The Student Room Group

Maths vs Dentistry?

Scroll to see replies

Maths is definitely valued. Maths at degree level is not designed to teach you how to do calculations super quickly or solve equations using 100 methods. Rather it's more abstract and it helps you think in a different way and approach problems in a logical manner. It's this ' thinking style ' that is valued by employers.

If you ain't done maths at degree you don't have an idea of how difficult it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
My friend just did a Maths degree and got a 1st using Wolfram and his graphical calculator (to be fair he got a top of the range one, Casio i believe).

Please tell me where he studied his degree. I don't believe you. It literally isn't possible. He would have needed to understand at least a basic level of proof.
No you can apply to finance from a dentistry degree and those who get finance jobs are accounting and law/Econ graduates not maths grads.

Also dentists are guaranteed near £100k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work in finance and I'm a maths grad. Ive had two graduate jobs both in finance. Anyone with any degree can apply to finance grad schemes..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheIrrational
Stop. Stop. Just stop. You are stupid, incredibly stupid. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

If I were to comment on matters of nuclear physics and say that nuclear fusion could never happen because I don't understand it then I would be stupid. Like you commenting on maths and IB and "jobs in the city".

A maths degree can not be done on a calculator.

I will give you a first year first term maths question and please tell me the solution using a calculator...

"A sequence ana_n is called cauchy if for all ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 there exists a N > 0 such that for m,n > N anam<ϵ|a_n - a_m| < \epsilon

Suppose (an)a(a_n) \rightarrow a. Show that anamana+aam|a_n - a_m| \leq |a_n - a| + |a - a_m|. Use this fact to prove that (an)(a_n) is Cauchy."

Now this question is so easy for a first year student it's almost trivial. So please PLEASE do it on a calculator. Or explain how it could be done on a calculator.

All three degrees you stated are very well respected. Just please don't say thing you know nothing about.

Also, I know many people on my course (maths) who have jobs within investment banks. I myself have a job as an actuary (finance job in the city).

Genuinely can't tell if this thread is a joke or not any more...

un+pun=k=1pun+kun+k1|un+pun|k=0p1|un+k+1un+k|k=0p1bn+kbn1b
so
supp0|un+pun|0

when n , that is u is a Cauchy sequence.

Sorry my calculator put u rather than n :frown:
My friend just did a Maths degree and got a 1st using Wolfram and his graphical calculator (to be fair he got a top of the range one, Casio i believe).

From where? If it was london met then I can believe that.
Reply 65
Let's not beat around the bush here guys.
We all know none of these degrees are anything close to the prestige of Psychology. :cool:

inb4 relentless barrage of abuse that makes me cry.
Please tell me where he studied his degree. I don't believe you. It literally isn't possible. He would have needed to understand at least a basic level of proof.

Wawrick
Original post by bijesh12
I work in finance and I'm a maths grad. Ive had two graduate jobs both in finance. Anyone with any degree can apply to finance grad schemes..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your roles. They would prefer someone with a professional qualification such as LLB or ACA however.

Original post by james22
From where? If it was london met then I can believe that.

He did it at Wawrick.

Probably did a numerate degree with some maths component. Every maths degree would have an element of proof

Posted from TSR Mobile
un+pun=k=1pun+kun+k1|un+pun|k=0p1|un+k+1un+k|k=0p1bn+kbn1b
so
supp0|un+pun|0

when n , that is u is a Cauchy sequence.

Sorry my calculator put u rather than n :frown:

0/7.

I taught the module this year for that question and had access to the mark scheme. You just got 0/7. What you put there was literally nonsense. You just proved me correct for anyone who understands anyone who knows anything about maths.
0/7.

I taught the module this year for that question and had access to the mark scheme. You just got 0/7. What you put there was literally nonsense. You just proved me correct for anyone who understands anyone who knows anything about maths.

Ah well :frown: that's why I don't do maths I guess, probably typed the wrong thing into my calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bijesh12
Probably did a numerate degree with some maths component. Every maths degree would have an element of proof

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to the above - no he didn't.

Wawrick

Now I know you're joking...

He didn't. He really didn't do a maths degree at Warwick on a calculator and get a first. I know it's impossible - for a start all maths exams at Warwick are non-calculator - please explain how you would do it on a calculator
According to the above - no he didn't.

Now I know you're joking...

He didn't. He really didn't do a maths degree at Warwick on a calculator and get a first. I know it's impossible - for a start all maths exams at Warwick are non-calculator - please explain how you would do it on a calculator

He snuck his in to the exams!
autism vs confident people

I go with confident people
He snuck his in to the exams!

This thread is ridiculous. He didn't because you can't do a Warwick paper on a calculator. I know this because I'm at Warwick.

I'm getting out of this thread. Dentistry is well respected which is what you want to hear.

In general you are arrogant and know nothing of what you talk. I doubt you will get into dentistry, or if you already have that shows you it is not as respected as you think - as they let you in.

Good luck.
This thread is ridiculous. He didn't because you can't do a Warwick paper on a calculator. I know this because I'm at Warwick.

I'm getting out of this thread. Dentistry is well respected which is what you want to hear.

In general you are arrogant and know nothing of what you talk. I doubt you will get into dentistry, or if you already have that shows you it is not as respected as you think - as they let you in.

Good luck.

Maybe they changed the layout of the degree then? He's now at a school doing a PGCE.

I don't care whether it is respected or not, who said I want to go into it anyway? Good luck with your degree :smile:

"A sequence ana_n is called cauchy if for all ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 there exists a N > 0 such that for m,n > N anam<ϵ|a_n - a_m| < \epsilon

Suppose (an)a(a_n) \rightarrow a. Show that anamana+aam|a_n - a_m| \leq |a_n - a| + |a - a_m|. Use this fact to prove that (an)(a_n) is Cauchy."

Thought I'd take a stab let me know if this is right I'm new to proof based maths.

Since an0\displaystyle a_n \rightarrow 0 we know  ϵ>0  NN s.t ana<ϵ2  n>N\displaystyle \forall ~\epsilon>0~\exists ~N\in\mathbb{N}~s.t~|a_n-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}~\forall~n>N so  m>n>0\displaystyle \forall~m>n>0 we have ama<ϵ2\displaystyle |a_m-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}
we know by the triangle inequality that anam=(ana)(ama)ana+amaϵ2+ϵ2=ϵ\displaystyle |a_n-a_m|=|(a_n-a)-(a_m-a)|\leq |a_n-a|+|a_m-a|\leq\frac{\epsilon}{2}+ \frac{\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon.

Since ϵ\displaystyle \epsilon was arbitrary we conclude an\displaystyle a_n is Cauchy.

Whoever thinks you can do this on a calculator is either trolling or I feel really sorry for them. Maths and Dentistry are both respected degrees so do whichever one you think you will enjoy more. I really enjoy a lot of the areas in maths so I decided to do that even though I'm not amazing at it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poorform
Thought I'd take a stab let me know if this is right I'm new to proof based maths.

Since an0\displaystyle a_n \rightarrow 0 we know  ϵ>0  NN s.t ana<ϵ2  n>N\displaystyle \forall ~\epsilon>0~\exists ~N\in\mathbb{N}~s.t~|a_n-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}~\forall~n>N so  m>n>0\displaystyle \forall~m>n>0 we have ama<ϵ2\displaystyle |a_m-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}
we know by the triangle inequality that anam=(ana)(ama)ana+amaϵ2+ϵ2=ϵ\displaystyle |a_n-a_m|=|(a_n-a)-(a_m-a)|\leq |a_n-a|+|a_m-a|\leq\frac{\epsilon}{2}+ \frac{\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon.

Since ϵ\displaystyle \epsilon was arbitrary we conclude an\displaystyle a_n is Cauchy.

Whoever thinks you can do this on a calculator is either trolling or I feel really sorry for them. Maths and Dentistry are both respected degrees so do whichever one you think you will enjoy more. I really enjoy a lot of the areas in maths so I decided to do that even though I'm not amazing at it.

What calculator you got? Mine is poverty Panasonic, may have to upgrade to yours.
What calculator you got? Mine is poverty Panasonic, may have to upgrade to yours.

I just used Wolfram Alpha, I'm going to sneak it in to all my exams so I can get an easy first.

Then I'm going to use it to prove Goldbach's conjecture and get $1,000,000 then I'm going to invest it and make more millions then I'm going to party, take drugs and sleep with 50 women a week because I can YOLO.
Wawrick

Total bull**** unless he snuck in a super computer with automatic proof software.
Original post by poorform
I just used Wolfram Alpha, I'm going to sneak it in to all my exams so I can get an easy first.

Then I'm going to use it to prove Goldbach's conjecture and get $1,000,000 then I'm going to invest it and make more millions then I'm going to party, take drugs and sleep with 50 women a week because I can YOLO.

Haha good luck with that!!
Original post by james22
Total bull**** unless he snuck in a super computer with automatic proof software.

No he snuck in his calculator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending