The Student Room Group

Suggestions on Uni's/Courses (Uni Drop-out)

Hi,
A few months back i started uni at USW (university of south wales) doing computer science. The course wasn't for me and i didnt really like the university campus. i also didnt really get along with anyone on my course so i ended up dropping out after about a month and a half. I was driving to uni everyday since i was able to live at home so i believe that i didnt get the full uni experience since i wasn't in halls.

I am looking to go back to uni in 2015, but i want to go somewhere where i can live in halls, but not too far from home (Cardiff). Somewhere preferably in the South Wales/South-West England area.

I would also like some suggestions on courses. I have done a BTEC extended diploma in IT for 2 years in college. So i am looking to do something computer based (not computer science). I am more oriented towards the creative aspect of IT, like graphic design for instance.

To sum it up i would love some suggestions on:

Universities in the South Wales/South-West England area.

Courses that are oriented to me (creative but involve IT) & not computer science.

If you have been to or currently go to any universities in these kinda areas, what was the university like in terms of teaching and activity wise? How was halls? Were the people there great? How was the nightlife? Any good clubs/pubs, because id like a uni thats fun and isnt in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks!
I'm applying for animation so I'm going to be a bit biased here but... consider animation? It combines both art and logic, and there is a surprising amount of 'computery' stuff that is needed in Animation (people capable of writing new plugins, scripts, effects, etc). A 'computer animation and VFX' course would be something to look into as it deals more with this 'stuff', which is slightly different from the usual 'Animation' course which focuses alot on things like 2D/3D modelling and drawing.

Or just general Media/Graphic design courses, any which gives you a broad range of programs to learn + technical modules sounds like it'll suit you (dealing with web design and so forth)
Reply 2
Original post by coffeecakey
I'm applying for animation so I'm going to be a bit biased here but... consider animation? It combines both art and logic, and there is a surprising amount of 'computery' stuff that is needed in Animation (people capable of writing new plugins, scripts, effects, etc). A 'computer animation and VFX' course would be something to look into as it deals more with this 'stuff', which is slightly different from the usual 'Animation' course which focuses alot on things like 2D/3D modelling and drawing.

Or just general Media/Graphic design courses, any which gives you a broad range of programs to learn + technical modules sounds like it'll suit you (dealing with web design and so forth)

Thanks for the suggestions ill definutely look animation up! I went through clearing about half a year ago and felt rushed into a decision to go to uni when really i should have just taken a gap year (which i am now).

I didnt feel ready to go into halls so i went to a local uni which was a bad idea as i barely made any friends since everyone on my course already knew each other from halls. It was literally the worst month of my life haha.

I enjoy using computers but mainly for things like photo/video editing, creating moving objects and just generally the creative side opposed to the more boring writing code side of it. Thanks! :smile:
Universities which might interest you are Aberystwyth, bath spa, Plymouth, uwe in bristol and university of wales trinity in Swansea. look into them
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities which might interest you are Aberystwyth, bath spa, Plymouth, uwe in bristol and university of wales trinity in Swansea. look into them

Will look into all of them! thanks for the suggestions although i think bath is hard to get into and has very few courses compared to others. :smile:
Original post by Joeey
Will look into all of them! thanks for the suggestions although i think bath is hard to get into and has very few courses compared to others. :smile:

swanseajack said Bath Spa, not Bath. Bath Spa have a huge range of courses as well as being known for doing all sorts of combined courses, so it's more than likely they'll have something that interests you. And most of their offers are at around 300 UCAS points.
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
swanseajack said Bath Spa, not Bath. Bath Spa have a huge range of courses as well as being known for doing all sorts of combined courses, so it's more than likely they'll have something that interests you. And most of their offers are at around 300 UCAS points.

Ah right, never heard of it. Thanks ill have a good look :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by coffeecakey
Sounds like you have your answer then! Pick a course that relates to those interests and you will excell at it :smile: If you dare to venture further up North, I'll be at DMU for animation :smile: Otherwise, Plymouth and Bristol both get my vote as great places to live and study at.

Haha yeah! I would love to be able to check out courses further up north and even further towards the East but i dont think id be able to cope with long journeys and that. I want to be able to go home with few problems if i really want to. Will look into Plymouth!
I would suggest you look into UWE 1/2 hour by train from Cardiff UWTSD in Swansea 1 hour by train and Bath Spa 1 hour by train from Cardiff. Plymouth and Aber are slightly further away. Also look into Swansea uni as well although the grades might be slightly higher, Bath has 2 unis Bath university asks for high grades whereas Bath Spa asks for lower grades. Similarly Swansea asks for higher grades than UWTSD and has a fantastic campus and is really worth looking into
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
I would suggest you look into UWE 1/2 hour by train from Cardiff UWTSD in Swansea 1 hour by train and Bath Spa 1 hour by train from Cardiff. Plymouth and Aber are slightly further away. Also look into Swansea uni as well although the grades might be slightly higher, Bath has 2 unis Bath university asks for high grades whereas Bath Spa asks for lower grades. Similarly Swansea asks for higher grades than UWTSD and has a fantastic campus and is really worth looking into

Ive taken note of all the uni's you have mentioned, just have to do some research and find out which is the best for me course wise etc. :smile:
good luck
I was going to apply for computer science courses, but I also changed my mind and decided a IT course more focused on the design would suit me better. I found courses such as Graphic Design as well as Interactive media design/Digital interaction design. These courses focus more on the creative side of IT as well as some technical aspects such as web design etc.
Reply 12
Original post by bshannon641
I was going to apply for computer science courses, but I also changed my mind and decided a IT course more focused on the design would suit me better. I found courses such as Graphic Design as well as Interactive media design/Digital interaction design. These courses focus more on the creative side of IT as well as some technical aspects such as web design etc.

Yeah i can definitely relate! Computer Science is based on maths pretty much which isn't me to be honest. It involved binary, programming, algebra and generally maths that i honestly couldn't bare with since i felt so out of place. In my month and a half doing computer science i could hardly stay awake in lectures or in class since i was that bored.

The last lesson i had before i realized that enough was enough was funnily enough a test. It was pretty much a programming test that according to my lecturers was easy and everyone should get 100%. I tried my best to understand it, but i just couldn't understand it haha. I checked online how i did and ended up with 10% which was likely the lowest in the class. At that moment i knew it just wasn't for me haha, so i quit straight away.

Best decision i made to be honest. Ive had a few months off now and its given me time to think. Im currently looking into a Digital Media course at UWE and it literally looks like the course for me!
Reply 13
University of Gloucestershire offers multimedia web design which combines a little web coding with lots of multimedia creation (photo manipulation, graphic creations, videos, sound, flash etc..) it's close to Wales too

You would be based in Cheltenham which is a lovely, clean high class place with great clubs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Bedo
University of Gloucestershire offers multimedia web design which combines a little web coding with lots of multimedia creation (photo manipulation, graphic creations, videos, sound, flash etc..) it's close to Wales too

You would be based in Cheltenham which is a lovely, clean high class place with great clubs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Heard a few good things about Gloucestershire and have already considered it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending