The Student Room Group

EPQ for dentist or general medicine

I am not sure if I would like to be a dentist or a GP. I have recently appeared for GCSE. Is there a EPQ topic which I can pick which can be relevant for both general medicine and dentistry.
Original post by MaaSaraswati
I am not sure if I would like to be a dentist or a GP. I have recently appeared for GCSE. Is there a EPQ topic which I can pick which can be relevant for both general medicine and dentistry.

maybe look into cost of healthcare around the world and cover dental as well as medical - perhaps the rise in cosmetic treatments vs essentials in the west eg veneers or plastic surgery. epq is good to talk about in personal statements as in interviews you could be asked about it but typically for medicine it wont give you reduced entry offers whereas for dentistry some unis offer reduced grades with an A or A* in epq
Reply 2
Thanks what do you mean by university offer reduced grades. Do they actually take it as a negative if someone has done an EPQ.
Original post by MaaSaraswati
Thanks what do you mean by university offer reduced grades. Do they actually take it as a negative if someone has done an EPQ.

no reduced offers is a good thing it means you need to achieve lower grades to get into the uni compared to someone who hasnt done epq. unis really like epq as it shows you can work independently without guidance and also can research and study similarly to uni work. medicine usually doesnt consider epq and some dental schools do but not all. i applied for architecture so my unis all gave me reduced grades as i got A* in epq but my friends who also got A* but did medicine only got reduced offer of AAB (was AAA) from sheffield
Reply 4
Original post by arch17
no reduced offers is a good thing it means you need to achieve lower grades to get into the uni compared to someone who hasnt done epq. unis really like epq as it shows you can work independently without guidance and also can research and study similarly to uni work. medicine usually doesnt consider epq and some dental schools do but not all. i applied for architecture so my unis all gave me reduced grades as i got A* in epq but my friends who also got A* but did medicine only got reduced offer of AAB (was AAA) from sheffield

Which university has the highest acceptance for medicine and which one for dentistry
Your EPQ topic doesn't matter. In fact it's likely an EPQ won't be considered for admissions to either dentistry or medicine.

If you want something you can write about in your PS, any generally (bio)science focused project would be suitable.

However unless you have something specific in mind already, I wouldn't recommend doing an EPQ just for the sake of it, as it's not going to really make a difference if you're just doing it purely for "personal statement fodder".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending