The Student Room Group

Uni

Hi I recently moved to uni and feel like I haven’t found anyone I click with yet I don’t like it here I way prefer being home working and with all my home friends or visiting all my home friends while there at uni I feel guilty because sometimes I do enjoy meeting new people but I think it’s all too much and the actual uni life isn’t for me I’m going off nights out and I just don’t enjoy it anymore but I don’t know what I’d do if I did dropout
Original post by miawez123
Hi I recently moved to uni and feel like I haven’t found anyone I click with yet I don’t like it here I way prefer being home working and with all my home friends or visiting all my home friends while there at uni I feel guilty because sometimes I do enjoy meeting new people but I think it’s all too much and the actual uni life isn’t for me I’m going off nights out and I just don’t enjoy it anymore but I don’t know what I’d do if I did dropout

Hi @miawez123,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not enjoying university at the moment.

Some suggestions maybe would be:

Have you joined a society? these can be great ways of meeting likeminded people who have similar interests, if there aren't any that interest you could you make your own society?
Have you looked into any events that happen on campus as a way of connecting with people if you don't want to do a night out all the time - for example at Edge Hill there is a campus connectors team who put on events for people to meet such as a sober social on Saturdays which is a quiz, crafternoons and more.
Have you spoke a lot with course mates, have you got involved with them such as doing activities outside of class?
Is there the option for you to commute instead?

Do remember you haven't been there long and can sometimes take time to settle and get use to living away from home. I would suggest maybe sticking through till Christmas time if you are up for it but if not it is fine to drop out of university if it is just not something for you at this time or ever.

There are other options if you do decide uni isn't for you such as:
apprenticeships - advanced, higher or degree level
jobs
Here's a link UCAS gives on other options to university.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

I hope it gets better for you soon with whatever you make

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi @miawez123,

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

It can be tough in the beginning to make friends and move to a new place, but just remember you haven't been there for long and it'll take some time to settle in. If you are considering dropping out, a lot of people will likely tell you to stick it out until Christmas and see how you feel then. This might be a good idea, as it gives you time to settle in and enjoy university, but also to consider other options too. If you feel like it is not for you however, dropping out is absolutely fine. Here is a good resource to get started if you feel like considering other options: https://www.savethestudent.org/student-jobs/what-are-the-alternatives-to-university.html.

I'd suggest trying to meet new people, such as through a sport or society, volunteering, on your course, or through part-time work. It might help you to settle in better if you find some like-minded people, and doing activities like these can give you some structure. Going on nights out isn't something that everyone does and it's not something that you have to do, so maybe you just have to find something else you enjoy doing.

I personally found that building a routine helped me to settle in each new year at university, as it helped me to reduce stress, get enough sleep, and I was able to plan fun activities that made Chester feel like a home away from home!

You might not be taking the same path as others, but whatever you choose to do, make sure it is the right choice for you.

Best of luck,
Isabella
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi @miawez123,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

It might be worth reaching out to a variety of services that are available to you at university and at home to get a variety of advice, Wellbeing services and student support could help with addressing some of the feelings you are experiencing.

There is no pressure to enjoy nights out, for a lot of students they discover that going out is really not for them, and that is okay. You might find people who prefer spending the evening indoors doing something like arts and crafts. Joining societies might help you find common ground with people.

With regards to dropping out, I would say do not drop out until you have another plan in place or are 100% sure university is not for you. Would going to a university closer to home help?

I hope this helps a bit and wish you all the best. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

@miawez123

Are you enjoying your course?

It's good that you have been able to visit home and see family : ), but it can make it easier to feel more homesick.

Being in a new place and away from home is difficult but that doesn't mean that you should drop out of university!

University is a time for growth. It's a time when you grow as person, learn more about yourself, become more independent and become more pro-active in forming friendships. It can be a steep learning curve, but when you get through it and realise that you have become more confident talking to new people, when you find it easier to make conversation with a range of people and when you make university friends, then the homesickness will ease.

Try joining some societies and see how it goes. Hopefully you will meet some great people : )

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there
If you have just moved in don’t panic! This was literally me for SO long :smile: I found quickly that nights out were pant really my thing and that’s so ok! I now go climbing, swimming, band and orchestra, found; societies I love which meant I found friends which I love. You will get into the swing of it soon. I love uni for even in second year I STILL prefer home. Defo not a bad thing or something you should worry about
Hang in there
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending