The Student Room Group

Repeating year 12

Hi I am currently in year 12 studying BTEC extended diploma in Engineering and A-level maths so 4 a-levels. But now since its ben about half the year I feel like Engineering isn't something I will ever enjoy. TBH I feel stupid for picking it.
So the GCSE grades I got was 9.9 in combined science and my question is if I change my subjects next year and repeat year 12 with different subjects to Biology, Chemistry and Geography or Maths(depends on my maths end of year grade). Judging by my GCSE grades would I manage the science subjects. I know it sounds like it's a stupid question but everyone, who I have asked has only said how hard they are and how the GCSE grades don't really matter when it comes to A-level. Please advise if I should just go for the change or should I stick with the engineering, which is a bit easier and go into a carreer that isn't bad but I wont really enjoy.

Also, if I switch to the A-levels would it stop me getting into dentinsty becasue i'm still completing them within 2 years but I would just be one year older.
Reply 1
Original post by zak.sa1
Hi I am currently in year 12 studying BTEC extended diploma in Engineering and A-level maths so 4 a-levels. But now since its ben about half the year I feel like Engineering isn't something I will ever enjoy. TBH I feel stupid for picking it.
So the GCSE grades I got was 9.9 in combined science and my question is if I change my subjects next year and repeat year 12 with different subjects to Biology, Chemistry and Geography or Maths(depends on my maths end of year grade). Judging by my GCSE grades would I manage the science subjects. I know it sounds like it's a stupid question but everyone, who I have asked has only said how hard they are and how the GCSE grades don't really matter when it comes to A-level. Please advise if I should just go for the change or should I stick with the engineering, which is a bit easier and go into a carreer that isn't bad but I wont really enjoy.
Also, if I switch to the A-levels would it stop me getting into dentinsty becasue i'm still completing them within 2 years but I would just be one year older.
As someone who doesn't do any science subjects but knows people who do science subjects and got similar grades to you at GCSE, I'll be honest, its a big jump. A level biology and chemistry content basically wipes away most concepts you learnt at GCSE or expands upon them till the point of unrecognition. However, it is doable and if you put in the work, I'm sure you'll do great. You should definitely not feel stupid for picking BTEC engineering, as there is so much pressure put on us at a young age to make up our minds career wise without considering the possibility of changing your mind. Coming into A levels I was so sure I wanted to be a psychologist and now, I've completely U-turned and decided to go down the law route. If you don't think you would enjoy a career in engineering, don't be an engineer - it's as simple as that. There's no point perusing something you aren't passionate about, you'll just remain unhappy and wondering what could have been. Since you're doing a BTEC and A level maths, I'm assuming you won't be sitting any official qualifications at the end of the year, which means your chances at dentistry will not be impacted by restarting Year 12. Even if you are sitting an AS qualification in maths, you should ideally be allowed to sit the real A level next year if you don't drop it. I'll be honest, if I were you I would drop it if you feel you may do better in geography or if you think it will be too much pressure doing one A level next year and preparing for a new set of predicted UCAS grades. A lot of people believe you need maths to get into dentistry, and while it's useful, its not necessary. I think you have a better shot with choosing geography as its a more unique subject and it will give you a break from pure STEM subjects (although there's some overlap). Good luck to you!
Reply 2
I've been told that this year is informal to me so I can still do dentistry. But I was just worried that the science subjects were a big jump. Of course they are but if you put the right amount of work in do you think it's doable. Also if you don't mind me asking what subjects did you end up taking and how did you do in them

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by zak.sa1
I've been told that this year is informal to me so I can still do dentistry. But I was just worried that the science subjects were a big jump. Of course they are but if you put the right amount of work in do you think it's doable. Also if you don't mind me asking what subjects did you end up taking and how did you do in them
Thanks
I’m taking philosophy psychology and politics right now and I’m doing quite well in them! My assessments are infrequent but most of my grades are in the A*-B range. I’m glad my GCSE science grade proved that I’m not cut out for STEM because it helped me redirect my path towards law which is a career path that I love. I did consider medicine at some points but honestly I’m better at essays.
Reply 4
Well thanks for that info but do you know anything about the application to dentistry school. I know it's hard to get into if I don't get into it the course do I just need to apply again next year or are there any other routes in. Also what it good to boost my application
Reply 5
Original post by zak.sa1
Well thanks for that info but do you know anything about the application to dentistry school. I know it's hard to get into if I don't get into it the course do I just need to apply again next year or are there any other routes in. Also what it good to boost my application
I don’t have too much dentistry knowledge, more so medicine knowledge so I think if you want more detailed advice you should probably post something on the dentistry forum - I’ll do my best to help though.

I believe there’s only two routes into dentistry and that’s either undergraduate or postgraduate dentistry. With undergraduate dentistry if you were to be rejected from all 4 of your choices (since you can only pick 4 for dentistry) then you would either have to apply again, pick your fifth non-dentistry option (assuming you got into that) or try and go through clearing if there’s any dentistry courses put out in August. If you were to pick your fifth option or pick a non-dentistry course through clearing, you may be able to get onto a postgraduate dentistry course, so long as you are studying a science degree. Postgraduate dentistry is more competitive, however it gives you more times to tailor your application and gain relevant work experience.

In terms of making your application stand out, I would say utilising your work experience is the main thing you should be aiming to do. I believe all dentistry and medical schools still require some form of work experience (though that might have changed after Covid) so I would place a heavy emphasis on using this in your personal statement. To gain work experience, I recommend emailing dental practices until you gain a response, because it’s likely that you will with some determination. Even though I’ll be applying to do law, I gained general surgery experience because healthcare law is something I’m interested in, and I was given the placement through emailing a range of different hospitals. I think the best advice for you might be from the dentistry forums rather than from me because there’s only so much I know, but I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 6
Thank you so much you've been a huge help

Quick Reply

Latest