The Student Room Group

What Computer Science course in DMU is like

Hey everyone!

Every year thousands of students are applying for Computer Science courses to different universities all around the UK. I have decided to try to help potential students to get understanding what Computer Science course is like, and hopefully it may help them to make a decision.

As a DMU student, I am obviously discussing my experience from De Montfort University:colondollar:, but I do encourage everyone to leave their stories and experiences under. Let’s create a thread that may be super useful for potential Computer Science students :smile:

As a Cyber Security student at De Montfort University, I've heard from my friends that studying Computer Science at DMU is a great way to learn about modern computing technologies and prepare for a career in the field. From what I've heard, the course focuses on modern approaches to software development, covering everything from programming language concepts to computer networks and web security.

One of the things that makes DMU's Computer Science course unique is its diverse curriculum. Students get both theoretical and practical experience, and the course covers important professional issues like computer ethics and law. It also offers optional third-year modules, so students can tailor their learning to their individual interests and career goals.

We all have access to computer workstations and computing laboratories with PCs running Windows/Linux. The Kimberlin Library on campus is a great place to study, with computer stations, laptops, and a huge variety of print materials available. The library staff are always willing to help students with research, writing, and reference management.

Our Computer Science course also uses "Block teaching", which means students can focus on one subject at a time and get faster feedback. The year is divided into 4 blocks. Each block is 7 weeks. Students have small sets of exams after each block rather than one huge set of exams at the end of the year. It removes so much stress from my life.:biggrin: This helps create a better study-life balance.

A lot of my friends are doing placements all over the UK. However, we know that our graduates often work for a variety of companies, including HSBC Bank, Sainsbury's, and many more. The course also includes an international experience program called #DMUglobal, which gives students the opportunity to study abroad and gain a global perspective.

Overall, taking in consideration everything I hear from my fellow students about studying Computer Science, I can conclude that it is a great way to prepare for a career in the field. With a focus on both theory and practice, a wide variety of optional modules, and a team of experienced professionals, DMU's Computer Science course is the perfect opportunity to launch a career in a growing industry.

As I already mentioned, I really want you to leave your own thoughts, stories and experiences of studying computer science in the comments below :danceboy:

Take care,

- Ilya :wink:
Reply 1
Hi. Do you have any information about the Computer networks and Security bsc?

Info about the modules, timetable etc would be appreciated.
Original post by aka47
Hi. Do you have any information about the Computer networks and Security bsc?
Info about the modules, timetable etc would be appreciated.

Hi there @aka47 - it's great to hear that you are interested in our Computer Networks and Security BSc (Hons) (dmu.ac.uk) programme! 🥳

This programme is within the same faculty, of Computing, Engineering, and Media (CEM) and there is a full description of the modules offered on this three year course linked here for you to browse! 💻️

Within the above Module descriptions, linked, there is also information on the number of hours for each module you will complete within our Block teaching (dmu.ac.uk) as part of our Education 2030 initiative🤓

Timetables are not released until all students for that intake have completed enrollment and teaching resources have been allocated and finalised. However, as a rough guide the above link on module details, as well as our Academic Calendar might help to give an overview of when you might attend DMU for study. 😁

The programme will use a combination of lectures, seminars and interactive large group discussions to transfer many of the major topics. Laboratory tutorials will provide the students with the opportunity to practice and develop skills and techniques under guidance and obtain feedback for each of the defined blocks. Each programme may have a slighlty different timetable but usually sessions run within the timeframe of Monday-Friday, 09:00AM-18:00PM👾

I hope this helps! Please do let us know if you have any further queries or if we can clarify anything!

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending