The Student Room Group

I got bad grades and I am now working in Cyber Security in Abu Dhabi AMA

As the title says- through school, college and even uni my grades were bad/ average at most.

Ask me anything!

:smile:
why do people who create 'ama' threads automatically assume people actually care?

man good for u if got a good job..no need to show off. - if anyone actually wanted to ask a question, they would just ask, not wait for someone to create a 'AMA' thread so they could ask their question...
Do you feel you could have gotten to your position without a degree?

How bad are those ‘bad grades?’
Original post by money-for-all
why do people who create 'ama' threads automatically assume people actually care?

man good for u if got a good job..no need to show off. - if anyone actually wanted to ask a question, they would just ask, not wait for someone to create a 'AMA' thread so they could ask their question...

The purpose of these threads is so that people who see it and are interested in it can ask questions, and those who aren't can simply ignore them. Them creating this thread doesn't mean they think everyone will be interested, that's just ridiculous.

Also, how are they showing off? They're openly admitting that their grades weren't very good. It can be helpful to those who aren't doing so great academically to know that there is still hope out there.
Original post by money-for-all

hey! I’m sorry I should’ve given more context.

So the reason I created this thread was because throughout school and even my parents used to tell me that good grades were everything. I was told that because my grades weren’t good I wouldn’t get anywhere in life. And it took me until 25 years old to get my dream job.

Apologies as I should’ve given context. This is definitely not a show off thread in fact it’s a thread to give hope to students thinking good grades are everything.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Do you feel you could have gotten to your position without a degree?

How bad are those ‘bad grades?’

No- so in the UAE degrees are highly valued so my degree came into use. But they didn’t care about what I got in my degree/ college/ school.

My grades were mainly C’s so I did pass most things but just about. I failed like one or two exams with an E.
Original post by Labradoodle1
The purpose of these threads is so that people who see it and are interested in it can ask questions, and those who aren't can simply ignore them. Them creating this thread doesn't mean they think everyone will be interested, that's just ridiculous.

Also, how are they showing off? They're openly admitting that their grades weren't very good. It can be helpful to those who aren't doing so great academically to know that there is still hope out there.

Thank you for understanding. I want to give hope to students thinking because they did badly they can’t get a good job.

Not a show off thread at all so again apologies to anyone who thought it was. I want to help!
Original post by gabriellakhan
No- so in the UAE degrees are highly valued so my degree came into use. But they didn’t care about what I got in my degree/ college/ school.

My grades were mainly C’s so I did pass most things but just about. I failed like one or two exams with an E.

What grade did you get in your degree?
What grade did you get in your degree?

I got a 2:1 so did well in my degree- but it wasn’t from a russel group or a well known university. Plus they hired me before they found out what result I got in my degree. So they would have hired me even if I just passed it. :biggrin:
As the title says- through school, college and even uni my grades were bad/ average at most.

Ask me anything!

Do you plan on working in AD for the foreseeable future, or do you want to return to the UK?
I got a 2:1 so did well in my degree- but it wasn’t from a russel group or a well known university. Plus they hired me before they found out what result I got in my degree. So they would have hired me even if I just passed it. :biggrin:

A 2:1 certainly isn't bad and to be honest the Cs and Es aren't bad either. I was expecting you to say you gained a job in the UAE with mainly Ds Es and Us and a 3rd in your degree. That would be impressive and honestly, I am disappointed and my day is ruined.
Original post by Reality Check
Do you plan on working in AD for the foreseeable future, or do you want to return to the UK?

I am currently living in Dubai but work in AD.

I prefer living here as I prefer the weather. The lifestyle here is better too and salaries are tax free.

Plus it’s very safe for women- I can walk around at night alone without fear and I always leave my apartment door open/ can leave my laptop and wallet on a table and cafe and when i come back it will still be there.

That’s not to say it’s perfect here. But the positives for me outweigh any negatives. So I would like to stay here long term.
(edited 1 year ago)
A 2:1 certainly isn't bad and to be honest the Cs and Es aren't bad either. I was expecting you to say you gained a job in the UAE with mainly Ds Es and Us and a 3rd in your degree. That would be impressive and honestly, I am disappointed and my day is ruined.

Really?

I think for TSR standards it’s bad though
:biggrin:
Really?

TSR is not the real world. By real world standards it's pretty average.
Really?

TSR standards are absurd ngl, I personally don't think you've done bad at all :smile:
What were you working in in-between graduation and getting this job? What was the application process like and why did you pick working abroad?
Reply 17

LOL so you did do well in your degree. What a fallacious title
Original post by oisinvg
LOL so you did do well in your degree. What a fallacious title

They were most likely referring to grades from gcse/a level in the title
Hi I’m interested in ur story what qualifications did u do I wana go the same in dubai cyber security I’m doing. Alevels I’m some business eco and geo what should I think abt to do after a level I was thinking to do apprenticeship degree

Ask me anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending