The Student Room Group

I do a Linguistics degree, AMA!

Hey everyone! :h:
I am a current 1st year student at the University of York studying a degree in English literature/ Linguistics. English is already being covered by @octo and other fantastic contributors (check out their thread here) but I am more than happy to answer questions about linguistics or my combined degree!
AMA :heart:
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Schwa meme.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)
I've been considering applying to York for linguistics, what's your favourite thing about the course? Also, what books what you recommend reading for linguistics, as nothing is really covered in school?
Original post by lovelylemon
I've been considering applying to York for linguistics, what's your favourite thing about the course? Also, what books what you recommend reading for linguistics, as nothing is really covered in school?

I really enjoy doing phonetics and phonology! Learning about how speech is created and interpreted is super interesting to me and the staff have been so facilitating in letting me carry out research projects as part of a scholarship I am doing(if you are looking into York I heavily recommend checking out the Laidlaw Scholarship)!
As for book suggestions, it really depends if you want to focus on a specific area of linguistics or something more general! It is such a broad subject that it is hard to cover everything :laugh:. That being said...
Eats Shoots and Leaves is a hysterical approach to grammar that I highly commend! Just a warning that it is quite vulgar :shakecane:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by barror1
I really enjoy doing phonetics and phonology! Learning about how speech is created and interpreted is super interesting to me and the staff have been so facilitating in letting me carry out research projects as part of a scholarship I am doing(if you are looking into York I heavily recommend checking out the Laidlaw Scholarship)!
As for book suggestions, it really depends if you want to focus on a specific area of linguistics or something more general! It is such a broad subject that it is hard to cover everything :laugh:. That being said...
Eats Shoots and Leaves is a hysterical approach to grammar that I highly commend! Just a warning that it is quite vulgar :shakecane:

Thank you! Phonology and phonetics sound really interesting, and I'll definitely have a look at the scholarship. Eats Shoots and Leaves sounds good, I'll check it out - and bear your warning in mind :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
Hey everyone! :h:
I am a current 1st year student at the University of York studying a degree in English literature/ Linguistics. English is already being covered by @octo and other fantastic contributors (check out their thread here) but I am more than happy to answer questions about linguistics or my combined degree!
AMA :heart:
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Schwa meme.jpg

hey i actually got an offer recently for linguistics at york (my top choice atm)! im guessing you have probably graduated now?! - but how did you find the experience? :smile: @barror1
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending