The Student Room Group

struggling in maths

im doing really bad in maths.I've tried my hardest but its not helping.Will dropping the subjects hurt my chances at uni.uni. Ive taken so far maths phyc geography and business.
Thanks
Reply 1
Just keep doing past papers, practice is the key in maths. You will see a great improvement even after just a few papers. Remember to learn from your mistakes though:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you wanna do at uni? Will you pick up another AS instead?
Mindless practice isn't that efficient; practising when you understand is a lot better
Original post by JWOK
im doing really bad in maths.I've tried my hardest but its not helping.Will dropping the subjects hurt my chances at uni.uni. Ive taken so far maths phyc geography and business.
Thanks

Maths is a respected subject but it depends what you want to study at uni
I don't want to be that guy that tells you it's okay to drop it now and forget about it, since the best thing to do would be at least try and do your best and persevere with it.

But, having said that, I did AS Maths (MEI) last year and absolutely hated it from the get-go, and tried to drop it in mid-October. My college wouldn't let me and I had to just keep going to lessons and doing work (albeit very poorly) etc. Exams came around, I sat them. I asked my teacher if it was okay not to turn up to any more lessons (since it was starting A2 work) and he said it was fine due to how difficult I'd been finding it throughout the year.

Results day came around, got a U (U in C1, U in C2, U in D1) and nobody has ever mentioned it since. I've applied to do Sociology at uni and received offers from all 5 universities. So in the long run as long as you don't plan on doing anything Maths related at uni then it won't matter in the slightest if you drop it. Although don't expect your centre to be that lenient when it comes to dropping it, they'll most likely say no since it's too late to pick up another AS.
Reply 6
its not even that i was never good at maths thought i would be able to cope but i have no interest for the subject i don't want to struggle the whole year then end up with a bad grade.Im pretty sure my sixth form will allow to drop.Was planning on studying accountancy but dropping the subject probably hurt my chances but il think of looking at a different career if it solely relies on a level maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got an A* in gcse and got a U in AS (my worst regret tbh)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pizzanomics
I don't want to be that guy that tells you it's okay to drop it now and forget about it, since the best thing to do would be at least try and do your best and persevere with it.

But, having said that, I did AS Maths (MEI) last year and absolutely hated it from the get-go, and tried to drop it in mid-October. My college wouldn't let me and I had to just keep going to lessons and doing work (albeit very poorly) etc. Exams came around, I sat them. I asked my teacher if it was okay not to turn up to any more lessons (since it was starting A2 work) and he said it was fine due to how difficult I'd been finding it throughout the year.

Results day came around, got a U (U in C1, U in C2, U in D1) and nobody has ever mentioned it since. I've applied to do Sociology at uni and received offers from all 5 universities. So in the long run as long as you don't plan on doing anything Maths related at uni then it won't matter in the slightest if you drop it. Although don't expect your centre to be that lenient when it comes to dropping it, they'll most likely say no since it's too late to pick up another AS.

This was me last year, did maths because it looked sparkly on my ucas or something and pressure from my mum. I was struggling all year with it ugh and j was forced to stay in the summer to complete the MEI C3 coursework sigh sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JWOK
its not even that i was never good at maths thought i would be able to cope but i have no interest for the subject i don't want to struggle the whole year then end up with a bad grade.Im pretty sure my sixth form will allow to drop.Was planning on studying accountancy but dropping the subject probably hurt my chances but il think of looking at a different career if it solely relies on a level maths.

It was the same with me, I got an A at GCSE with next to no effort, so even though I'm not too keen on maths I felt like I should take it because I'm good at it. Oh how wrong was I. You definitely need to have a passion for the subject, or be a tiny bit interested at the very least to do well at it.

Original post by radicalboujie
This was me last year, did maths because it looked sparkly on my ucas or something and pressure from my mum. I was struggling all year with it ugh and j was forced to stay in the summer to complete the MEI C3 coursework sigh sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's unlucky! I'm glad I got out when I could. :wink:
It was so refreshing watching all my friends moan about the C3 coursework, whilst I had 3 extra free periods a week for the last few weeks before summer. :biggrin:
Original post by pizzanomics
It was the same with me, I got an A at GCSE with next to no effort, so even though I'm not too keen on maths I felt like I should take it because I'm good at it. Oh how wrong was I. You definitely need to have a passion for the subject, or be a tiny bit interested at the very least to do well at it.

That's unlucky! I'm glad I got out when I could. :wink:
It was so refreshing watching all my friends moan about the C3 coursework, whilst I had 3 extra free periods a week for the last few weeks before summer. :biggrin:

*cries* I neve actually handed in the CW lol. I was sorta mad at myself because I did really well in gcse and enjoyed maths didn't know I would be struggling so hard and be the worst in the class

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest