The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The 'What Subjects Should I Do' Megathread

As we seem to be getting an awful lot of these threads appearing now, I've decided to create a post that should answer all of the questions that have been coming up.

What A levels should I do?
Chemistry and biology are the two which are most commonly needed for medicine. This table shows which A levels are required for each medical school. Please note, the table is currently being updated so should only be used as a guide.

Do I need maths?

NO! Maths is not needed for medicine.

Do I need 3 sciences/maths?
Cambridge requires 3 at AS and some colleges require 3 at A2.

Can I take a non-science subject?
Yes. Some medical schools like a non-science 3rd subject. E.g. UCL and Peninsula

Please use this thread to ask any questions related to A level subjects, all further threads on this topic will be merged with this one. If there are any other questions that frequently come up, I will add them to this post (if you can think of any other useful questions, let me know!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, today I have pretty much been celebrating my GCSEs results. I am hoping to do Medicine and wanted to pick History, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics for my A levels. Unfortunantly my school 6th form put the subjects in blocks and today I was forced to pick Physics instead of History.

I was wondering if it is true that universities perfer to see something outside the sciences as well?
im curious too...i plan to take art as opposed to maths (but with all 3 sciences) ?? :p:
Reply 3
spacepirate-James
im curious too...i plan to take art as opposed to maths (but with all 3 sciences) ?? :p:

Hi, I'm pretty sure that you need maths for medicine so I don't know how that will work out:confused:
Reply 4
You don't need maths for medicine. It varies from uni to uni. From what I've read, the vast majority of universities want two science/maths subjects at A Level, one being Chemistry and having Biology to at least AS. The only place I've seen that wants three is Cambridge.
Amalie_J
Hi, I'm pretty sure that you need maths for medicine so I don't know how that will work out:confused:

Really? :confused: ahh but this is for advanced higher so it isnt exactly the same context :p:
Reply 6
Amalie_J

You don't need maths for medicine and it'll be of little to no use.

Often, the only subjects that universities list as being essential are biology and chemistry. Even then, there are four or five who only ask for one of those two sciences (providng the other is at GCSE).

It obviously varies across medical schools but that's the general rule.
Reply 7
Ok, UCL 'prefer' a non-science, but don't count it against you. But I'd recommend doing maths if you are going to be doing other sciences especially physics.
UCL is the only medical school, as far as I'm aware, that give preference to those with an arts A level. That said, I'm sure plenty don't have arts subjects. If you feel strongly about it, choose another arts subject that does fit into your timetable or do an AS in history in Year 13 if that works.
Reply 9
You do not need maths A level to do Medicine.
with these subjects do i stand a chance of getting into med school. thnxs ps i want to take them into A2
Reply 11
Hey there Amalie_J
Its a shame that you couldn't do what you first wanted because of the way the courses are run but having four science A levels shouldn't disadvantage you in anyway because there are plenty of other ways to show non-science interests, just try your best to make a strong overall application and then I am sure Uni's will not worry. If you need any other advice feel free to ask.
Best wishes and Congrats on the GCSE's, I take it they went well if you are celebrating :smile: x
If it's something you can't change - it's something you can't change.

And can I just reinforce the above mentioned fact that no one doesn't need maths to study medicine!!
Reply 13
Philosoraptor
If it's something you can't change - it's something you can't change.

And can I just reinforce the above mentioned fact that no one doesn't need maths to study medicine!!

Might want to read that sentence again xD

You basically said you do need maths to study medicine the way you postmodified the 'no one' with 'doesn't' Dx

lol just pointing that out.
Amalie_J
Well, today I have pretty much been celebrating my GCSEs results. I am hoping to do Medicine and wanted to pick History, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics for my A levels. Unfortunantly my school 6th form put the subjects in blocks and today I was forced to pick Physics instead of History.

I was wondering if it is true that universities perfer to see something outside the sciences as well?

I'm hoping to do medicine too and I've asked around. It's true they like variety, but you can get that outside of academics as well. For example, getting involved with a society or club or actively making a difference in your community.
Good luck :smile:
xSkyFire
Might want to read that sentence again xD

You basically said you do need maths to study medicine the way you postmodified the 'no one' with 'doesn't' Dx

lol just pointing that out.

Aha, the problems of missing out a single comma!

See if you can work out where it should go. :smile:

HINT: think third person singular one. :smile:
??????///
Reply 17
leave sociology, for a good university (imperial) Maths A level is encouraged.
They're fine for most medical schools, for more detailed information on acceptable combinations of A-levels check the individual schools websites or the TSR wiki. Ignore Diaz, there's so much wrong with that post it's not even worth commenting.
Reply 19
John Locke
They're fine for most medical schools, for more detailed information on acceptable combinations of A-levels check the individual schools websites or the TSR wiki. Ignore Diaz, there's so much wrong with that post it's not even worth commenting.

like?

Latest