The Student Room Group

Can someone please mark this English Language Paper 1 Question 4

(from the June 2017 AQA paper)

Focus this part of your answer on the second part of the source, from line 19 to the end.
A student said, ‘This part of the story, set in the hat shop, shows that the red-haired girl has many advantages in life, and I think Rosabel is right to be angry.’
To what extent do you agree? In your response, you could:
consider your own impressions of the red-haired girl
evaluate how the writer conveys Rosabel’s reactions to the red-haired girl
support your response with references to the text.

It is undoubtedly clear that the statement that the student has made is true and agreeable and that Rosabel is right to be angry. From the onset of this second part of the source, the reader is aware of the change of mood in the text. "But there had been one other - a girl." This sudden switch in mood highlights the resentment that Rosabel had towards this mysterious 'other girl', and possibly foreshadows to the events which ad caused these feelings during her flashback, which would of course intrigue the reader too. Therefore, the writer conveys a negative reaction of Rosabel towards the girl, so much so that it establishes a dysphoric mood in the extract.

Moreover, the way that the red-haired girl treats Rosabel clearly justifies her anger towards her. "The girl glanced at Rosabel laughlingly. 'Have you any hats like that?" This rhetorical question is said in a contemptuous and sarcastic tone. It seems that she is attempting to make a clear division between herself and Rosabel as she arrogantly highlights her own substantial wealth. The adverb 'laughingly' perhaps shows how she is ridiculing Rosabel and amusing herself by saying that she is more well-off than her in life. Therefore, it is once again clear that Rosabel's anger towards the girl is justified since she appears to mock her for being disadvantaged and being of a lower wealth and social status.

Additionally, the red-haired girl almost treats Rosabel like a slave. "Let me see how it looks on you,' she said." The use of the imperative 'let me see' highlights how the girls demanding nature as she is in one way indirectly commanding Rosabel to try the hat on for her. Upon further inspecting it, she says "I must have that!" The use of the imperative 'must' in this exclamative once again highlights how she is showing off her advantaged lifestyle, so much so that it develops a 'sudden, feeling of anger' in Rosabel which 'seizes' her. It is therfore clear that Rosabel is perfectly right to have these adamant feelings of resentment towards the girl since she is practically treating Rosabel like a toy merely for her own amusement.
Reply 1
Original post by ryanjames3400
(from the June 2017 AQA paper)

Focus this part of your answer on the second part of the source, from line 19 to the end.
A student said, ‘This part of the story, set in the hat shop, shows that the red-haired girl has many advantages in life, and I think Rosabel is right to be angry.’
To what extent do you agree? In your response, you could:
consider your own impressions of the red-haired girl
evaluate how the writer conveys Rosabel’s reactions to the red-haired girl
support your response with references to the text.

It is undoubtedly clear that the statement that the student has made is true and agreeable and that Rosabel is right to be angry. From the onset of this second part of the source, the reader is aware of the change of mood in the text. "But there had been one other - a girl." This sudden switch in mood highlights the resentment that Rosabel had towards this mysterious 'other girl', and possibly foreshadows to the events which ad caused these feelings during her flashback, which would of course intrigue the reader too. Therefore, the writer conveys a negative reaction of Rosabel towards the girl, so much so that it establishes a dysphoric mood in the extract.

Moreover, the way that the red-haired girl treats Rosabel clearly justifies her anger towards her. "The girl glanced at Rosabel laughlingly. 'Have you any hats like that?" This rhetorical question is said in a contemptuous and sarcastic tone. It seems that she is attempting to make a clear division between herself and Rosabel as she arrogantly highlights her own substantial wealth. The adverb 'laughingly' perhaps shows how she is ridiculing Rosabel and amusing herself by saying that she is more well-off than her in life. Therefore, it is once again clear that Rosabel's anger towards the girl is justified since she appears to mock her for being disadvantaged and being of a lower wealth and social status.

Additionally, the red-haired girl almost treats Rosabel like a slave. "Let me see how it looks on you,' she said." The use of the imperative 'let me see' highlights how the girls demanding nature as she is in one way indirectly commanding Rosabel to try the hat on for her. Upon further inspecting it, she says "I must have that!" The use of the imperative 'must' in this exclamative once again highlights how she is showing off her advantaged lifestyle, so much so that it develops a 'sudden, feeling of anger' in Rosabel which 'seizes' her. It is therfore clear that Rosabel is perfectly right to have these adamant feelings of resentment towards the girl since she is practically treating Rosabel like a toy merely for her own amusement.

i would say this is a very high band 3, meaning at least 15 marks, you have showed clear perceptive understanding of the writers methods however in some areas there are band 4 work meaning, depnding on how leinent the examiner is you could get 15 or 16 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending