The Student Room Group

volumes of pipes

can anyone explain how to get the correct answer on these questions?

on the first one this is the working out

OK so i did 20 Litres equals 20000cm cubed. then i did the 12.5/2 to get the radius, i squared the answer and then divided 2000 by it. i got 162.97..... then converted it into meters
as for the last one i received help on here

and as for the second one i received help but they were not sure
For the first one, remember that it's just a half pipe. So the area is actually only half of the area of the entire circle.

For the second one, what's your working?
Reply 2
i didnt have any someone said that they thought it was 4????
i dont understand how they got that though and i dont know how to get 6.9
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
For the first one, remember that it's just a half pipe. So the area is actually only half of the area of the entire circle.

For the second one, what's your working?

any ideas?
Original post by JJ Downey
i didnt have any someone said that they thought it was 4????
i dont understand how they got that though and i dont know how to get 6.9

What were your steps?
Reply 5
What were your steps?

someone told me this
clearly the answer is just 4

The height is the same so the radius must also be the same
someone told me this

Okay well that's just nonsense. Ignoring what that person said, how do you actually think you might go about answering this question? To clarify what it's asking, the cylinder on the left is filled with water. That water is tipped into the bigger cylinder on the right. To what height does the water reach?
Reply 7
Okay well that's just nonsense. Ignoring what that person said, how do you actually think you might go about answering this question? To clarify what it's asking, the cylinder on the left is filled with water. That water is tipped into the bigger cylinder on the right. To what height does the water reach?

i believe the water reaches 5cm yes?
i believe the water reaches 5cm yes?

What? Clearly not since MyMaths is giving you the right answer. In order to work out the height of water in the big cylinder, you firstly need to work out the volume of water in the small cylinder.
Reply 9
What? Clearly not since MyMaths is giving you the right answer. In order to work out the height of water in the big cylinder, you firstly need to work out the volume of water in the small cylinder.

no i mean the water reaches 5cm up in the large cylinder as it states.
Reply 10
the volume of the small cylinder is 753.98223686155037723103441198708 correct?
the volume of the small cylinder is 753.98223686155037723103441198708 correct?

Yes, what's the next step?
Reply 12
Yes, what's the next step?

im not too sure, work out the larger cylinder?
im not too sure, work out the larger cylinder?

The volume of water in the large cylinder is equal to the volume of water in the small cylinder. You can therefore create an expression for the volume in terms of r (as the height is known), make that equal to the volume of water and solve for r.
Reply 14
ok so it would be

753.98223686155037723103441198708 / pi / height ((((HOW DO WE KNOW THE HEIGHT?????)))) then square root?
Reply 15
would it be 5cm ??????????/
Reply 16
i did it thank you sooooo much :smile: youre a life saver :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest