The Student Room Group

UCAS Clearing for Law 2024

Hey, I applied to UCL, Durham, Glasgow, Nottingham and Manchester for LLB (common law) and I have conditional offers from all the universities except rejected from UCL because of a bad lnat score and haven’t heard back from Durham (most likely rejected too cause of lnat) so I was just wondering if I should decline all my existing offers (i.e Glasgow, Nottingham and Manchester) and go into clearing? I personally think that my uni choice wasn’t the best and I’m wishing I had chosen Queen Mary/ Leeds/ Bristol/ Birmingham instead.
Does anyone know if any of the universities will enter clearing for Law? Or does anyone have advice in general? I was very hesitant about whether I should go into clearing because I know it’s risky too, so would definitely like to hear what others think about this. Thank you in advance!
Are any of your alternatives available for late applications/Extra?
Reply 2
Original post by Jenna Hansley
Hey, I applied to UCL, Durham, Glasgow, Nottingham and Manchester for LLB (common law) and I have conditional offers from all the universities except rejected from UCL because of a bad lnat score and haven’t heard back from Durham (most likely rejected too cause of lnat) so I was just wondering if I should decline all my existing offers (i.e Glasgow, Nottingham and Manchester) and go into clearing? I personally think that my uni choice wasn’t the best and I’m wishing I had chosen Queen Mary/ Leeds/ Bristol/ Birmingham instead.
Does anyone know if any of the universities will enter clearing for Law? Or does anyone have advice in general? I was very hesitant about whether I should go into clearing because I know it’s risky too, so would definitely like to hear what others think about this. Thank you in advance!
Hi!
I am actually at UCL now studying History but take a module in Criminal Law, have many friends who applied for law last year, and I'm actually applying for law myself this year so I could give you as much advice as I have. I know that feeling when you realise you want to change your course of action, but that you might also feel like everything is set in stone now since your UCAS application has already been sent off.

Firstly, well done for your offers!! All great unis.

As far as I know (and remember from last year), the list of unis doing clearing rarely changes- but usually it goes that the more oversubscribed the course, the less likely clearing will be offered. And particularly for law, which is oversubscribed at most unis anyways, clearing might be a difficult, and a leaving-it-for-last-minute gamble. Furthermore I know from personal experience that Bristol does not do clearing for law, and i would assume the same for UCL and Durham.

Here is the clearing list from 2023, but remember, just because they are on the list doesnt necessarily mean they were offering law: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/clearing-2023-uk-universities-courses-still-available

Don't be disheartened by this; the clearing lists may change. Another thing you could try would be to call the unis now and ask straight from them if there is a way to get yourself in their application pile before results day- this is what I did. The unis you mentioned all have different admissions processes so I would suggest that. Also, do you mind me asking why you wish to change your unis- sometimes the problem may not seem so big once you're in the uni studying already.

Do you already have to start thinking about clearing now? Is it already open?
Original post by Aakha
Hi!
I am actually at UCL now studying History but take a module in Criminal Law, have many friends who applied for law last year, and I'm actually applying for law myself this year so I could give you as much advice as I have. I know that feeling when you realise you want to change your course of action, but that you might also feel like everything is set in stone now since your UCAS application has already been sent off.
Firstly, well done for your offers!! All great unis.
As far as I know (and remember from last year), the list of unis doing clearing rarely changes- but usually it goes that the more oversubscribed the course, the less likely clearing will be offered. And particularly for law, which is oversubscribed at most unis anyways, clearing might be a difficult, and a leaving-it-for-last-minute gamble. Furthermore I know from personal experience that Bristol does not do clearing for law, and i would assume the same for UCL and Durham.
Here is the clearing list from 2023, but remember, just because they are on the list doesnt necessarily mean they were offering law: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/clearing-2023-uk-universities-courses-still-available
Don't be disheartened by this; the clearing lists may change. Another thing you could try would be to call the unis now and ask straight from them if there is a way to get yourself in their application pile before results day- this is what I did. The unis you mentioned all have different admissions processes so I would suggest that. Also, do you mind me asking why you wish to change your unis- sometimes the problem may not seem so big once you're in the uni studying already.
Do you already have to start thinking about clearing now? Is it already open?

Hi, I was wondering what did you say specifically when you called up the unis asking if you can get put in their application pile before results day and what was their response? I've just received all my decisions and I got 3 rejections for law from York, Manchester and Leeds :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by vivienne242
Hi, I was wondering what did you say specifically when you called up the unis asking if you can get put in their application pile before results day and what was their response? I've just received all my decisions and I got 3 rejections for law from York, Manchester and Leeds :frown:

Hey, sorry to hear about the results! Remember that rejection is simply redirection.

Did you get feedback on why you didn’t get the offers? To unis who perhaps rejected you because of your LNAT score it may br futile to try and negotiate with them as that is a set standard for them. However I have heard of instances where the uni simply rejected someone by accident because they processed candidate info wrong or something so for places that you don’t have feedback you can call up to ask what the next steps for you now would be.

I would tell them your situation and ask what the next steps are for you now- try to speak in a convincing manner that this was your preferred uni and that you’re actually a valid candidate. Ask what alternative law courses may be still open at this time.
It’s likely they will say to apply for 2025/2026 for law (this was the response I mostly got at first!) but you may come across a uni who can support you.
Also ask whether there is a possibility of getting into the their specific law course through clearing.
But remember to always set up the context of your situation because this allows them to give you more personalised advice.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending