The Student Room Group

Medicine and volenteering

Hi,

I want to do medicine in future, and I am getting good marks overall, but as far as I am concerned I do not have any work experience, volunteering's or anything like that. My teachers has told me that I need a lot of volunteering to get into medicine as it is very competitive. Does anyone know what type volunteering I could do?? any websites? etc.... please help.. I am so much worried now... and also I do biology, chemistry, physics and Maths at A-levels and I am very short of time as well.. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks a lot,
Megan.
Original post by Megan_90
Hi,

I want to do medicine in future, and I am getting good marks overall, but as far as I am concerned I do not have any work experience, volunteering's or anything like that. My teachers has told me that I need a lot of volunteering to get into medicine as it is very competitive. Does anyone know what type volunteering I could do?? any websites? etc.... please help.. I am so much worried now... and also I do biology, chemistry, physics and Maths at A-levels and I am very short of time as well.. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks a lot,
Megan.

You should ideally volunteer in a hospital, but because this is often difficult to organise you can go to loads of other places that put you in a caring role and environment. You could volunteer at a school for the disable/children with learning difficulties, at a GPs (as long as it's not your own), a care home or nursing home. You could always do a sponsored walk or run eg the race for life; I know a medic applicant who's going to jump out of a helicopter in the summer, so there's always that! You could also take courses like sign language or first aid - while there is some cost to courses like these, they are life skills that really contribute to your CV and application in general.
Reply 3
Original post by whatacrydonnie
You should ideally volunteer in a hospital, but because this is often difficult to organise you can go to loads of other places that put you in a caring role and environment. You could volunteer at a school for the disable/children with learning difficulties, at a GPs (as long as it's not your own), a care home or nursing home. You could always do a sponsored walk or run eg the race for life; I know a medic applicant who's going to jump out of a helicopter in the summer, so there's always that! You could also take courses like sign language or first aid - while there is some cost to courses like these, they are life skills that really contribute to your CV and application in general.

Hi, thank you so much!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
If you're struggling like I did to get work experience at a hospital, make sure youre volunteering long term at a care home, pharmacy or kids nursery. Working as a waitress even helps, do as much extra curic things you can as long as you can relate it to medicine youll be fine!
Reply 5
Original post by lsbond
If you're struggling like I did to get work experience at a hospital, make sure youre volunteering long term at a care home, pharmacy or kids nursery. Working as a waitress even helps, do as much extra curic things you can as long as you can relate it to medicine youll be fine!

Hi, firstly thank you for replying :smile: , but what does it mean by long term volunteering??
Reply 6
Hi, firstly thank you for replying :smile: , but what does it mean by long term volunteering??

Basically, try and do it as soon as possible to show your committed to medicine, because its so competitive and such a long course they want to see that youre committed and have been for a while. So basically, I've been helping a year 7 class and going to a care home for close to a year now as my long term thing. Hope this helps! If you have any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lsbond
Basically, try and do it as soon as possible to show your committed to medicine, because its so competitive and such a long course they want to see that youre committed and have been for a while. So basically, I've been helping a year 7 class and going to a care home for close to a year now as my long term thing. Hope this helps! If you have any more questions just ask :smile:

Thank you soo much! :smile:
long term volunteering i.e. you need to start in year 12 if not before and continune with it beyond UCAS application ... otherwise it;s too little too late ...

bearing in mind you will be up against people who have been volunteering in positions of responsibility and accountability from 14 or so , you are going to have to amazingly out do these people in what your volunteering has added to your skills and/or understanding of what working as a healthcare professional is all about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi,

Thanks a lot,
Megan.
I`d suggest volunteering at a pharmacy, care home, anything related to looking after patients :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending