what uni should i firm for law

BRISTOL
pros:
high ranking for law
love the look and vibe of the city
cons:
private school posh kids apparently are abundant
really expensive accommodation from what i’ve heard
problematic system for allocating accommodation ?

NOTTINGHAM
pros:
diverse
affordable accommodation
nice city liked when i visited
cons:
not as high ranked for law

idk it just feels like a tug of war situation with the pros and cons. if i choose on uni im sacrificing one thing yk.

any thoughts would be great on this.
thank you
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by studentblue22
TL;DR I got rejected from my dream uni for law and now i’m trying to decide what uni to pick out of university of bristol, warwick and nottingham.
BRISTOL
pros:
high ranking for law
cons:
private school posh kids apparently are abundant (i’m working class and black and im worried i won’t fit in)
NOTTINGHAM
pros:
diverse
affordable accommodation
cons:
know people who are there/ going and i want a fresh start
WARWICK
pros:
really good rep
affordable
diverse
cons:
didn’t like coventry when i visited or the look of the faculties
idk it just feels like a tug of war situation with the pros and cons. if i choose on uni im sacrificing one thing yk.
thank you

If you want a fresh start, select Warwick. Else, I think Nottingham could provide the best diversity for you.
Reply 2
Regarding Bristol, as for diversity, somewhere between 19 and 31% of students there are international anyway. Of the non-international, 23.1% are BAME. For the city of Bristol itself, about 6% are black , about 4-5% mixed race, and 81% white.

Obviously, Warwick is almost stereotypically committed to having a representation of all the world's cultures...in Coventry. Particularly for this subject. 64% of their Law students identify as BAME and 38% are international. (higher than the university across all subjects, for which 29% are international). They seem curiously actively proud that 70% of their Law students are female which, in turn means they're proud that only 30% of their students are male. The average entry grades achieved by Warwick Law students is low compared to any other high ranking universities that have also been teaching Law for over 50 years. For the city of Coventry itself, about 9% are black, about 3-4% mixed race, and about 74% are white.

Nottingham is harder to get in to for Law than Warwick. That should tell you something when people go on so much about Warwick in general. Somewhere between 14 and 27% at Nottingham are international, so likely to be a lower percentage than at Bristol. I wouldn't rule somewhere out because you don't want to bump in to someone you know. Imagine what tricky situations you'll come across in Law itself. For the city of Nottingham itself, 10% are black, 6% mixed race, 66% white.

Regarding private school students, Bristol does have the most of those (about 26%) but I'd be grateful for that because some of the friendliest people I've ever known went to private school. They have less need to be so competitive against other people you see. Nottingham has about 18% and Warwick has about 19%. Nottingham used to have a MUCH higher percentage (about 32%) and Nottingham was solidly a top 10-20 university in general but it has regrettably become a little less fashionable over the years in general with UK students.
(edited 1 week ago)
TL;DR I got rejected from my dream uni for law and now i’m trying to decide what uni to pick out of university of bristol, warwick and nottingham.
BRISTOL
pros:
high ranking for law
cons:
private school posh kids apparently are abundant (i’m working class and black and im worried i won’t fit in)
NOTTINGHAM
pros:
diverse
affordable accommodation
cons:
WARWICK
pros:
really good rep
affordable
diverse
cons:
thank you

Hi, just wondering what the issue is with Bristol's allocation of accommodation?
Reply 4
BRISTOL
pros:
high ranking for law
cons:
NOTTINGHAM
pros:
diverse
affordable accommodation
cons:
WARWICK
pros:
really good rep
affordable
diverse
cons:
thank you

I studied law at Bristol and my sister studied law at Nottingham. Both fantastic university's to attend. She had a great time at Nottingham. From my own experience, I found that Bristol always had something exciting happening and the city had a constant buzz. Although it is a city university rather than a campus, everything is in walking distance and I met some great people there. The law school itself was particularly good during covid-19 pandemic and is very student orientated, and the teaching all-round is strong. The 'Wills Building' law library is also the central building in Bristol and is a great place to work from. I understand both have great law societies to get involved with for career development etc and are equally attractive to law firms / recruiters. Please drop me a message if you have any other general questions !
Original post by student01010101
Hi, just wondering what the issue is with Bristol's allocation of accommodation?

I would also like to know this as im still waiting to hear back from bristol about my application and am worried about applying for accomodation so late

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending