The Student Room Group

MSc Cyber Security: USW vs. UHerts?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a difficult time deciding between two universities for my master's degree in cyber security: the University of South Wales and the University of Hertfordshire. I'm hoping to get some insights from current students or alumni who might have experience with either program.

I'm particularly interested in the following aspects:

Course curriculum
Faculty expertise
Industry connections: Does either program offer strong industry connections for potential internships or work placements?
Student experience: What is the overall atmosphere and support system like at each university?

I've already reviewed the program information on both university websites, but I would appreciate any additional information or personal experiences you could share.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Original post by d4rk_w1z4rd
Hi everyone,

I'm having a difficult time deciding between two universities for my master's degree in cyber security: the University of South Wales and the University of Hertfordshire. I'm hoping to get some insights from current students or alumni who might have experience with either program.

I'm particularly interested in the following aspects:

Course curriculum
Faculty expertise
Industry connections: Does either program offer strong industry connections for potential internships or work placements?
Student experience: What is the overall atmosphere and support system like at each university?

I've already reviewed the program information on both university websites, but I would appreciate any additional information or personal experiences you could share.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Hello @d4rk_w1z4rd
As a computer science student at Hertfordshire University, the cybersecurity curriculum includes exams and assignments to build a solid foundation. Lectures, tutorials, and practice tasks cover everything from fundamentals to advanced topics. The university actively facilitates placement and job opportunities through job and internship fairs, with a network of alumni in various companies. Campus life at Herts is vibrant and welcoming, fostering personal and professional growth. Students can engage in a range of social, cultural, and recreational activities through numerous student organizations, societies, events, and workshops.
Hope this helps please let me know if you have any more questions.
Original post by Herts PG Student
Hello @d4rk_w1z4rd
As a computer science student at Hertfordshire University, the cybersecurity curriculum includes exams and assignments to build a solid foundation. Lectures, tutorials, and practice tasks cover everything from fundamentals to advanced topics. The university actively facilitates placement and job opportunities through job and internship fairs, with a network of alumni in various companies. Campus life at Herts is vibrant and welcoming, fostering personal and professional growth. Students can engage in a range of social, cultural, and recreational activities through numerous student organizations, societies, events, and workshops.
Hope this helps please let me know if you have any more questions.
Hi @d4rk_w1z4rd,

Just to add to what our PG Official Rep has said, I wanted to highlight the faculty expertise and industry connections at Herts:

We're ranked 2nd overall and 3rd for computer science in the UK in the latest Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023), reflecting the quality and experience of our provision

90% of our computer science research is ranked as world-leading in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF, 2021)

You have an optional one-year industry placement on the Cyber Security course, giving you invaluable experience and connections to boost your career path

You would learn in our brand new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science (aka Spectra), opening later this year - this incredible facility will provide experiential learning as well as high tech computer labs and more

Have you been to any of our postgrad open events? We run these online and the next one is coming up in March - this would be a great way for you to talk directly to the course leader and find out more: you can book here.

Hope this helps but please let me know if you have any specific questions.

All the best,
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending