The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

zfa7596
Hey guys
first i wanna say thank you for rading my thread. I wanted to ask what standard grade and higher subjects do i have to take to get into medical school, i've always wanted to be a doctor, and also what grades do i need to get if i want to get in? I'm in S2 and i'm choosing my subjects next month.
any help is very grateful to me.
:smile:

I've moved this to the Medicine forum. You'll get a better response here.
Chemistry is needed at A2 (though I think one Uni only requests it at AS)
Biology (some at just AS, some at A2)

Alot ask for Chemistry plus another science.
I think it's Cambridge that prefer a full set of Sciences (Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths).
Some like a humanities.

I think a good set would be Chem, Bio, Maths and one humanity, with perhaps the Chem, Biologu and Humanity taken A2. That would be fine.
:facepalm:
YOU DO NOT NEED MATHS FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL

/fustrated
Reply 184
Hi,
I'm in year 11 and will soon have to choose my A levels. I want to do medicine at university and ideally would like to go to oxbridge or other top unis.

At the moment I'm pretty sure I'm going to do:
Maths
Chemistry
Biology.

I also love languages so I would like to do Spanish as well, though I am considering dropping it after AS.

What I'm finding most difficult is choosing one last subject to do. I love Philosophy and Politics, and I am also considering History and Economics.

Any advice? any of those considered soft subjects? any particular advice concerning oxbridge?

Thanks
Reply 185
With A - Levels the most important thing is to do subjects that you like. Spanish is a very good option and if you like and have done it and GCSE then you should do it. That will mean you will be doing 4 AS Levels and if you want to do one more then out of the ones mentioned I will recommend History as its a strong traditional subjects if you want to get into oxbridge. Remember that your offer will probably only be 3 A Levels and you should concentrate on extra curricular activities as well as work experience but for now I recommend you to work hard on your GCSEs.

Good Luck, from an AS Level medic wannabe who dreams with cambridge!!!
I've just started my AS year at college, having chosen Bio, Chem, Eng Lit., French and ab initio Italian (GCSE at the end of this year, AS/A2 at the end of next) as my options.
However, I am really not enjoying English Lit. through a combination of not liking the teachers, set texts and just the subject in general. I'm trying to choose a 5th AS level to switch to, and am having difficulties though. Ideally, I'd really like to do latin - I got an A* at GCSE and it was one of my favourite subjects. It has a really lovely small class of three (being a state school :p: ) and the teachers are fantastic :woo: However, I know one of the important entry criteria is showing a commitment to medicine, and I'm concerned that by taking three languages I'd essentially look like that was the direction I want to go in, but felt pressured into medicine, or was applying for future earnings/prestige etc. This isn't true at all, languages are just the only non-science subject that I genuinely enjoy :dontknow:

At the end of the day though, as much as I'd like to do Latin, my priority is getting into medicine, and I'd prefer to either battle on with English lit, or take something like Economics or Geography rather than jeopardise my chances of getting a place which are precarious enough already!

Any thoughts or advice? I've emailed some admissions tutors, but am still waiting on responses, and I'm worried there might be an unofficial bias :dontknow:
lu.l.c.
Hi,
I'm in year 11 and will soon have to choose my A levels. I want to do medicine at university and ideally would like to go to oxbridge or other top unis.

Maths
Chemistry
Biology.

I also love languages so I would like to do Spanish as well, though I am considering dropping it after AS.

What I'm finding most difficult is choosing one last subject to do. I love Philosophy and Politics, and I am also considering History and Economics.

Any advice? any of those considered soft subjects? any particular advice concerning oxbridge?

Thanks

I think Cambridge would prefer if your 4th AS Level was Physics, but it's unlikely to matter too much (if at all) if you don't have it. Politics isn't soft, but is perhaps "softer" than History and Spanish.
History, Spanish, Physics, just a subject which is considered traditional. Politics is considered "soft", as Jonty99 said.

So either History or Spanish (you didn't mention Physics so I'm guessing you don't like it), whichever you prefer. Also see how year eleven goes, which ones you like more, maybe which one you do better in at GCSE level.
Actually OP, reading your post again, I'm a bit confused.

Have you decided on bio, chem, maths, spanish and want one more choice?

Or have you decided on bio, chem, maths, and want one more choice?
Reply 190
There is usually no preference over the 4th A-Level, and from what I remember of the Cambridge prospectus, they show know preference to someone with Physics as a 4th. I do know that "Some preference" will be shown to those students who have a 4th A-Level outside of the traditional four sciences. Specifically, Eng Lit/Lang, History, Geog, or a Modern Foreign.
Luca118
There is usually no preference over the 4th A-Level, and from what I remember of the Cambridge prospectus, they show know preference to someone with Physics as a 4th. I do know that "Some preference" will be shown to those students who have a 4th A-Level outside of the traditional four sciences. Specifically, Eng Lit/Lang, History, Geog, or a Modern Foreign.

Not at Oxbridge though.
lu.l.c.
Hi,

Maths
Chemistry
Biology.

Thanks

Does anyone stating that politics is on the list of "limited suitability" actually have a source? That's not a ticking off - I just can't find one...
However, people forget that regardless of whether it's considered a so-called "soft" option or not, that only matters if you opt for two or more of them. Politics by itself is fine.

Ben93
With A - Levels the most important thing is to do subjects that you like. Spanish is a very good option and if you like and have done it and GCSE then you should do it. That will mean you will be doing 4 AS Levels and if you want to do one more then out of the ones mentioned I will recommend History as its a strong traditional subjects if you want to get into oxbridge. Remember that your offer will probably only be 3 A Levels and you should concentrate on extra curricular activities as well as work experience but for now I recommend you to work hard on your GCSEs.

Good Luck, from an AS Level medic wannabe who dreams with cambridge!!!

It's equally important to choose a subject you're going to do well in OP; hopefully the two will correlate.
And you're right, though if you're doing 4 subjects at A2 you're liable to get a rather beastie AAAA offer from Cambridge :headfire: (AAAC @ Imperial)
Reply 193
do physics and you'll have everything like me :biggrin:

maths bio chem phy and a language (dutch was mine)
Reply 194
chloemo14
I've just started my AS year at college, having chosen Bio, Chem, Eng Lit., French and ab initio Italian (GCSE at the end of this year, AS/A2 at the end of next) as my options.
However, I am really not enjoying English Lit. through a combination of not liking the teachers, set texts and just the subject in general. I'm trying to choose a 5th AS level to switch to, and am having difficulties though. Ideally, I'd really like to do latin - I got an A* at GCSE and it was one of my favourite subjects. It has a really lovely small class of three (being a state school :p: ) and the teachers are fantastic :woo: However, I know one of the important entry criteria is showing a commitment to medicine, and I'm concerned that by taking three languages I'd essentially look like that was the direction I want to go in, but felt pressured into medicine, or was applying for future earnings/prestige etc. This isn't true at all, languages are just the only non-science subject that I genuinely enjoy :dontknow:

At the end of the day though, as much as I'd like to do Latin, my priority is getting into medicine, and I'd prefer to either battle on with English lit, or take something like Economics or Geography rather than jeopardise my chances of getting a place which are precarious enough already!

Any thoughts or advice? I've emailed some admissions tutors, but am still waiting on responses, and I'm worried there might be an unofficial bias :dontknow:

Subject choice doesn't show commitment to medicine. You can only really show direct commitment to medicine in your personal statement. If you want to do Latin, do Latin. The grades you get will outweigh your subject choice massively. Subject choice barely has an impact, if at all - providing you meet the subject requirements of course.
Reply 195
Jonty99
Not at Oxbridge though.

Correct, but OP said other top Uni's too. Only one of the four choices is going to be Oxbridge.

Theoretically, applying with 3 Sciences + Different Subject to Oxbridge holds no advantage at Oxbridge, but also no disadvantage. But it holds advantage at other universities, so if OP chose a different subject, and applies to his/her strengths, they could apply to Oxbridge, and 3 Uni's that value the unusual subject, potentially increasing the chance of an offer. :biggrin:
math
F. math
chem
bio
physics
language.

sorted.
Luca118
Correct, but OP said other top Uni's too. Only one of the four choices is going to be Oxbridge.

Theoretically, applying with 3 Sciences + Different Subject to Oxbridge holds no advantage at Oxbridge, but also no disadvantage. But it holds advantage at other universities, so if OP chose a different subject, and applies to his/her strengths, they could apply to Oxbridge, and 3 Uni's that value the unusual subject, potentially increasing the chance of an offer. :biggrin:

I would used to have agreed, but I emailed a Cambridge college asking would I be disadvantaged with 3 sciences and 1 humanity (what I did), and they said, I wouldn't be disadvantaged, but they would prefer Bio,chem,maths,physics.

Which, to be honest, makes it seem like cambridge prefer 4 sciences more than anywhere else (except UCL) prefers 3 sciences and one humanity. Since most places have absolutely no preference at all. I can't think of 3 unis which prefer a contrasting subject. (Are there even 3 such universities? UCL and Peninsula spring to mind, but I don't think there's anywhere else.)
Reply 198
paddy__power
math
F. math
chem
bio
physics
language.

sorted.

Why? There's just no need to have all of those sciences. In the majority of cases chemsitry and biology only is fine. A few Cambridge colleges will prefer three sciences (I think one asks for A-level mathematics). But an even greater number of medical schools will welcome arts and social sciences (any solid, contrasting subject) and there's no reason why languages are the only acceptable non-science subject

Magical.Malteaser

So either History or Spanish (you didn't mention Physics so I'm guessing you don't like it), whichever you prefer. Also see how year eleven goes, which ones you like more, maybe which one you do better in at GCSE level.

Or philosophy, economics....

lu.l.c.
Hi,

Maths
Chemistry
Biology.

Thanks

Generally speaking there may be "top" unis (although which unis are considered to be "top" varies from person to person). But this doesn't really hold true in medicine as all medical schools are good. There aren't really "top" medical schools. There are still prestigious universities (Oxford, Cambridge), or universities particularly well known for having medicine as a strength or traditional area (Newcastle) but these aren't necessarily better than, say, St Georges or Brighton and Sussex.

I'll let the medics fill you in on the differences on course structure and teaching style between medical schools, particualrly Oxford and Cambridge.

As for "soft subjects". Philosophy certainly is not a soft subject, it's a very traditional subject and, although not a particularly popular A-level, is still quite rigorous. A social science like politics will also be acceptable (certainly not dismissed as being soft by most medical schools).

This wiki article gives information on A-level grades and preferred subjects

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

But I wouldn't say it's necessary to take five subjects. Just three A-levels and one AS is often sufficient.

I'm going to ask someone to move this to the medicine forum so you can get better replies.
River85
Why? There's just no need to have all of those sciences. In the majority of cases chemsitry and biology only is fine. A few Cambridge colleges will prefer three sciences (I think one asks for A-level mathematics). But an even greater number of medical schools will welcome arts and social sciences (any solid, contrasting subject) and there's no reason why languages are the only acceptable non-science subject

Or philosophy, economics....

Generally speaking there may be "top" unis (although which unis are considered to be "top" varies from person to person). But this doesn't really hold true in medicine as all medical schools are good. There aren't really "top" medical schools. There are still prestigious universities (Oxford, Cambridge), or universities particularly well known for having medicine as a strength or traditional area (Newcastle) but these aren't necessarily better than, say, St Georges or Brighton and Sussex.

I'll let the medics fill you in on the differences on course structure and teaching style between medical schools, particualrly Oxford and Cambridge.

As for "soft subjects". Philosophy certainly is not a soft subject, it's a very traditional subject and, although not a particularly popular A-level, is still quite rigorous. A social science like politics will also be acceptable (certainly not dismissed as being soft by most medical schools).

This wiki article gives information on A-level grades and preferred subjects

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

But I wouldn't say it's necessary to take five subjects. Just three A-levels and one AS is often sufficient.

I'm going to ask someone to move this to the medicine forum so you can get better replies.

All Cambridge colleges need 3 sciences. :wink: (But not all need 3 sciences to full A Level. Some do, but I think most are ok with 2 A2 sciences, and 1 AS Science)

Latest

Trending

Trending