law that much, I find it very boring and there's just so much uninteresting stuff to learn and I really don't want to get a bad grade in it.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has done both Law (AQA) and RS Philosophy + Ethics (OCR) and ask which one is better? Apparently Philosophy is really hard but more interesting? I really just need to know because I'm thinking about dropping Law to do Philosophy instead but the worst thing that could happen lol is that I end up not liking philosophy/finding it too hard and getting a bad grade anyway. Feels like a grass is greener/devil you know, devil you don't know situation. Just really looking for some advice, I have no idea what I'm doing and need to decide before October 8th.

Or I'm considering switching to Psychology, but I'm mainly thinking about Philosophy and Ethics

philosophy is significantly leagues above psychology in terms of prestige, no matter what the exam board. psychology as an academic discipline was founded based on the core principles of philosophy. philosophy is considered more academic by cambridge, as it is a "suitable humanities a level" whereas psychology is a "limited suitability humanities a level". psychology is memorising theorists and what their two pence into the discipline was, whereas i find philosophy to be much more interesting - it's to do with the mind, ethics, religion, epistemology, the cosmological arguments, mechanics, the list goes on... philosophy is hard but it is more interesting and more respected. psychology is the second most picked a level behind maths, and if you consider not all schools/ sixth forms offer it, that means 'per capita' if you will psychology is the most picked a level per amount of sixth forms it is offered in. therefore, it is on the brink of uselessness due to the inflation of people taking it, you won't learn human behaviour, you will learn a joke of a science course which will drain your love of learning. arguably you learn more about the mind and the brain in philosophy than you do psychology.

quote i saw on tsr once, "average people study events. academics study ideas"

Quick Reply

Latest