The Student Room Group

Why should I work?

I live in a ex-council flat and below me are council tenants. They have been working in their garden for the past three weeks, 7 days a week on it. All day. Why do I work? There is no way I can afford to rent or buy my own place. I might as well get sacked. Claim benefits, get a council house. Then get another job and buy it at a discounted price. Society doesn’t work.
Ok do that. (If you fail does that mean society does work?)
Reply 2
Universal credit of £368/month and housing benefit would leave you in a better financial position?

Rather than looking enviously at your neighbours, why not aspire to get a decent job?
Ah, another 'benefits are too high, it is too easy to live off benefits!' post. We haven't had one of these for a while.

Put your money where your mouth is, OP. If you think it's easy then quit your job and live off benefits.
Original post by harrybrown101
I live in a ex-council flat and below me are council tenants. They have been working in their garden for the past three weeks, 7 days a week on it. All day. Why do I work? There is no way I can afford to rent or buy my own place. I might as well get sacked. Claim benefits, get a council house. Then get another job and buy it at a discounted price. Society doesn’t work.

Housing benefits are also the state paying off someone else's mortgage on their 2nd home.
Reply 5
Original post by Thislife100121
They have been working in their garden for the past three weeks, 7 days a week on it. All day.

They sound like pretty hard working guys Richard.

Like others have said, join them or get a real job like one in finance/banking - have you considered that? Job security is poor and AI might mean you end up on benefits away if you were to stop working for the government.
Reply 6
Original post by Thislife100121

Go for it. And with that you can enjoy all the trappings of poor mental and physical health brought on though having no purpose in life.

You can afford a house, you just need to earn more and if you want to earn more you need to gain more education and skills. You also need to be realistic bout what you can afford, understand that you will probably have to buy with someone else and might need to move areas to step onto the ladder.
Original post by hotpud
Go for it. And with that you can enjoy all the trappings of poor mental and physical health brought on though having no purpose in life.

Instead of being a wage slave? Oh the horror. :facepalm:
Reply 8
Original post by TheStupidMoon

I find having good job or, as you put it, being a wage slave to have far more benefits than not working.

Not only do I find my work satisfying but I have the disposable income to buy what I want or say take an impulsive weekend holiday away. It’s great. Life is good.

Of course, if you’d rather spend your days sitting around in your soiled underwear playing Call of Duty, go for it. Plenty of people take such a route.

Then they hit 30 and wonder why they are single, poor and still living with their parents.
Reply 9
Original post by TheStupidMoon

You don't have to be a wage slave. It is possible to do rewarding and worthwhile work whilst being paid.
Original post by Gazpacho.
Of course, if you’d rather spend your days sitting around in your soiled underwear playing Call of Duty, go for it. Plenty of people take such a route.

Thread starters complaining about coming off worse from working while others are getting the benefits without it ,not about people with dirty bums. For example would might have put your holiday money into savings instead and now would have enjoyed the banks devaluing it instead of a nice holiday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending