The Student Room Group

gcses

HELP i am seriously struggling with maths gcse like SERIOUSLY and the gcse exams are coming up. I have just over a month. Any tips ?
What are you struggling with?
Reply 2
Original post by math4892
What are you struggling with?

i’m okay with learning the content through textbooks but as soon as i tru past papers i struggle immensely. I just can’t apply my knowledge
Original post by chibace23
i’m okay with learning the content through textbooks but as soon as i tru past papers i struggle immensely. I just can’t apply my knowledge

I think you should make flashcards that summarise the key maths concepts you struggle to apply to questions and when you attempt your first past paper, allow yourself to refer back to those flashcards and complete the questions that way. Then mark that past paper and see which topics/skills you need to work on: like maybe it's applying equations or remembering to change the units or maybe you specifically struggle with trigonometry-style questions for example.

Once you know what you need to work on, you can adapt your revision method accordingly - like if you need to you can make one flashcard that contains all the equations you need to know in one place or you can summarise different difficulty levels of trigonometry questions onto a sheet of paper so you know what type of application you need for each type of question.

Then when you try a past paper for the second time try not to use any resources and see how you do. The best way to conquer maths is to practice, mark and repeat - a really good website is ExamQ because it has compiled all the past paper questions into different topics, difficulty levels and papers.

https://www.examq.co.uk/

I hope I helped and good luck for your exams!
Original post by chibace23

use yt videos of people doing a walkthrough past paper to see the proccess of how other people tackle questions
Reply 5
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I think you should make flashcards that summarise the key maths concepts you struggle to apply to questions and when you attempt your first past paper, allow yourself to refer back to those flashcards and complete the questions that way. Then mark that past paper and see which topics/skills you need to work on: like maybe it's applying equations or remembering to change the units or maybe you specifically struggle with trigonometry-style questions for example.
Once you know what you need to work on, you can adapt your revision method accordingly - like if you need to you can make one flashcard that contains all the equations you need to know in one place or you can summarise different difficulty levels of trigonometry questions onto a sheet of paper so you know what type of application you need for each type of question.
Then when you try a past paper for the second time try not to use any resources and see how you do. The best way to conquer maths is to practice, mark and repeat - a really good website is ExamQ because it has compiled all the past paper questions into different topics, difficulty levels and papers.
https://www.examq.co.uk/
I hope I helped and good luck for your exams!

Thank you so much !

Quick Reply

Latest