The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oschene23
Classic naivety. From a guy's perspective, they rarely befriend a random girl in a club for 'friendship' , there's 99% of the time an end goal - the majority of girls fail to understand this.

I'm talking exclusively of young, single males who regularly go clubbing when I say this to clarify.

How the **** do you make proper friends in a club anyway? Music is so bloody loud.

and yes this is the equivalent of a moronic meathead thinking every girls in da club wants to be his 'friend' just lol. The facility is practically designed for ONSes
I have often been reproached with the aridity of my genius; a deficiency of imagination has been imputed to me as a crime; and the Pyrrhonism of my opinions has at all times rendered me notorious. Indeed, a strong relish for physical philosophy has, I fear, tinctured my mind with a very common error of this age—I mean the habit of referring occurrences, even the least susceptible of such reference, to the principles of that science. Upon the whole, no person could be less liable than myself to be led away from the severe precincts of truth by the ignes fatui of superstition.
Do you think Dawkins is a bit weird tho' ?
Original post by Koizora1234
Wow I also study Law in first year and I don't even have enough time to do all of that. I am always busy with stress, I work, go gym and study. That is all I do.

Are you on top of your work, do you attend all lessons etc?

Yes I'm on top of my work and go to ... MOST seminars.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
How the **** do you make proper friends in a club anyway? Music is so bloody loud.

and yes this is the equivalent of a moronic meathead thinking every girls in da club wants to be his 'friend' just lol. The facility is practically designed for ONSes

Smoking area
Original post by soanonymous
Smoking area

Touche :tongue:

not every club has a smoking area mind

And I would.still contest it's the most platonic environment
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Lmao at everyone losing their **** at this "slut" who's done it with SIX WHOLE PEOPLE.

What is the world cumming to?

Well OP led us on by being melodramatic. Also she is being a wee obnoxious, going on about teachers not being hot enough and how she's actually a super clever Law undergrad who's going to be lording it over the 'bitter frustrated virgins' in years to come.

I still feel 6 people in 3 months of freshers is quite quick. About a lay every 2 weeks. For the most part this is just attention seeking with a slight 'all the single ladies put yo' hands up!' vibe and bait for the religious holier than thou folk.

Also- they see her punning, they hatin' :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Touche :tongue:

not every club has a smoking area mind

And I would.still contest it's the most platonic environment

Oh it is, I won't disagree with you on that. But I did meet one of my good friends at a club and all he did was take me home when I lost my friends and leave. And now we're like the best of friends. So you can't completely right off the fact that guys don't always go there looking for one thing.
Well OP led us on by being melodramatic. Also she is being a wee obnoxious, going on about teachers not being hot enough and how she's actually a super clever Law undergrad who's going to be lording it over the 'bitter frustrated virgins' in years to come.

I still feel 6 people in 3 months of freshers is quite quick. About a lay every 2 weeks. For the most part this is just attention seeking with a slight 'all the single ladies put yo' hands up!' vibe and bait for the religious holier than thou folk.

Also- they see her punning, they hatin' :tongue:

Just goes to show the level of moral outrage that accompanies the dreaded "S" word. Maybe her teachers aren't hot enough? Why do they have to be? I don't see why that's a controversial comment. Also, she is a Law student, maybe people find this annoying because they think people who have the audacity to sleep with who they want should also have the decency to be a bit thick.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Birkenhead
Geoking is a puritanical snob who feels he has the authority to judge people on their sex lives.

All I was ever doing was raising the issue of casual sex and its effects on emotional well-being according to research. I really don't understand what her problem is.

It's all cause and effect. Mental health problems often manifest themselves in reckless behaviour (sex, gambling, drinking, drugs).. That doesn't mean anyone who does those things, even to excess, is necessarily going to suffer implications on their otherwise healthy mental state. There are hundreds of other factors which could cause the onset of problems, maybe people who have gone through breakups and are already depressed are more likely to be promiscuous? The mere act of having sex on a casual basis does not, in itself, cause a decline in mental wellbeing without other factors coming into play.

Basically, I don't see why you want to convince people that casual sex is always a bad thing. I mean, I'm sure there are studies that say gay sex is a mental health problem but we all know it's not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh it is, I won't disagree with you on that. But I did meet one of my good friends at a club and all he did was take me home when I lost my friends and leave. And now we're like the best of friends. So you can't completely right off the fact that guys don't always go there looking for one thing.

I agree with this , I guess i'm only speaking for myself here but when I go out with my friends its to have a good time and cut some shapes , not with the intention of taking a drunken girl home . I was out on friday night and I actually turned down a girls offer of going home with her( after spending some time making out ) funnily enough .

I think its only the really desperate ones who do this , you will find more or less of this type depending on where you go.
Original post by Welsh Locs
I'm gonna try and counterpoint that ONS = Higher suicidal thoughts thing etc.

Do you guys remember Silver Lining's Playbook? Remember Tiffany and how she went off the rails because of depression? I think to directly say that its because of promiscuous sexual activities without emotion would be simply unfair. Think of all the cases where people are already established in feeling down, depressed and have low self-esteem and personal value and THEN use sex as a coping mechanism.

Stats can be interpreted to fit more than one result.

Eh, that can easily be explained. ONS is the consequence not the cause of depression mostly. You seek casual sex for happiness when depressed the same way you may seek food, alcohol or drugs. It's in some ways a more intense high due to oxytocin release as well as dopaminem

One would already be fairly liberal, shallow, hedonistic and anti-theist to engage in hookup culture. They are also more likely to be existentialist, emotionally self-reliant etc. which is a sensible coping mechanism to disillusionment of a material world governed by social Darwinism without belief in afterlife or a higher power nomsaiyan? Unless they are stuck in existential despair which is highly correlated with depression anyway, and so on.

Yup, NAMALT :tongue:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
It's all cause and effect. Mental health problems often manifest themselves in reckless behaviour (sex, gambling, drinking, drugs).. That doesn't mean anyone who does those things, even to excess, is necessarily going to suffer implications on their otherwise healthy mental state. There are hundreds of other factors which could cause the onset of problems, maybe people who have gone through breakups and are already depressed are more likely to be promiscuous? The mere act of having sex on a casual basis does not, in itself, cause a decline in mental wellbeing without other factors coming into play.

I'm afraid you're quite simply completely wrong. Go back and read my post more thoroughly, paying particular attention to the emboldened part of the second quote box:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2985977&page=6&p=51770817&highlight=#post51770817

Basically, I don't see why you want to convince people that casual sex is always a bad thing. I mean, I'm sure there are studies that say gay sex is a mental health problem but we all know it's now.

I will give you £10 through PayPal if you can find me a single, credible scientific study from the last thirty years which demonstrates that gay sex is a mental health problem.

I don't want to convince people that casual sex is always a bad thing. There is absolutely nothing in anything that I have written that fulfils a single part of that description. Again, all I can suggest is that you read posts more carefully (if you have read mine at all) before responding.
I'm afraid you're quite simply completely wrong. Go back and read my post more thoroughly, paying particular attention to the emboldened part of the second quote box:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2985977&page=6&p=51770817&highlight=#post51770817

I will give you £10 through PayPal if you can find me a single, credible scientific study from the last thirty years which demonstrates that gay sex is a mental health problem.

I don't want to convince people that casual sex is always a bad thing. There is absolutely nothing in anything that I have written that fulfils a single part of that description. Again, all I can suggest is that you read posts more carefully (if you have read mine at all) before responding.

I already read your post. One article that backed up your point in some way despite being flawed. Well done. You can Google search. Your opening post on this thread was suggesting that people who sleep around have no souls, or something equally as dramatic. Why does it even matter to you?! I don't understand. I really really hope next time you find yourself single and in need, every single girl you try it on with references that article and declines your advances for fear of her mental health. Is that what you'd prefer? Now go away and Google some more pseudo-science to back up your oppressive views.
(edited 9 years ago)
I already read your post. One article that backed up your point in some way despite being flawed.

What was flawed, and how was it flawed? You must get in the habit of explaining your points or they won't make any sense.

Well done. You can Google search.

Is the fact that I found my supportive evidence on Google supposed to negate from the credibility of the evidence or its supportiveness of my argument?

Your opening post on this thread was suggesting that people who sleep around have no souls, or something equally as dramatic.

Total nonsense. My opening post in this thread consisted of two questions. Neither of them suggested that people who sleep around 'have no souls', and even if they did, asking someone whether they agree with a certain viewpoint does not mean you hold that viewpoint yourself.

Why does it even matter to you?! I don't understand.

You have now askes this three times. Why does my engaging in debate matter to you? Why are you so aggravated by the slightest suggestion that there may be downsides to casual sex?

All that matters to me is stimulating discussion on a stimulating subject. Why are you so flustered by that?

I really really hope next time you find yourself single and in need, every single girl you try it on with references that article and declines your advances for fear of her mental health. Is that what you'd prefer?

What you are saying is that because I have shared scientific research findings concerning casual sex and mental health, you now hope I am rejected the next time I seek casual sex. Do you not see how ridiculous that is? You are oozing bitterness because some realities you find uncomfortable have been brought to your attention.

Now go away and Google some more pseudo-science to back up your oppressive views.

As I said, needlessly aggressive. Calm down: you're talking to a stranger on the internet.

I don't know how you could possibly view a study conducted by Ohio State university scientists, led by a doctor of science and making use of 10,000 participants as in any way 'pseuso-scientific'. You seem to be in denial of the scientific findings concerning the relationship between casual sex and mental illness.

I have not expressed and do not hold 'oppressive views'. As I have made clear to you numerous times, my contributions in this debate have not carried an ounce of judgement or preaching, and you continue to fail to provide examples of any occasions where they have. I have not expressed a view on casual sex, I have merely cited the findings of the scientific community concerning a particular area of the subject in response to those who have overlooked them.
What was flawed, and how was it flawed? You must get in the habit of explaining your points or they won't make any sense.

Is the fact that I found my supportive evidence on Google supposed to negate from the credibility of the evidence or its supportiveness of my argument?

Total nonsense. My opening post in this thread consisted of two questions. Neither of them suggested that people who sleep around 'have no souls', and even if they did, asking someone whether they agree with a certain viewpoint does not mean you hold that viewpoint yourself.

You have now askes this three times. Why does my engaging in debate matter to you? Why are you so aggravated by the slightest suggestion that there may be downsides to casual sex?

All that matters to me is stimulating discussion on a stimulating subject. Why are you so flustered by that?

What you are saying is that because I have shared scientific research findings concerning casual sex and mental health, you now hope I am rejected the next time I seek casual sex. Do you not see how ridiculous that is? You are oozing bitterness because some realities you find uncomfortable have been brought to your attention.

As I said, needlessly aggressive. Calm down: you're talking to a stranger on the internet.

I don't know how you could possibly view a study conducted by Ohio State university scientists, led by a doctor of science and making use of 10,000 participants as in any way 'pseuso-scientific'. You seem to be in denial of the scientific findings concerning the relationship between casual sex and mental illness.

I have not expressed and do not hold 'oppressive views'. As I have made clear to you numerous times, my contributions in this debate have not carried an ounce of judgement or preaching, and you continue to fail to provide examples of any occasions where they have. I have not expressed a view on casual sex, I have merely cited the findings of the scientific community concerning a particular area of the subject in response to those who have overlooked them.

I don't have the energy or desire to argue about such a menial matter with a boy who was probably still in primary school when I was doing my dissertation.
I don't have the energy or desire to argue about such a menial matter with a boy who was probably still in primary school when I was doing my dissertation.

Having failed to properly engage with a single aspect of my argument, you are now attempting to discredit me personally because I am younger than you.

It is actually quite terrifying that someone with such dreadful reasoning and debating skills and such emotional immaturity is not only older than me but has been at a stage of higher education where they were required to write a dissertation.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Just goes to show the level of moral outrage that accompanies the dreaded "S" word. Maybe her teachers aren't hot enough? Why do they have to be? I don't see why that's a controversial comment. Also, she is a Law student, maybe people find this annoying because they think people who have the audacity to sleep with who they want should also have the decency to be a bit thick.

Not saying they do, nor that it's a bad thing, more objecting to the way OP is a bit stuck-up about being a Law grad. I'm sensing (she even joked about it) that she thinks anyone who hasn't picked her route through life is a 'bitter frustrated virgin'. And imo she has an incredibly clever yet emotionally detached way of getting the best of life which just goes to show this naive little choir boy doesn't understand the real world.

There really is a lot of snobbery both ways, being neoliberal/post-modern or old-fashioned/traditional in values on this thread and this forum as a whole. Quite fascinating really :smile:
okay not a slut, but I've slept with people etc more than I would have if I was at home

You should read the book 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. You would learn a lot and perhaps reevaluate your current lifestyle. I'm not judging you, but I'd never ever sleep around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
Well, what is the purpose of playing squash? To have fun. That's it. Am I doing anything wrong to my competitors if I want to play a game of squash with them and I'm not really fussed about getting to know them? Am I "objectifying" them?

Incidentally, what do you think is intrinsically better (in a moral sense) about "getting to know" someone only rather than sleeping with them only?

Why are you equating one night stand's with "throwing away" personality and character?

But why is it degrading? Of course I am more than my cock, but using my cock casually doesn't take away from that.

Whether you want to define one night stand's that way or not, the fact is that not all one night stands are like that. But even if they are, why does that matter to to you? Just don't have a one night stand.

I'm not disputing that casual sex is associated with mental health issues. Thing is, there are plenty of other things that are associated with detrimental effects to mental health and people don't seem to feel the need to make a fuss about these things being degrading or demeaning or immoral. If I want to take part in an activity that I know has a chance of increasing mental health problems, is that really any of your business?

Are you really comparing playing competitive sports to having sex? That's deluded.

Here's a question for you. What's more intimate than sleeping with your partner? Nothing. Would you have sex in front of your parents? No? But you'd play squash in front of them right?

A ONS is meant for quick physical gratification. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't see why this is objectification, look it up because it ticks most of the boxes.

It's degrading because it's animalistic. You're not an animal and not designed to **** like one either.

It doesn't matter to me, but that is entirely irrelevant. I'm just calling people out on it, just as I would call an overweight person out on comfort eating. It shows weak character and a lack of foresight so I'm going to say it as it is.

"If I want to take part in an activity that I know has a chance of increasing mental health problems, is that really any of your business?"
Hahahaha, that's pathetic. It is my business because I have to share this country which such people who are emotionally immature. I don't want to live in a society where the NHS has to fund peoples anti-depressants because they never found a way to deal with life, thinking that ****ing and drinking were the solutions. If someone is voluntarily pathetic, yet calls their actions acceptable, I'm going to argue the point, just as this user tried claiming being a slut was fine and promptly vanished after everyone reminded her it isn't.

Latest