The Student Room Group

Economics bsc question

I heard that most universities teach the maths for Economics Bsc, so will I be able to get through the maths even though I haven’t done a level maths? Or would it be very difficult?
Original post by Skittles_beans
I heard that most universities teach the maths for Economics Bsc, so will I be able to get through the maths even though I haven’t done a level maths? Or would it be very difficult?

Define difficult.

I think the main maths topics that you would be concerned about include:

Calculus (differentiation in particular)

Logarithms

Series and sequences

Hypothesis testing/normal distribution

If upon looking through the topics and working your way through a variety of questions you find yourself really struggling with zero understanding, it will be difficult. If on the other hand, it doesn't phase you and you seem to do OK, you should be fine.

Unless you decide to be really gutsy and go for the more mathematical modules, the above should get you very far in economics.

The more mathematical but mandatory modules in a standard economics degree tend to be in microeconomics (unless you picked mathematical economics, then good luck). This is where I think you would need to work on your maths the most. Macroeconomics tend to be relatively OK for non-maths people, and econometrics tend to be very doable (since no calculations are really invovled).

If you need to do derivations or calculations, it's most about remembering certain steps or how the derivations are arrived. This will involve practice.

It's not likely that you will be required to do any longwinded manipulations or apply 101 different other formulas to the calculations to get to an answer. Most of it is usually about remembering either the formulae or how to do certain calculations.

Let me know if you want specific resources to help you with the above topics, especially when not all math books in economics are well written.

Depends on the university and course in question. But ultimately, if you meet the minimum entry requirements and receive an offer, there's no reason to expect you'd struggle with the maths more than anyone else on the course. Though you can always get ahead in the summer holiday before starting.
Reply 3

I would say you would find it difficult. Any good Economics degree will at a minimum cover differentiation, basic statistics etc and if you havent done A Level Maths then you will be doing this for the very first time, and you will probably struggle. But its not impossible. If you have a Mathsy mind then you'll pick it up relatively quickly but I would ask why you didn't do Maths A Level? That to me implies you dont really enjoy Maths, in which case, why do a degree where Maths is very useful?

If you dont like Maths but want something vaguely related then do Accounting, Business etc.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending