The Student Room Group

How to revise for English?

Since starting GCSE English, I haven't really found an effective method for revising English appart from reading my book. This is mainly due to english being a little different from other subjects
You don't learn facts like Science or practice methods like Maths...
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeetingman
Since starting GCSE English, I haven't really found an effective method for revising English appart from reading my book. This is mainly due to english being a little different from other subjects
You don't learn facts like Science or practice methods like Maths...
Posted from TSR Mobile

You should go on Mr Bruff on Youtube-He will help.
Read the books, practice analysing the poems etc. supplement the teacher's notes with your own interpretations (if you're inclined to, if you're not confident go with class interpretations) and also with notes on your texts from the internet.
Read books and write essays. By books, I mean ones that challenge you. I'd strongly recommend the work of George Orwell to challenge yourself a little bit. In doing this, you'll develop some flair and grow accustom to analysing writers' use of various language devices. Then, when you're better at English (at an A or A* grade), move onto the work of Dostoevsky. His work'll help you to explore historical context and how narrative can be used to affect the reader.

Best of luck!
Reply 4
Alright cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending