The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blatant Troll
It's not odd at all. French was my best subject by some way at A2 (I'm currently in Year 2 at Imperial for a little bit of context). You're allowed to have interests outside of science you know! :tongue:

Regarding A*/A combos, it's neither 'better' nor 'worse' - an AAA offer means AAA (Edit: That said, who's to say what the standard offer will be when you apply, though I'll imagine it will remain the same. Just beast your grades regardless!)

Good luck mate

:holmes:

Thanks a lot for your help mate :biggrin:
Doing the IB and starting to wonder if I've made some bad choices here.

HL: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology
SL: English, Spanish

I know I should've taken bio at higher instead of physics, but because I didn't do a full bio GCSE then I can't (I did physics and private tutoring for chemistry).
I'm struggling with what to do here, how much will this affect my chances of getting into medicine, and does anybody know how many/which unis don't specifically ask for bio? :\
I'm in currently stuck on what A Levels to take that will benefit me the most as I want to study the Medicine in University. I know I have to take Chemistry and Biology. But I just need some ideas on the other 2 subjects. I would love to go to Imperial or Nottingham.
I have applied to medicine this year and I am doing A levels in Bio, Chem, Maths and psychology. If your quite mathematical i would go for the maths/physics, but lots of the uni's now are asking for a non-science subject like history or philosophy
Hope this helped a bit :smile:
Good luck
Reply 1784
As long as you have Chemistry (and to a lesser extent, Biology) you can do whatever academic subjects you like. Pick the ones you'll get the highest grades in. :smile:
Original post by MariaLoveless
I'm in currently stuck on what A Levels to take that will benefit me the most as I want to study the Medicine in University. I know I have to take Chemistry and Biology. But I just need some ideas on the other 2 subjects. I would love to go to Imperial or Nottingham.

Imperial require you to take maths or physics with biology and chemistry for medicine.
Reply 1786
I Want to take chem,bio,maths, i just need one last one what would you guys say was the best option out of government politics,economics,psychiology,sosiology?
Reply 1787
I picked history as a non science subject and also because I enjoy it, but it seems to be much harder to get an A* in. Does anybody know of people who have achieved A* at history?
Original post by cz100
Does anybody know of people who have achieved A* at history?

Yup. :yep:
Reply 1789
I picked history as a non science subject and also because I enjoy it, but it seems to be much harder to get an A* in. Does anybody know of people who have achieved A* at history?

I picked History as well and I'm beginning to fret about how I'll do in the exam. An A* seems pretty far off at the moment. I've also taken Theatre Studies as a release, I've heard that Uni's like it as it shows you have good communicative skills but I'm worrying that when it comes to it it won't be academic enough.
Reply 1790
Original post by cz100

I got 95% at AS, and I'm really nothing special :dontknow:
Maths can help. It's not essential but it helps. You could also try Psychology. Im doning Biology , Chemistry,Physics and English. And I want to do Medicine.
Physics is good too
good luck
You don't HAVE to do biology, but it does help and most do it.

Taking more sciences would help with the BMAT to an extent (which imperial require), and the UKCAT to an even smaller extent, but this is not a massive consideration.

Other than that just take two academically rigorous subjects - arts subjects are fine - just do what you will get good grades in and enjoy.

Original post by Asclepios
Maths can help. It's not essential but it helps. You could also try Psychology. Im doning Biology , Chemistry,Physics and English. And I want to do Medicine.

I'm not sure i would recommend psychology as a third subject. As a fourth supplementary to three strong subjects, perhaps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Good luck in your search
Whatever respected subject (by respected I mean not like, photography), you can get the highest grades with the least work in. Year 12 is hectic, choose what you're naturally talented in. :wink:
I think I read somewhere that Imperial want there applicants to have a contrasting subject like history or something if that helps :P
Originally my brother had planned on doing Medicine, but because he missed off one grade on offer he's now doing Pharmacy and plans on continuing Post graduate med, at Warick (i think) i hope on doing medicine as well and the subjects i'd suggest you take are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Getting into Medicine is not easy so, if you can try and focus more on your GCSEs at present.

(Year 11 Student)

edit: pyscology and whatever ology can really narrow down your options. I feel that Maths is an essential for A-level it really opens doors for you.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm taking maths, chem, bio and business. Will taking business be less favourable to someone who's taking history for example?

Latest

Trending

Trending