The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Numberone-outkast
you need 3 sciences, they may say they accept 2 but rarely have i seen them give out places with people who have only done 2 sciences. then again i could be taking out my....

you DO NOT need three sciences at all. some places will actually accept you with only one newcastle for example

Newcastle website
AAA at A level. Subjects should include Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A). We do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking as an A level entry qualification.

OP id add another AS into that combination as alot of places expect it however if you school only allows 3 then they seem fine
aimz08
Oh and I dont believe you need 3 sciences for the majority of the medicine courses

yeah like i said they say they accept 2 sciences, but rarely you see places being given out to people who have only done 2 sciences. it really does increase your chances if you do 3-4 sciences.
Reply 582
Numberone-outkast
you need 3 sciences, they may say they accept 2 but rarely have i seen them give out places with people who have only done 2 sciences. then again i could be taking out my....

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong information like this causes people to make unnecessary choices.

Here's a list of medical schools and what subjects they typically want:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

In fact, UCL for example says:

"Some preference will be given to candidates whose third A-level or additional AS-level is outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics."

!!!
brokenangel
you DO NOT need three sciences at all. some places will actually accept you with only one newcastle for example

OP id add another AS into that combination as alot of places expect it however if you school only allows 3 then they seem fine

only if you read my comment correctly i never said they don't accept 2 sciences, but they prefer 3-4 sciences and its a big factor, they usually dont give out places to people who have only done 2 sciences.
Reply 584
Numberone-outkast
yeah like i said they say they accept 2 sciences, but rarely you see places being given out to people who have only done 2 sciences. it really does increase your chances if you do 3-4 sciences.

I don't think it does...I know quite a few medics who havent done 3 sciences.

OP - You should be looking or posting in this thread you'll get a better response. You can also view applicants profiles
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=296517
Reply 585
UEA - Only ask for Bio specifically. So that's once science.
You won't be disadvantaged if you do 2 sciences.
freecom2
Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong information like this causes people to make unnecessary choices.

Here's a list of medical schools and what subjects they typically want:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

In fact, UCL for example says:

"Some preference will be given to candidates whose third A-level or additional AS-level is outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics."

!!!

read my comment correctly, i didn't say they don't accept 2 sciences but they definitely prefer 3-4 sciences.
Numberone-outkast
read my comment correctly, i didn't say they don't accept 2 sciences but they definitely prefer 3-4 sciences.

you don't know what you're talking about.
Reply 588
You don't know what you're talking about. [2]
Wata
Biology, Chemistry and Geography.
Sound good for Medicine?

If not, any subject you would add or take away?

Add maths/something you enjoy to do as an AS :smile: I'm applying for Dentistry and taking Bio, Chem and Geography A2 and dropped Maths at AS, I know it's not the same course but yea.. lol
glow stick
you don't know what you're talking about.

most people are disagreeing with me, so yeah i am probably wrong.
Numberone-outkast

Geography is a science
Reply 592
Maths is a No go, for a 4th I was thinking either Physics or Economics?

Also in reply to the banter above, I have looked around at several universities, including, UCL, Kings College, Leicester and Nottingham, all say Chemistry is a must with Biology preferred at A-Level.
Reply 593
I do Biology, Chem, Geography and Maths and have got offers to do medicine.
I would recommend you doing 4 AS levels, but Biology, Chem & Geography sounds like a good combination for A2 levels. I don't think it is of great significance what the 4th AS level you choose is. As long as you have the Chem and preferably the Biology (although most universities don't even require it!) you will be fine!
:smile:
I think they are sound, consider adding a 4th academic subject for AS level.
Reply 595
Wata
Sound good for Medicine?

I took that :smile: do what you wantt!
You might want to take physics or maths.
just add a 4th subject that you'll enjoy!
Wata
Sound good for Medicine?

That would be phine. They only really care that you have Chemistry, another science or maths and one other A level; my third IB higher was French, the other two Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 599
Wata
Also in reply to the banter above, I have looked around at several universities, including, UCL, Kings College, Leicester and Nottingham, all say Chemistry is a must with Biology preferred at A-Level.

Certainly. 2 sciences, certainly no preference for 3 - and as I showed in the quote from UCL, sometimes there is a preference for having the third subject as something other than science.

Economics or Physics are both fine, choose whichever one you'd be more comfortable with.

Latest

Trending

Trending