The Student Room Group

my boyfriend is never happy in any occasion

Like he is just never happy at all, whenever i tell him something good or to celebrate something he just ignores and makes my happy moments even worse. I had my convocation and I don’t have one single picture of me of that day because he continuously made me cry to the fullest at that time. Said my hard work was buttering faculty and getting marks as he couldn’t score the same range as me but at the same time he went to his little sister’s convocation and showed everyone that her hard work pulled off so well. I felt really bad and when I told him this he told me “you’re jealous of my sister.” Whereas I wasn’t jealous I just wanted my convocation to be all happy as well but why did he conveniently choose to hurt me but makes every happy moment for his sister much better?

Even when I received my first salary in hand, he was not happy. He told me “slavery money you got.” But I was just happy because that was my first earned money on my own. I always want him to be happy but he tells me that “he keeps my happiness a priority.” But he never makes me happy, whenever I am happy he conveniently finds a way to ruin it for me. Am I wrong to compare situations like this with his sister? Because my convocation was very important for me, it was my four years of hard work and in one sentence he flushed it down for me but why did he make everything better for his sister but not me? Because she’s her blood member, that’s why? And im not? But he tells me he loves me a lot then why did he do that? Why is he never happy with the little proud moments I have in my life. My parents still ask me for my picture of the convocation day and I don’t have one single picture because I was just crying & trying to stick around with him because he was sad about his marks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
Like he is just never happy at all, whenever i tell him something good or to celebrate something he just ignores and makes my happy moments even worse. I had my convocation and I don’t have one single picture of me of that day because he continuously made me cry to the fullest at that time. Said my hard work was buttering faculty and getting marks as he couldn’t score the same range as me but at the same time he went to his little sister’s convocation and showed everyone that her hard work pulled off so well. I felt really bad and when I told him this he told me “you’re jealous of my sister.” Whereas I wasn’t jealous I just wanted my convocation to be all happy as well but why did he conveniently choose to hurt me but makes every happy moment for his sister much better?

Even when I received my first salary in hand, he was not happy. He told me “slavery money you got.” But I was just happy because that was my first earned money on my own. I always want him to be happy but he tells me that “he keeps my happiness a priority.” But he never makes me happy, whenever I am happy he conveniently finds a way to ruin it for me. Am I wrong to compare situations like this with his sister? Because my convocation was very important for me, it was my four years of hard work and in one sentence he flushed it down for me but why did he make everything better for his sister but not me? Because she’s her blood member, that’s why? And im not? But he tells me he loves me a lot then why did he do that? Why is he never happy with the little proud moments I have in my life. My parents still ask me for my picture of the convocation day and I don’t have one single picture because I was just crying & trying to stick around with him because he was sad about his marks.

I'm really sorry :frown:
that situation isn't great, but maybe you should talk to him about it, if he can't understand, then he might not be the one for you??
I'd look for someone better.
Reply 3

Dump this guy right now. You would be better off on your own than attached to him.
Is he depressed? If he's always negative it could be his mental health is suffering.

Otherwise if this is his 'normal self', then yeah dumping may be the only alternative.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous928384
Is he depressed? If he's always negative it could be his mental health is suffering.

Otherwise if this is his 'normal self', then yeah dumping may be the only alternative.

Well yes for some period of time he was depressed as everyone looked down on him that he can’t do better and I understand all of it whatever he felt in that moment to everything. But then by time i realised he has surrounded himself with people (that is his gay bestie who is like in love with him since forever and his little sister) who just support him when he’s wrong, when he’s not discipline to many things. He wants validation in his wrongdoings which i am not a supporter of as i want best for him not worse. But it’s like he has been negative towards everything. He doesn’t hang with people his age or his childhood friends as they have matured by time and also makes him understand things in a better way. I don’t know at times I feel he understands a lot of things better, but at times I feel I need to get him out from all this to make him better. But I can’t, and I feel he doesn’t want to change.
Reply 6
Original post by strawberrygloss
I'm really sorry :frown:
that situation isn't great, but maybe you should talk to him about it, if he can't understand, then he might not be the one for you??

I did talk… it didn’t went well he thinks i am just jealous of his little sister and he just fails to see my pov. It’s tough because I really want him to understand what is hurting me. He agrees on face that he understands but whenever he fights with me later on he just in a bad tone tells me ‘you’re such a baby and you have problems in everything.’

get em out
I did talk… it didn’t went well he thinks i am just jealous of his little sister and he just fails to see my pov. It’s tough because I really want him to understand what is hurting me. He agrees on face that he understands but whenever he fights with me later on he just in a bad tone tells me ‘you’re such a baby and you have problems in everything.’

Sorry to hear... if he's flipping the situation around on you as YOU being the problem then that's being in denial and gaslighting. This sounds toxic, I echo what others have said about doing better. Some men (I am a man myself) can be so stuck in their ways, I've witnessed it a few times in my life, you don't need to put up with it so that you also suffer. You can do better
Another vote for dump him and crack on.

Seriously tho, are you ok.

you commit a great achievement in your life, where any normal person like a friend or fellow classmate would cheer, and tell you nice words. but he being someone you care about and he should too as you are partners, attacks you? this is bullying but 100x worse because he's insecure making up excuses to try and make himself feel good. just for insulting you, and I assume not trying to make things right would be an automatic dump. he is seriously toxic and gaslights you into all these things to make himself feel good.

he discredits you again with a massive achievement, which in many cultures across the world, is celebrated. with at least a good occasion. or at the bare minimum a well done or indifference. but attacking that achievement. with slave money, what does he do, sit around and get daddy money? i wonder if he has worked a slave job, that is exploitative. moving that remark aside. him telling you he loves you, without an apology is worse than a toxic boyfriend.

just dump him, get him out. if you want to make someone happy while ruining yours. maybe you should reconsider. as it affects your health and at least you can save time with someone normal and caring.

I think if someone was going out their way to repeatedly hurt me I'd dump them whether they were depressed or not. You'd certainly hope they got help or faced up to things and might even give support... but I don't think people should have to stay and act like punching bags for the sake of someone's (undiagnosed) mental health.
Original post by StriderHort
I think if someone was going out their way to repeatedly hurt me I'd dump them whether they were depressed or not. You'd certainly hope they got help or faced up to things and might even give support... but I don't think people should have to stay and act like punching bags for the sake of someone's (undiagnosed) mental health.

You're assuming he's been depressed over a long period when in fact, it wasn't clear if this was newly found mental health or over a long period when I asked OP at that moment in time.

People commonly lash out at others when they're not doing good mental wise. Doesn't mean they should be dumped right away if it's the start of it if they haven't had the chance to seek help. OP clarified that in their response to me it's a long term thing, in which I agree it's time to remove him as he's had his chance to make things better.
You're assuming he's been depressed over a long period when in fact, it wasn't clear if this was newly found mental health or over a long period when I asked OP at that moment in time.

People commonly lash out at others when they're not doing good mental wise. Doesn't mean they should be dumped right away if it's the start of it if they haven't had the chance to seek help. OP clarified that in their response to me it's a long term thing, in which I agree it's time to remove him as he's had his chance to make things better.

We're only talking of depression as a possibility remember, but yes from the tone of the OP I assumed it had been going on a while and this was confirmed. I agree you don't need to immediately let someone go for a one off bad day or comment, but if they are persistently negative in such hurtful ways I don't think they're really able to hold up their side of a romantic relationship and without change eventually they'll grind you down and leave you in a position unable to support them or yourself in any case, or you get to one of those 'If you leave me I'll hurt myself' ultimatums.

I've sadly lost not one but two friends who chose to take themselves permanently out of things after getting stuck in really vindictive relationships involving mental health that they just couldn't find a way to break out of, so I think I'll always strongly advocate for getting out of these situations or at least creating some emotional distance.
Yes, another vote for getting rid. Your partner should somene who cheers you on and celebrates your wins, not making snide comments.

Girlll leave him!!!
i assume your BF was the one who asked you out and hit on you
Reply 17
Original post by H8Courtship217
i assume your BF was the one who asked you out and hit on you

Yeah, he liked me for four years and then later on i took time because i was scared to jump into a relationship.
Reply 18
Original post by StriderHort
We're only talking of depression as a possibility remember, but yes from the tone of the OP I assumed it had been going on a while and this was confirmed. I agree you don't need to immediately let someone go for a one off bad day or comment, but if they are persistently negative in such hurtful ways I don't think they're really able to hold up their side of a romantic relationship and without change eventually they'll grind you down and leave you in a position unable to support them or yourself in any case, or you get to one of those 'If you leave me I'll hurt myself' ultimatums.

I've sadly lost not one but two friends who chose to take themselves permanently out of things after getting stuck in really vindictive relationships involving mental health that they just couldn't find a way to break out of, so I think I'll always strongly advocate for getting out of these situations or at least creating some emotional distance.

Okay but his little sister is doing her masters in clinical psychology, can this be true that she fails to see her brother’s reactions? As during her assignments/projects she used make me and her brother do it. And it feels like as if she’s reading us and later on started creating chaos between us.
Reply 19
Ditch the mardy arse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending