The Student Room Group

gcse french writing

Can someone good at French please check if these sentences make grammatical sense?

1. Par exemple, l'année dernière je travaillé dans un restaurant comme un serveur. De cette expérience, j’ai acquis vaste connaissance quelque le fonctionnement d’un restaurant.

Translation: For example, last year I worked in a restaurant as a waiter. From this experience, I have gained an extensive knowledge about the running of a restaurant

2. J’ai l’impression que vous ne seriez pas déçu de votre décision de m’embaucher.

Translation: I believe that you would not be disappointed with your decision to hire me.

3. Au cours de la semaine j’aidais des enfants avec Anglais et mathématiques.

Translation: During the week I helped the children with English and Maths.
Original post by Anrcf2
Can someone good at French please check if these sentences make grammatical sense?

1. Par exemple, l'année dernière j'ai travaillé dans un restaurant comme un serveur. De cette expérience, j’ai acquis une vaste connaissance sur le fonctionnement d’un restaurant.

Translation: For example, last year I worked in a restaurant as a waiter. From this experience, I have gained an extensive knowledge about the running of a restaurant

2. J’ai l’impression que vous ne seriez pas déçu de votre décision de m’embaucher.

Translation: I believe that you would not be disappointed with your decision to hire me.

3. Au cours de la semaine j’aidais des enfants avec
l'Anglais et les mathématiques.

This is what I would change, but I encourage someone else to take a look too.
Reply 2
Original post by Claros

Thank you, I will do.
Original post by Claros

I agree with your corrections, but for number 1 would it not be 'une vaste connaissance DU foctionnement d'un restaurant' as sur is very literal.
Also, I think it is just 'comme serveur' rather than 'comme un serveur' (we were always taught it as jobs being naked - I.e without un/une before them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
I agree with your corrections, but for number 1 would it not be 'une vaste connaissance DU foctionnement d'un restaurant' as sur is very literal.
Also, I think it is just 'comme serveur' rather than 'comme un serveur' (we were always taught it as jobs being naked - I.e without un/une before them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose you could use 'du', however I don't think using 'sur' is incorrect either. 'Sur' is equivalent to 'au sujet de' or 'à propos de', so either one can work.

With professions, you do not use an article between être and a profession, so if they wanted to say 'I am a waiter' they would say 'je suis serveur'. However in this case an article is needed Ignore this.

Edit: Seems I'm wrong about the article, according to the person below me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anrcf2

1. Par exemple, l'année dernière j'ai travaillé dans un restaurant comme un serveur. De cette expérience, j’ai acquis une vaste connaissance sur quelque le fonctionnement d’un restaurant.

2. J’ai l’impression Je pense que vous ne seriez pas déçu si vous m'embauchez de votre décision de m’embaucher.

3. Au cours de la semaine j’aidais des enfants avec Anglais et mathématiques.
Cette semaine, j'ai aidé des des enfants en Anglais et en mathématiques.
Recent event, so composed past, not imperfect.

:wink:
Original post by Claros
I suppose you could use 'du', however I don't think using 'sur' is incorrect either. 'Sur' is equivalent to 'au sujet de' or 'à propos de', so either one can work.

With professions, you do not use an article between être and a profession, so if they wanted to say 'I am a waiter' they would say 'je suis serveur'. However in this case an article is needed.

Ah ok :smile: my bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897

I'm not sure about the article in front of the profession now, as someone else has also removed it and they seem to be fluent. This was just something I had read on French about (I'm in A2 now so I've forgotten about the rules with professions).

Ok, I was wrong about that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Claros
I'm not sure about the article in front of the profession now, as someone else has also removed it and they seem to be fluent. This was just something I had read on French about (I'm in A2 now so I've forgotten about the rules with professions).

You can use an article or not
Je suis un serveur dans un restaurant. A bit redundant, therefore I removed the article.
Je suis serveur
dans un restaurant.
Both are correct.

Je travaille comme serveur dans un restaurant. It's the only possibility. Unless you want to make a comparaison, then you can add an article.
I worked as a waiter= j'ai travaillé comme serveur
I worked like a waiter= J'ai travaillé comme un serveur (meaning the position wasn't official, but actually this is what he did).
Original post by Josb
You can use an article or not
Je suis un serveur dans un restaurant. A bit redundant, therefore I removed the article.
Je suis serveur
dans un restaurant.
Both are correct.

Je travaille comme serveur dans un restaurant. It's the only possibility. Unless you want to make a comparaison, then you can add an article.
I worked as a waiter= j'ai travaillé comme serveur
I worked like a waiter= J'ai travaillé comme un serveur (meaning the position wasn't official, but actually this is what he did).

That makes sense, thank you.
for number three english and maths need an article
but apart from that good french:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending