The Student Room Group

Would you have owned a slave?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Why are you always so rude? I've said nothing offensive. It's happened on another thread too and I'm starting to think you're just bitter.
I was addressing the point. I'm saying that in general, dogs are not treated better than humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not being rude you didn't seem to understand my point and still dont, sorry if it came of as rudeness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Im not being rude you didn't seem to understand my point and still dont, sorry if it came of as rudeness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's alright :smile: Sorry for being overly sensitive.
Of course it's sad if people treat animals well but not each other, I was just saying that this is generally not the case.
Am I still misunderstanding...? Tbh still don't understand the relevance as there's no one on this thread who said they treated dogs well but not humans.
Nah I wouldn't have been able to afford one.
I love how all of us are looking down righteously from our rarefied heights. Sweat shops are slave labour and none of us think twice about buying clothes from LEDC's which employ sweat shops.
Reply 124
Original post by phaedron
I love how all of us are looking down righteously from our rarefied heights. Sweat shops are slave labour and none of us think twice about buying clothes from LEDC's which employ sweat shops.

dont b daft

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt
Slavery was normal well before the wll documented African Slave Trade. Egypt and Rome were both built on the backs of slavery.

Who do you think started the civil war - it wasnt no "black fella" from out in the fields.

Also the UK was one of the pioneers to abolish slavery (ignoring what they did to the irish though but then we are white)

Except your applying a 21st century value to a situation that wasnt the 21st century. Your entire mentality is shaped by your existence and experiance of the years you have been alive. If you lived in the deep south three hundred years ago or a wealthy family 2000 years ago your outlook would be very different.

Kinda like the way the black Africans treated them before selling them on then.

Not all wealthy slave owners were white. Egyptians for instance

Yeah the English were real peaches to us during the Cromwellian wars and the Famine, tea and cucumber sandwiches all round.

What I find amusing in this thread is that everyone assumes that all white folk owned slaves. The truth was that the only the really elite owned multiple slaves, a wealthy merchant might have one but on the whole the everyday people had it almost as hard. At least slaves got fed. The poor "free" person often didnt know where there next meal was coming from.

No it wouldn't.
Reply 126
Slavery was normal well before the wll documented African Slave Trade. Egypt and Rome were both built on the backs of slavery.

Who do you think started the civil war - it wasnt no "black fella" from out in the fields.

Also the UK was one of the pioneers to abolish slavery (ignoring what they did to the irish though but then we are white)

Except your applying a 21st century value to a situation that wasnt the 21st century. Your entire mentality is shaped by your existence and experiance of the years you have been alive. If you lived in the deep south three hundred years ago or a wealthy family 2000 years ago your outlook would be very different.

Kinda like the way the black Africans treated them before selling them on then.

Not all wealthy slave owners were white. Egyptians for instance

Yeah the English were real peaches to us during the Cromwellian wars and the Famine, tea and cucumber sandwiches all round.

What I find amusing in this thread is that everyone assumes that all white folk owned slaves. The truth was that the only the really elite owned multiple slaves, a wealthy merchant might have one but on the whole the everyday people had it almost as hard. At least slaves got fed. The poor "free" person often didnt know where there next meal was coming from.

You make it sound like only a few slaves were brought over to serve an elite group of wealthy people.. we're talking thousands and thousands.. you seem to think they should be grateful to have been captured lol im sure they were eating fine in Africa mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
so you think slavery was ok then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't an issue that lights my fire.

As for whether I'm okay with it? I've no problems with the Vikings enslaving the English or the Romans enslaving each other. No problems with Whites enslaving blacks in the past. I don't apply 21st century morals to pre-21st century events.
Original post by Alfissti
I don't apply 21st century morals to pre-21st century events.

Very much so as we'd do what we had to so we could get by in those times.

I think a more specific question would be

"Would you have owned a slave if your 21st century self was transported back in time to a position of relative wealth and power?"

In truth ones 21st century self would have struggled to adapt to life in general some 250 years ago. For a start the people back then would have been suspicious of us because we'd talk funny.
Original post by MrMango
You make it sound like only a few slaves were brought over to serve an elite group of wealthy people.. we're talking thousands and thousands.. you seem to think they should be grateful to have been captured lol im sure they were eating fine in Africa mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, sure. :rolleyes:
I doubt I'd have owned a slave.
Reply 131
Original post by Alfissti
It isn't an issue that lights my fire.

As for whether I'm okay with it? I've no problems with the Vikings enslaving the English or the Romans enslaving each other. No problems with Whites enslaving blacks in the past. I don't apply 21st century morals to pre-21st century events.

You're not answering my question, do you think enslaving someome where now or 200 years ago was/is an ok thing to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Thats what I thought.. keep stom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Thats what I thought.. keep stom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha ha fat chance mango

tra li la la le la

no chance me keeping stum