The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

stoke on Trent :S

Keele is an amazing Uni but should I be put off by the location? I love the campus but I'm unsure about the area I know that stoke on Trent isnt the liveliest of places. You can't stay on campus every day you want to be able to go out and explore. Also when getting a job won't it be difficult to do so in such a derelict area.
Pleaseee help!!!!:frown:
Original post by em211997
Keele is an amazing Uni but should I be put off by the location? I love the campus but I'm unsure about the area I know that stoke on Trent isnt the liveliest of places. You can't stay on campus every day you want to be able to go out and explore. Also when getting a job won't it be difficult to do so in such a derelict area.
Pleaseee help!!!!:frown:

You're correct that Keele is a nice University/area, but so is Newcastle and some parts of Stoke, afterall if it was that bad, why would thousands of students choose to go there every year?
You'll enjoy wherever you go, as long as you try and make friends.
One benefit of living in Stoke is that it's considerably cheap to rent (which although won't seem a big concern of yours now, will in the future years).
As for getting a job it's fairly easy, plenty of shops, bars etc nearby and the university itself employs a large number of students for similar work.
Coming to Keele was the best decision I've made in my life, I'm sure you'll be of the same opinion, as long as you are willing to make the step! :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by ihateocr
You're correct that Keele is a nice University/area, but so is Newcastle and some parts of Stoke, afterall if it was that bad, why would thousands of students choose to go there every year?
You'll enjoy wherever you go, as long as you try and make friends.
One benefit of living in Stoke is that it's considerably cheap to rent (which although won't seem a big concern of yours now, will in the future years).
As for getting a job it's fairly easy, plenty of shops, bars etc nearby and the university itself employs a large number of students for similar work.
Coming to Keele was the best decision I've made in my life, I'm sure you'll be of the same opinion, as long as you are willing to make the step! :smile:

Are you sure I'm used to a big city (London) so I think I'll find it difficult to adjust??
Are you sure I'm used to a big city (London) so I think I'll find it difficult to adjust??

No you won't, I'm from a very big city as well. The vast majority of students at Keele are from big cities (plenty from London) anyway.
It's not even like you're living in the middle of nowhere, Stoke and Newcastle are 10-20 minutes away on the bus.
Don't convince yourself into thinking that you wont 'fit in', everybody has these feelings, you're not alone, I was the same.
Honestly, you will never regret it and look back on what you were so worried about. Life's all about new and exciting experiences afterall! People were telling me the exact same things 2-3 years ago! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ihateocr
No you won't, I'm from a very big city as well. The vast majority of students at Keele are from big cities (plenty from London) anyway.
It's not even like you're living in the middle of nowhere, Stoke and Newcastle are 10-20 minutes away on the bus.
Don't convince yourself into thinking that you wont 'fit in', everybody has these feelings, you're not alone, I was the same.
Honestly, you will never regret it and look back on what you were so worried about. Life's all about new and exciting experiences afterall! People were telling me the exact same things 2-3 years ago! :smile:

Thank you for the advice I'll definitely have a think about it:smile:
Thank you for the advice I'll definitely have a think about it:smile:

Awesome, whatever you decide on, my best advice to you is: move away from home (not necessarily just to Keele), but so that you get the full 'uni experience' then, and you'll never look back. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest