The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

LPCers!

Scroll to see replies

Dude you are misguided ... I may also want to live there, but many many people really really do not.
SSU Ambassador
Maybe not but it is a global centre. Why miss out?

I'm not "missing out" by not living in London!!!!!! How ridiculous and narrow minded!!! :mad:
Reply 62
London = big, scarey, busy, unfriendly and has really rude Taxi drivers who slam their breaks on, sound their horn and shout "have you got a ****ing death wish?" out of their window when you inadvertently step in to the road in front of them!
Sheffield = great international law firm to do my TC with, relatively good priced housing and living expenses, and enough green open spaces for my pony to run around it :smile:
Reply 64
I think we've conclusively proved our case, don't you Elle?
Sheffield is pretty cool, I used to swim there quite often and Ponds Forge is awesome!! I've been out a few times and it's a really nice City too, but I wasn't much of a fan of the Sheffield union bar was way too pricy (but a damn nice place inside) for a union. It's just as much fun as every other city :biggrin:.

You possibly don't want to say Elle, but which firm is it with?
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Sheffield is pretty cool, I used to swim there quite often and Ponds Forge is awesome!! I've been out a few times and it's a really nice City too, but I wasn't much of a fan of the Sheffield union bar was way too pricy (but a damn nice place inside) for a union. It's just as much fun as every other city :biggrin:.

You possibly don't want to say Elle, but which firm is it with?

I don't want to say on a public forum - I'm not sure why though! lol :rolleyes:

Sheffield is *amazing* - when I lived in Leeds, I loved Leeds but I appreciated the added extras Sheffield has, such as cheaper prices, people are friendlier especially door staff and shop assistants (do not dare ask for help from a shop assistant in Harvey Nicks; you will be hung, drawn and quartered for such a sin! :p: ) and I realised how Sheffield really feels like home :smile:

Ponds Forge is great yes :cool: When I was a kid when it first opened, I was literally dazzled by the water slide that goes outside!!

I feel very happy here, and even happier now I have my TC here (well hopefully, technically they can move me between offices during my TC, but fingers crossed they don't, or at least only as far as Leeds!) and now Iv bought my house, I feel very settled :smile:
ellewoods
Sheffield = great international law firm to do my TC with, relatively good priced housing and living expenses, and enough green open spaces for my pony to run around it :smile:

Similar for Cardiff, though without the pony in my case. :smile:

There really is more to life in the UK than London.
Reply 68
i dont intend to live in London, and i'm sick of people telling me that that's where all the money and good jobs are. I'm so glad there are other sensible people in the country :biggrin:

I just dont get the fascination with London. There are many large international firms elsewhere, and the cost of living is ridiculous in London.

People are too stressed in london... i notice it whenever i go there just for a day or two. Always bustling around. I love Northumberland so I'm hoping to try and get a job up in Newcastle... lots of lovely hills and green-ness in Northumberland lol.
Reply 69
dragon_1706
Similar for Cardiff, though without the pony in my case. :smile:

There really is more to life in the UK than London.

Cardiff is fantastic to be honest! I'm so happy that i'm doing my law degree here!:biggrin:
Well they say all the money is in London but i'm not convinced that by the time you take into account the general expense of london that you end up any better off!

Northumberland is nice, my homeland ... too many chavs for my liking though :wink:.
Reply 71
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Well they say all the money is in London but i'm not convinced that by the time you take into account the general expense of london that you end up any better off!

Northumberland is nice, my homeland ... too many chavs for my liking though :wink:.

bet there's less than in my hometown. Its the size of a postage stamp but Alton Towers attracts vast numbers of chavs :frown:
Lewis-HuStuJCR

Exactly!

My friend is an estate agent in London (with Foxtons :rolleyes: he's a dodgy git!) and he's on a decent whack, about 24k I think, but by the time he's paid his 1200 a month rent and all the rest, I reckon I have more disposable cash than him from my rubbishy waitressing job! :rolleyes:
Exactly ... don't get me wrong though, after a few years it gets a bit easier!
Reply 74
Back when I was planning on doing a law degree (:frown:) and contemplating on working in London, I had a quick look at the living costs and done a budget and I would have had more disposable money if I just worked and lived in the north.
Reply 75
I wasnt saying that the rest of the country is bad! London is a great city but there are of course other great towns and cities too. Sheffield I don;t know about but I know Bob Dylan once played there so it must be alright. Manchester is pretty cool but people think its dull for some bizzare reason. Birmingham is quite alright - cheap beer and friendly waiters. Cardiff i remember as being nice and green. Oxford is mysterious and intriguing. Going to the LPC open day at Oxford tommorow in fact. Southampton is such a lovely seaport and I know it like the back of my hand but unfortunately I can't do the LPC here. The nearest is Bournemouth but I'm not sure about the quality of a Bournemouth LPC and future prospects and all. There's always Guildford of course....a good compromise since its wedged between the South coast and sorry to repeat.....LONDON.
Reply 76
Lewis-HuStuJCR

I think that's the general misconception with London. I did my degree in Newcastle and find that going out etc. in London is no more expensive. Yes, rent is high (I pay £800 for my flatshare) but while my m8s are earning £18k as a first seat trainee in Newcastle, I'm on £32k. London isn't that much more expensive.
Vitriol01
I think that's the general misconception with London. I did my degree in Newcastle and find that going out etc. in London is no more expensive. Yes, rent is high (I pay £800 for my flatshare) but while my m8s are earning £18k as a first seat trainee in Newcastle, I'm on £32k. London isn't that much more expensive.

Its not a misconception, its the truth! It is very well publicised that this is one of the reasons why London firms have to pay more; the same reason you get more student loan in London! :rolleyes:

My first seat salary is 21k. (in fact it will be a bit higher by the time I start, this was the starting rate when I applied) 18k is a low example to be honest; I looked the probably 25 - 30 firms, 90% of which were in the north, and not one paid less than 20k.

So you claim you earn 11k more than if you would if you were earning at my firm.
But for an excellent quality flatshare in Sheffield, you will pay 240 a month.
So thats an extra 6720 you pay on rent alone, leaving 4280 extra a year.
And having 3 friends who live and work in London, and who are literally amazed by the cheaper nights out up here compared to London when they come and visit, I find it very difficult to believe that you spend no more on taxis, entry to clubs and don't have to pay higher prices for your drinks than you did in Newcastle.

So really, you're not that much better off in London financially, if at all realistically.

I am not slagging off London per se, because I would have no problem with going to do one seat there just for the experience, but it is just plain wrong to describe London as being not "that much more expensive"!!! :rolleyes:
I think the big difference is when you qualify ... 50k+ goes a darn sight closer than the mid-high 30ks in the north
Reply 79
ellewoods
Its not a misconception, its the truth! It is very well publicised that this is one of the reasons why London firms have to pay more; the same reason you get more student loan in London! :rolleyes:

My first seat salary is 21k. (in fact it will be a bit higher by the time I start, this was the starting rate when I applied) 18k is a low example to be honest; I looked the probably 25 - 30 firms, 90% of which were in the north, and not one paid less than 20k.

So you claim you earn 11k more than if you would if you were earning at my firm.
But for an excellent quality flatshare in Sheffield, you will pay 240 a month.
So thats an extra 6720 you pay on rent alone, leaving 4280 extra a year.
And having 3 friends who live and work in London, and who are literally amazed by the cheaper nights out up here compared to London when they come and visit, I find it very difficult to believe that you spend no more on taxis, entry to clubs and don't have to pay higher prices for your drinks than you did in Newcastle.

So really, you're not that much better off in London financially, if at all realistically.

I am not slagging off London per se, because I would have no problem with going to do one seat there just for the experience, but it is just plain wrong to describe London as being not "that much more expensive"!!! :rolleyes:

18.5k is what is paid at the most respected firm in Newcastle. I know from living there myself that it is not that cheap and that I'm better off in London on £32 than I would be in Newcastle on ~£20k.

Plus what sort of excellent quality flatshare are you looking at for £240? Living with one other person, in the centre of Sheffield? Compare like with like. I'd be surprised if it's possible to live in the centre of Sheffield for £480/month for a two bed flat.

Yes, my rent is very expensive for what I get but I can walk to work in 10 mins and live in the centre of everything. I can get a much cheaper flat share for about £500 if I lived 20 mins Tube ride away.

I never pay for taxis - I think I've used one once since I got here as there are excellent night buses. Drinks are no more expensive than the bars I used to go to in Newcastle. The shopping is the same cost at my local Sainsbury's and M&S which just leaves rent.

There's no way that the difference between living in London and living in Newcastle amounts to £13k. There just isn't. London is as expensive as you want to make it, but the basic costs are not that far off other parts of the country (with the exception of rent, of course).

Plus, like the poster above says: the salary is 2-3 times greater in London than it is in Newcastle or Sheffield on qualification. Are you still going to tell me that you're better off living up north? I'm not saying that London is for everyone; it isn't. But to say that London is a miserable place to live because it is too expensive is just rubbish.