The Student Room Group

GCSEs

I am in year 11, I am studying Maths, English, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, health and social care and computer science.
Can someone let me know any websites, YouTube videos or tips to study to get good grades for these subjects.
Reply 1
use the app seneca learning you can add all your courses from your exam board and do questions and revise whilst you learn. for science you could watch freesciencelessons and mr everything english for english i also watch the gcsse maths tutor for maths as i am also doing gcsse we got this !
Reply 2
Original post by s_19969
use the app seneca learning you can add all your courses from your exam board and do questions and revise whilst you learn. for science you could watch freesciencelessons and mr everything english for english i also watch the gcsse maths tutor for maths as i am also doing gcsse we got this !

ok thank you so much. Are u in year 11? my English teacher said that mr everything English is not good to revise from as he provides wrong details for novels and plays so the people who mark our exam will not accept it as it provides wrong information which will reduce our marks.
Reply 3
Original post by Harman Kaur
I am in year 11, I am studying Maths, English, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, health and social care and computer science.
Can someone let me know any websites, YouTube videos or tips to study to get good grades for these subjects.

What exam boards are you doing for each?
Reply 4
Original post by niamhcols
What exam boards are you doing for each?

Maths: Edexcel
English: AQA
science: AQA
computer science: Edexcel
geography: Edexcel A
health and social care: Btec
Reply 5

Hi, for my GCSEs, I used Mr Bruff for English and the CGP books for the individual stories, but mostly past papers. For Maths I used the Revise Edexel books (this one but I had the guidebook as well), as well as the Corbett maths playlists. For science I used the CGP and Revise AQA books for science (the same ones as the math one.) I also used Cognito and Science Shorts for science.
Reply 6
Maths: Edexcel
English: AQA
science: AQA
computer science: Edexcel
geography: Edexcel A
health and social care: Btec

For science: physics and maths tutor (website) has really good revision materials and past paper questions. Also I watched science with hazel’s videos covering everything on each paper and that got me 9s in my sciences. She also does revision videos I believe.
For maths: physics and maths tutor again
English: Mr everything english, I don’t know what his normal videos are like but the night before every gcse he did livestreams going through the paper and it was really helpful having a recap of what to expect. (I got an 8 and a 9 in English)
Reply 7
For science: physics and maths tutor (website) has really good revision materials and past paper questions. Also I watched science with hazel’s videos covering everything on each paper and that got me 9s in my sciences. She also does revision videos I believe.
For maths: physics and maths tutor again
English: Mr everything english, I don’t know what his normal videos are like but the night before every gcse he did livestreams going through the paper and it was really helpful having a recap of what to expect. (I got an 8 and a 9 in English)

thanks a lot. Have you already done your GCSEs?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
thanks a lot. Have you already done your GCSEs?

Yeah I’ve just started year 12 :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah I’ve just started year 12 :smile:

oh ok, that's great! which subjects are you studying? when do you apply for sixth form and how do you apply for sixth form?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 10
oh ok, that's great! which subjects are you studying? when do you apply for sixth form and how do you apply for sixth form?

Hi sorry I can’t reply to your private message because I’m new to this website but I’m doing history, Latin and psychology. I did french and English at one point but I didn’t like them. I applied to a sixth form but didn’t end up accepting my offer because I preferred the school I was at- but most schools will want you to have applied by January. It varies from school to school. You usually have to write a personal statement which isn’t too complicated and most sixth forms don’t care about it much (as in it does not have to be the best essay you’ve ever written don’t worry)
Reply 11

I had to do another set of mocks in March so I guess I started revising them but I properly started revising just before easter. You don’t need to do an hour a day- you’ll burn out. Revise for tests throughout the year and revise hard for mocks (they often decide your predicted grades which you apply to sixth form with). I’d recommend past papers and if you really don’t understand a topic (which happened to me loads) write out notes. Revision guides are way better than textbooks as they condense information. English I found so hard!! I wish I had focused more on context. Ultimately knowing context is more important than quotes. It will make your essays sound really good if you get the big idea and what the writer was trying to do. Tell me if any of this doesn’t make sense (I wish I could private message u about this but like I said I can’t yet)
Reply 12
I had to do another set of mocks in March so I guess I started revising them but I properly started revising just before easter. You don’t need to do an hour a day- you’ll burn out. Revise for tests throughout the year and revise hard for mocks (they often decide your predicted grades which you apply to sixth form with). I’d recommend past papers and if you really don’t understand a topic (which happened to me loads) write out notes. Revision guides are way better than textbooks as they condense information. English I found so hard!! I wish I had focused more on context. Ultimately knowing context is more important than quotes. It will make your essays sound really good if you get the big idea and what the writer was trying to do. Tell me if any of this doesn’t make sense (I wish I could private message u about this but like I said I can’t yet)

ok thanks a lot. where do you make a personal statement and what do you write in it? How do you apply for sixth form online or by visiting the sixth form that I want to go to?
How many sixth forms should I apply for?
Should I start revising now?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 13
ok thanks a lot. where do you make a personal statement and what do you write in it? How do you apply for sixth form online or by visiting the sixth form that I want to go to?
How many sixth forms should I apply for?
Should I start revising now?

So you can draft in in just a word document. Then go to the website for the school you want to apply to and they’ll most likely have instructions on the application process. If you’re applying to a competitive sixth form- apply to two (one that you’re confident you’ll get into). If not- one should be okay. You don’t need to be revising heavily now. Definitely start planning your revision (revision timetable- just plan what you’re going to do each day leading up to mocks) for mocks but any revision you do now won’t help much in the long term. Just make sure you’re understanding topics as you go- it’ll make it so much easier when it comes to actual revision. Start revising for mocks maybe a month before- and gradually make your revision more intense as they get closer. I cannot stress enough that if you revise for hours every day you will just get burnt out and be tired all the time (from personal experience).
Reply 14
So you can draft in in just a word document. Then go to the website for the school you want to apply to and they’ll most likely have instructions on the application process. If you’re applying to a competitive sixth form- apply to two (one that you’re confident you’ll get into). If not- one should be okay. You don’t need to be revising heavily now. Definitely start planning your revision (revision timetable- just plan what you’re going to do each day leading up to mocks) for mocks but any revision you do now won’t help much in the long term. Just make sure you’re understanding topics as you go- it’ll make it so much easier when it comes to actual revision. Start revising for mocks maybe a month before- and gradually make your revision more intense as they get closer. I cannot stress enough that if you revise for hours every day you will just get burnt out and be tired all the time (from personal experience).

thanks yeh that's true. I will start revising one month before the exams. I'll plan now.

Quick Reply

Latest