The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex or Keele University?

Hello all :smile:.

I am having a ridiculously hard time deciding between Keele or Sussex as my firm choice. I know at the end of the day it will have to be my decision, but i just wanted a little bit of info about which uni was better overall. I have been to Sussex (and i loved it btw), but i haven't been to Keele as it is so far away (but from what i have seen online it looks beautiful too). I really don't care about league tables, i am not really that career oriented and reputation doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I just want the raw info. Which one in general has the nicer vibe?, which one has nicer people?, which one is more creative?, which one is less pretentious?. If it helps i am not really fond of big cities they give me a lot of anxiety, and also i plan on moving to Greater Manchester afterwards so i do realise that Keele is significantly closer to Manchester than Sussex is (Brighton is far too expensive). Oh and i also want to study Film Studies so whichever one is better in that regard would be great information to have too. (Personally, i love the Keele course a lot more than the Sussex one, the modules are far better but i don't mind them too much).

Anything at all would be great.
Original post by izzy_a

I am having a ridiculously hard time deciding between Keele or Sussex as my firm choice. I know at the end of the day it will have to be my decision, but i just wanted a little bit of info about which uni was better overall. I have been to Sussex (and i loved it btw), but i haven't been to Keele as it is so far away (but from what i have seen online it looks beautiful too). I really don't care about league tables, i am not really that career oriented and reputation doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I just want the raw info. Which one in general has the nicer vibe?, which one has nicer people?, which one is more creative?, which one is less pretentious?. If it helps i am not really fond of big cities they give me a lot of anxiety, and also i plan on moving to Greater Manchester afterwards so i do realise that Keele is significantly closer to Manchester than Sussex is (Brighton is far too expensive). Oh and i also want to study Film Studies so whichever one is better in that regard would be great information to have too. (Personally, i love the Keele course a lot more than the Sussex one, the modules are far better but i don't mind them too much).

I am currently at Sussex and currently live with a Film Studies student and a masters student who did her undergrad at Keele so hopefully I can be of some use (plus I have visited both campuses). I'd say Sussex is probably your best bet when it comes to a liberal, creative atmosphere but it is quite middle class so there are times where people are talking about their trust funds and you're like 'I'm sorry, what'. That being said, it's easy to find people not like that and those who are, are still lovely, there's just some gaps in understanding there. As for campuses, from what I remember, I can remember thinking Keele looked great in pictures but the nice bits are only a small amount of the campus. However, it's set in the middle of nowhere which I liked. The social scene apparently wasn't great either at Keele as there was the students union and thats it. Sussex has a couple of bars on campus and Brighton near by. Though it sounds like you're like me and hate busy cities but I find Sussex okay as it is very much set away from Brighton and is it's own little town, much like Keele. My friend who does Film loves the course and apparently the lecturers are amazing, especially some guy called Niall if you every come across him. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help just message me or reply to this.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by KMLeeson
I am currently at Sussex and currently live with a Film Studies student and a masters student who did her undergrad at Keele so hopefully I can be of some use (plus I have visited both campuses). I'd say Sussex is probably your best bet when it comes to a liberal, creative atmosphere but it is quite middle class so there are times where people are talking about their trust funds and you're like 'I'm sorry, what'. That being said, it's easy to find people not like that and those who are, are still lovely, there's just some gaps in understanding there. As for campuses, from what I remember, I can remember thinking Keele looked great in pictures but the nice bits are only a small amount of the campus. However, it's set in the middle of nowhere which I liked. The social scene apparently wasn't great either at Keele as there was the students union and thats it. Sussex has a couple of bars on campus and Brighton near by. Though it sounds like you're like me and hate busy cities but I find Sussex okay as it is very much set away from Brighton and is it's own little town, much like Keele. My friend who does Film loves the course and apparently the lecturers are amazing, especially some guy called Niall if you every come across him. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help just message me or reply to this.

Thank you so much for replying :smile:. Yeah this all really helped.
I had this same choice as well, however I felt that Sussex was the better uni to go with.

It wasn't based on statistics or other people's opinions, it was purely my gut feeling.

Enjoy uni wherever you go, and if you go to Sussex, see you there!
I'm a first year student at Keele and im probably transferring to Sussex in my next year, so feel free to ask me any questions in regards to Keele. I'll answer any nitty gritty stuff you want to know, cause i was in your position not long ago.
Original post by izzy_a

Reply 5
Original post by goonerwzy
I'm a first year student at Keele and im probably transferring to Sussex in my next year, so feel free to ask me any questions in regards to Keele. I'll answer any nitty gritty stuff you want to know, cause i was in your position not long ago.

Thank you so much for helping me out :smile:. If you don’t mind me asking, why are you transferring?, was it something to do with Keele or did you just like Sussex more?. I read on one of those university lists that Keele had bad WiFi because of its location. Is that true?. And also in your opinion is Stoke-On-Trent a nice place for students?, is there enough to do there?. I’ve heard that the people there are really nice but is that really true? (for the most part, not everyone can be nice). I think that’s all I want to ask. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by goonerwzy
Hey, well the main reason im transferring is because im originally from London which is quite a fast-paced city with lots going on, and lots to do and the truth is i haven't adjusted well to the rural aspect of Keele. I feel Sussex still retains the campus aspect of a university, whilst being relatively close to Brighton a more fun, active city.

I've made a pros/cons list on some of the stuff you asked and more, to help you out.

Pros:
- Strong Wifi: I believe Keele actually has stronger wifi compared to Sussex. Alot of people complain the wifi drops sometimes at Sussex. The only issue is at Keele, you cant connect gaming consoles, alexas, chrome casts etc. to the internet
- Good Support: The teachers/lecturers are very supportive and understanding and you can raise any issue with them. Also during Exam season, they have a place you can chill and get free fruit and free tea etc, which i think is a nice touch.
- Students Union: The students union is one of the most active student unions in the country, theres weekly nights out there etc. Even though in the middle of term hardly any one goes, towards the end and start of term, it's packed and very lively.
- Friendly Students: Everyone at Keele is very friendly and approachable. I havent had a negative encounter with students at the university. Even the people i live with aren't my close friends, but we respect each other and no one causes living pains/issues. I actually think people are more friendly at Keele compared to Sussex and theres alot more UK students. Sussex has a high percentage of international students.

- Non political University: I feel that Sussex has a reputation for being a very liberal university and they are constantly involved in marches/protests/demonstrations, all of which i can imagine will be very tiring to be around. I quite enjoy the fact that Keele doesnt stand out as a right-wing or left-wing environment. Everyone just makes jokes and satirical fun about politics but no one takes offence and what you believe in.

Cons:
- Stoke is a sh*t city to live in: Its gloomy, grey and depressive. Home to the largest UKIP suppport base in the country. Theres no clubs/night outs what so ever (theres one called Fiction (an hour away), but it's not lively and full of perverts). The main shopping mall is 1 hour and 15 minutes away from Keele in total (Intu Potteries). Theres Newcastle-U-L which is closer to Keele, but its only good for food shopping, not any other form of shopping or eating out. Theres no jobs in Stoke for students compared to Brighton. This is one of the main reasons i prefer Sussex. Brighton is much more vibrant and alot more going on.
- Library: The library already has limited spaces during deadline periods..... and its an open library for the public. This means theres times it gets packed with sixth-form students talking loudly in the silent study area. I wish Keele were like every other university and had ID turnstiles so that you have to be a student to go to the library. It would make it a much better place to spend the day there doing work.
- Law: The law course was overall decent, but one thing let it down so much for me.... the sports hall. Every monday we had to do one of our 2 hour lectures in the gymnasium. Its hot, no window ventilation, it stinks because people do sports there before hand. The university said they try not to use it but theres limited lecture halls. I was disappointed, because paying 10k a year to go to a university and they make you learn in an uncomfortable condition is not ideal. Also the other lectures were in lecture halls that had no tables attatched to chairs, so i had to write on my lap. (its small details like this that make it worse).

Of course this is all my personal opinion, but i've tried to give you a deeper insight to what its really like at Keele (the stuff you wont know from going to the Open Days). In terms of accomodation, all accomodation is relatively good. I live in the Oaks Ensuite which is expensive but very worth it. The only issue i've had with accomodation is in the winter months, lady birds live in the crack of my windows, so when i open my window in the winter near enough to 20 ladybirds will enter one after the other and its very annoying.

If theres any more you want to know or to expand on, let me know!
Hope i've helped.

Thank you for all the info, yeah all the pros are very convinving but Stoke does sound like a bit of a sh*tty place. Thanks for being honest :smile:
Original post by izzy_a

Hey there, thanks for considering Keele. :smile:

If you're looking for a university that's rurally located then Keele might well be for you! Manchester isn't too far away (I believe it's just under an hour from Stoke on the train) but Keele is certainly very secluded from Manchester and Stoke. Last year I lived on campus and went into Stoke perhaps twice, so it's really not somewhere that you have to go if you don't want to. Many first years do tend to live on site and then move a little further afield in second year, but unless you're a medical or healthcare student you will likely be living in Silverdale or Newcastle-under-Lyme, so I wouldn't worry too much about being near to Stoke.

A lot of students I've met from the South of England have commented about how cheap Keele is. :tongue: I think it's a general rule that things are a little cheaper the further North you are. (Though Keele is firmly in the Midlands :wink:.)

I think the course has to be the most important aspect of your decision though, you don't want to attend a university and not enjoy the studying.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Keele :smile:

Mark,
Second Year
Original post by izzy_a

there's no comparison; sussex by far is superior to keele. choose sussex, got nice people, good vibes, good nightlife, good lecturers.
Original post by wailzy
How are you making this comparison? Did you know people who study at both or just a sussex bias?

I dont know anyone personally who studies at keele.

but come on. it's obvious, you'd have to be blind to see keele as superior to sussex. sussex is the only logical choice here.
Original post by kate-Bush
I dont know anyone personally who studies at keele.

but come on. it's obvious, you'd have to be blind to see keele as superior to sussex. sussex is the only logical choice here.

Personally, I think you might want to think about how logical it is to judge something you've admitted knowing very little about.
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Personally, I think you might want to think about how logical it is to judge something you've admitted knowing very little about.

no disrespect to keele.
going to A uni is better than no uni.

keele is 48th in uni rankings which is higher than i expected tbh, thought it was a lot lower than that.
but comparing keele to sussex? keele might be a more beautiful uni but sussex is top 30 in the country
Original post by kate-Bush
no disrespect to keele.
going to A uni is better than no uni.

keele is 48th in uni rankings which is higher than i expected tbh, thought it was a lot lower than that.
but comparing keele to sussex? keele might be a more beautiful uni but sussex is top 30 in the country

I'm sorry that you seem to think Keele's rankings (or that of any university) are particularly important when it comes to studying there.
Keele is super nice if you’re not into big cities. I am the same, Keele doesn’t intimidate me at all!! (I am first year). Keele is also a great place in terms of travel, it’s a half hour train to Manchester so that would be convenient for you. Keele is a lovely place and a great little community, you feel like you know literally everyone. There is so much support. So many societies, all that jazz. It’s also super nice because it’s a campus university, literally if you have a 9am you can leave at 8:45am and be where you need perfectly on time :smile: it’s good too because there’s some shops on campus like cost cutters so if you find yourself out of necessities you can just pop down and grab them! :smile: I personally love living at Keele, it’s my most favourite place to be as it’s so different to where I live! If you have any questions about living there feel free to drop me a message x
Original post by izzy_a

4 years later im in the exact same position omgg what uni did u choose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending