The Student Room Group

Computer science / information security

Hi guys,

my my dream is to work in the information security field. I have started applying for unis to study undergrad computer science and was wonder would this get me into the field? Or would i need to study a computer science course that specifies in information security like rhul computer science (information security) course or would any computer science degree work?

any help would be great thanks
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump
It would easily get you into that field. CompSci covers pretty much everything relating to computers.
Reply 4
The route into info sec, cyber or digital forensics can be made through a straight comp sci course, I personally am interested in this field and have applied to that Rhul course, as I feel it would be better to focus my studies in the direction I want to go.

most info sec type jobs tend to require previous experience or qualifications, stuff like comptia sec+, ec council courses etc.

This tends to be more of a job you work your way up into, but there are other routes directly into it, gchq, mi5 tech grad scheme etc

So, what I would advise is apply to cs courses, where third year modules include stuff like security, cryptography etc
Reply 5
Original post by tim_123
The route into info sec, cyber or digital forensics can be made through a straight comp sci course, I personally am interested in this field and have applied to that Rhul course, as I feel it would be better to focus my studies in the direction I want to go.

most info sec type jobs tend to require previous experience or qualifications, stuff like comptia sec+, ec council courses etc.

This tends to be more of a job you work your way up into, but there are other routes directly into it, gchq, mi5 tech grad scheme etc

So, what I would advise is apply to cs courses, where third year modules include stuff like security, cryptography etc

Hmm city university London only has IT security in their third year would that do..?
Reply 6
Original post by Shueb95
Hmm city university London only has IT security in their third year would that do..?

Sorry I'm not sure, it security is quite a broad area so who knows what they mean.

Rhuls info sec course for example, if we look at the third year options, we see things like cryptography and malware analysis. Bear in mind (but don't quote me on this), the people who teach the masters in cyber security at Rhul have recently helped gchq develop a standardisation of what other unis must offer when providing a cyber security qualification, so they are obviously well respected in this field.... For more info Google something like gchq cyber security ceritification...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending